General Discussion Race Reports! » Pitch Pine - NH CLub Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pitch Pine - NH CLub Championships - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tamworth, New Hampshire
United States
Tri Tek
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 7s
Overall Rank = 1/142
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Well I stayed with my friend Nancy at her parents the night before the race. However, the ride there did not go well to say the least. It was raining so I had my bike on bike rack with a cover over it. Since I had my disc cover on so I couldn't put the strap through my rear wheel like I normally do. However, I had driven with it that way, quite a few times and never had any issues. We were a little over half way there when all of the sudden I looked back and I couldn't see my bike! I immediately pulled over and was in absolute shock! When I got out of the car, I saw my bike dragging behind the car. I was basically shitting myself and it was very dark so I couldn't see too well, but at first glance it didn't look too bad. The carbon on my left handlebar was shaved down and my seat was ripped up. This obviously sucks, but it could have been a heck of a lot worse! I think the cover I had over it is what saved me. The cover was stretched out underneath the bottom of the rack and helped keep the bike from falling completely off. Let's just say it was quiet ride the rest of the way, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how lucky I was.
Event warmup:

Since it was a 9am start, I got there nice and early. I hadn't ridden my bike since it fell of the rack so I wanted to make sure to take it for a ride. I did about a 10 minute ride and the bike sounded pretty good. I then did about a 6-7' run with Chad and Nate. After that, I went down the water and maybe swam about 100 yards.
Swim
  • 09m 12s
  • 583 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well there were only about 12-15 people in my wave. We were the first wave and it took forever for them to start the race.

When they finally got started, my teammate Jim who I coach and I took off. I beat him to the first buoy, but he passed me on the way to the second buoy. I decided to stick with him and drafted off him some. However, he was drifting off a bit wide so I continued to sight. We rounded the final buoy together and headed to the shore. I ended up coming out of the water 5 seconds behind Jim.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. Happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Not thrilled with my T1. I had trouble getting my zipper down on my wetsuit coming out of the water and then I dropped my Garmin when I was pulling my sleeve off. My right foot got stuck in my wetsuit, but I did still get it off pretty quickly.

Jim and I had identical T1's so I came out right behind him. I rode with my feet on top of my shoes for a while because it was a slight incline heading out of the park.

Not drop my Garmin and not get my heel stuck.
Bike
  • 35m 48s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 22.96 mile/hr
Comments:

For some reason they didn't have my bike split. I forgot to hit the lap on my Garmin coming out of T2 so I'm not sure what exactly my bike split was, but this is an estimate.

I passed Jim pretty much right at the start of the ride when we were getting up to speed. That meant I was in the lead! There was a motorcycle leading the way so that was pretty cool too! I lead for the first 4 miles or so and then Jim passed me and he held the lead until we got to the top of the hill. The only real hill on the course was about a mile or so long, but it was broken up into small sections, which was nice. However, the course winded around a lot so you couldn't tell where the end of the hill was. I pushed hard on the uphill. On the downhill, I dropped the hammer and passed him. From that point on, I held the lead.

My legs really didn't feel great throughout the ride again. It's been a long season and I think my bike legs could definitely use a rest. I wasn't thrilled with my avg power, but I guess it was good enough.

Not too much. I would have liked to have had a higher power output, but oh well. I definitely gave it my all.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

T2 went better. No really issues here.
Run
  • 17m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I headed out in the lead. Some of the volunteers weren't quite ready for me so there was one point where I was really confused on where to go. However, I guessed the right direction and saw a volunteer about .2 miles later which I was very happy about. Once I got out on the road outside of the park, there was a really long open straight away. It felt really weird/lonely being out in the lead and there weren't many volunteers so I was always kind of questioning if I was going the right way. I knew there were some fast people in later waves so I had to keep pushing. As I approached the turnaround, the volunteer stumbled out of his car just in time to ensure me that I was to just turn around and head back where I came from.

It was nice to see the other competitors on the way back. I passed my Jim first and he looked pretty strong. However, my teammate Nate was the person I probably concerned most about so I was eager to see him. He came not too much longer and he looked strong. This motivated me to keep on pushing. I just focused on keeping my cadence up and was really happy with my time.

As I approached the finish, I was pretty excited. However, as I mentioned above, I knew I had to keep on pushing because someone from another wave could still beat me.

It would have been nice to have known the course a little bit more, but that's about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much of a cool down. I just waited around the finish line for my finishers to come in. I was looking at the clock pretty eagerly to see if I was going to get the overall win. I was talking the timing guy and he told me that if the clock got to about 1:11, that I should have it. The time went by pretty slowly, but once it passed that time, it felt pretty cool!

NorthEast MultiSport ended up having 4 of the top 7 finishers which was pretty awesome!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The is know the second race where my bike legs just haven't been there. Besides that, I'm really happy with how it went.

Event comments:

It was awesome to win a race! That is the first time I've ever done that. I really didn't see that coming, especially at this race as it was the NH Club Championships so I figured there would be stiff competition. I had a good day and was really honored to win.

NEMS ended up getting 3rd in the club rankings. This is pretty darn good considering we only ended up getting 9 people to race.

It was also really cool to score a $150 gift card to Pearl Izumi for winning the race. I wasn't expecting that. Since the nearest outlet was only about 20 minutes away, I went up there and used it right after the race which was nice.

That was a fun race and I will definitely be back next year. However, NEMS will have more members attend the race next year!

Last updated: 2011-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:12 | 583 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 5/142
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: Triangle course- very shallow water
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:48 | 13.7 miles | 22.96 mile/hr
Overall: 8/142
Performance: Average
Avg Hr: 181 Max HR: 187 Avg Power: 273
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around the park. Pretty flat with one hill that was a little over a mile
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:59 | 03.11 miles | 05m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 1/142
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 184 Max: 193 Avg Cadence: 92 Mile Splits 1: 5:51 2: 5:49 3: 5:48
Course: Out and back through the park and on one of the roads just outside of the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-25 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Pitch Pine - NH CLub Championships

2011-09-26 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3699688

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Pitch Pine - NH CLub Championships
Nice Race Colin!  Sorry to hear about your bike.  I hope it's ok.  That must have been frightening to see.  Nice job not letting that effect your race though. 
2011-09-26 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Damn Colin! I better get back to some real training if I hope to beat you ever again  Wanna do IM Arizona next year?
2011-09-26 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

Awesome overall win, Colin. It was a fun day, and it was great that the weather decided to cooperate. Way to drop the hammer on the run - damn fast!

Looking forward to some more training prior to B2B.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pitch Pine - NH CLub Championships Rss Feed