Canada
14C / 57F
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 33s
Overall Rank = 85/120
Age Group = Mens OUA
Age Group Rank = 85/120
Pre-race routine:

it was an early start to the day waking up at 5:00am. Had some honey bunches of oats, maple brown sugar oatmeal, a protein drink and a muffin. My buddy Michael picked me up at at 5:55 and we headed to the pac. The ride was per usual, quiet at first as people wer trying to sleep and then after a bit of time the tunes came on and we were getting excited to race. we arrived early at about 8:05 with the race not starting till 10:50. we hung around, walked the course (witnessed some bad golf cart driving by teammates lol) then just waited until warmup time.
Event warmup:

For warmup we did the usual 20min jog, strides, drills, stretching. i had a cliff bar during the first little while.
Run
  • 36m 33s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 40s  min/km
Comments:

the run was decent enough. i started out and did my first 5k in about 18 minutes flat which was decent enough. I had hoped to negative split the second half but it proved to be harder than i hoped. the second 5k was 18:30 ish. i did make up a lot of ground though as the race went on. i was 8th on my team, so i have some work to do. the start was slow as it bunched up quickly and at the first turn i was pretty much walking to to the clump of runners in such a tight space, it spread out as the race continued and those who went out too hard faded away(of course not including the top athletes who just continued their paces)
What would you do differently?:

not really sure,i think it is just going to be training more
Post race
Warm down:

not much of a warm down. went to start to jog but the legs werent feeling it so i just stopped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

potentially a knee injury, not really sure whats goin on there, but getting it checked out monday. And just overall fitness, i havent had much of a break since Muskoka 70.3 so i feel im still a tad fatigued. I just need to make sure i keep training and take advantage of rest days and hope my muscles are golden come next weekend at the waterloo open

Event comments:

not bad race overall, but wasnt the greatest thats for sure, a bit dissapointed, looking to much better and bigger things! next year i hope to be back

Last updated: 2011-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:33 | 10 kms | 03m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 85/120
Overall: 120/120
Performance: Average
Course: the course was a two loop 5k route on a golf course. fairly nice course but fairly hard and hilly to say the least.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-24 2:23 PM

User image

New user

Waterloo
Subject: western invitational xc race

2011-09-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3698969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Subject: RE: western invitational xc race

36:30 is a stellar time! you should be very happy with the result considering all the additional training and racing you have been doing. In my opinion, you will be faster in road races than in XC cause the courses are just a lot hillier and challenging in general.

How is the accuracy with the OUA stuff? pretty accurate with distances? Did you use your Garmin to check?

Keep it up and the times will keep dropping!

2011-09-27 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3701379

User image

New user

Waterloo
Subject: RE: western invitational xc race

i guess you have a point, i was just expecting a bit of a quicker time. and true, all the guys were saying even before the race tonot expect a fast time here because it was one of the hillier courses. unfortunately i didnt use the garmin, just been using normal watch in the actual races for xc. My guess is its fairly accurate, theyve been doing the meet for a while so id assume theyve gotten it right (at least id like to hope so lol)

Thanks Chris,ill keep working at it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » western invitational xc race Rss Feed