United States
Duxbury Beach Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 34s
Overall Rank = 88/523
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/38
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:15am, coffee and bowl of cereal. Hot shower to wake up. Race was only 15 minute drive away, so i had plenty of time to prep. Double checked tire pressure when arriving at site. Picked up race packet night before, so all I had to do was get numbered and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Jogged lightly a little less then 1 mile, stretched and then headed over to swim start. Last year the water temps were pretty cold, so I was expecting the same this year. Not bad at all. Didn't feel as frigid. Spent a few minutes swimming to get acclimated to water temp, and then did a few fast start pickups to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 11m 38s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was the 5th start wave out of 6. Everyone ran into water and headed left to swim right along side the bridge. I went straigt, shot right for opposite shore line. Good swim, was very spread out. Did pass some swimmers from previous/earlier waves, but had a pretty open swim lane/direction. No contact at all and no one to really draft off of. Took in one gel 15 minutes prior to swim start.
What would you do differently?:

Would have pushed a little harder. Happy overall.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Longer run from water exit all the way around transition gates into far end. T1 and then exited out opposite end of transition gates. Knowing that the first 1/3 of mile is on Powder Point Bridge (wooden bridge,very bumpy) I opted to put shoes on in T1 and then clip in at bike mount line. Easier.

Made it to T1 faster, got caught up behind some swimmers exiting water that were walking thru area, had to run past a few. Keep shoes clipped in and mount bike after I start riding.
Bike
  • 36m 54s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Where do I start. I have rode this course tons of times. Last year training ride, rode it in 40 minutes. Last year race time, rode it in 38 minutes. THIS YEAR; training ride (TT)33 minutes; race day only 36:54. Started at a slower pace for first 1/3 of course, the hammered it to the end. Starting in the 5th out of 6 wave on the swim, I knew there would be alot of bike traffic, but the bike course was very hectic and dangerous at times. Many riders, not knowing to stay to the right unless passing, and many more riding 2 and even at times, 3 wide! Made for a few hairy moments. Wish I would have pushed hard right from the start, but it was hard to pass some folks when they are riding 2 or 3 wide, with oncoming traffic. Literally saw one guys ride up to a group of riders who were already 3 wide, and lean his shoulder into the left side rider, just so he could pass and not have to cross over the center line in the road! The passer nearly took out all three riders edging them towards the curb! Nice way to make an impression on some racers who may have been doing their first tri! He could have waited a few seconds in my opinion.

Go hard right out of gate, instead of waiting. Got frustrated having to do three wide to pass some folks, fed off that and hammered it the final 2/3 of course. Not sure of race organizers dicision to place the speedsters behind the older age-groupers? I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Frustrating that some riders fail to obey common race rules. More emphasis placed on this during race announcements.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Slipped out of shoes last 1/3 mile before T2. Final 1/3 mile over bridge was single file, no passing. They had the bridge slip into 3 lanes of athlete traffic. Bike racked, helmet off,grabbed gel, race belt on while running out. Uneventful T2. Lock-laces used so running shoes on, not problem.

You can always work on faster transition times.
Run
  • 23m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs had been tight a few days prior to race. Right leg got really tight. Had to stop 3 times for about 5 seconds each time for a quick stretch. Heart rate was all over the place. Sinus cold week before, had breathing alittle of issue. HR good on swim and bike segments, yet very high on run segment. Was hoping for just over 7 min/mile pace, ended up doing 7:40 pace. Overall good.

Work on more bike/run bricks in training. Will start using HR monitors this off-season.
Post race
Warm down:

Fluids, a little snack, stretching. Hung out, watched others finish, waited for results to be posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Very hectic bike segment with alot of close calls. Wish race organizers would start the younger guys/gals before some of the older age groups and/or beginner waves. Saw many areas of 3 to 4 riders wide. Many speedsters flying past those who were riding side by side. If I wasn't saying "LEFT" to others, I heard "LEFT" coming from the elite guys flying by. Work on bike/run bricks. Coming off a tibial stress fracture this fall, and this being my last race of the season, I was more focused on finishing with a better time then last year, and less focus on a top age-group finish. Beat last years time by almost 5 minutes.Looks like I missed a top 10 AG finish place by only 94 seconds. Next year, focus on placing higher.

Event comments:

Love this venue! Helps that I live next door and am able to train here all season long. With the exceptions of how the age-group waves started, I definately recommend this race and its organizers! This was the 10th anniversary of the Duxbury Tri, looking forward to many more. Its no surprise this race sells out quickly every year! Late September race can mean colder ocean temps for swimming, but the fast bike segment, and run course thru neighborhoods are great. Not to mention you never know which elite racers will show up to compete, many of who move on to the professional ranks eventually.

Last updated: 2011-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:38 | 880 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/38
Overall: 0/523
Performance: Good
Suit: Full suit
Course: Straight across from one side to the other in Duxbury bay. Swam parrallel to Powder Point Bridge.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:54 | 13 miles | 21.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/38
Wind: None
Course: Out and back course, with only 4 to 5 rolling hills both ways. Dry or only slightly damp roads whole way. I train here all the time on this course so I know every turn, hill, slope, pot-hole. Very smooth roads! My favorite bike course so far.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:57 | 03.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/38
Performance: Average
Course: Over Poweder Point bridge thru neighborhoods, mostly shaded, mostly flat only a couple of slight inclines. One water station at halfway point. Back across bridge to finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes