General Discussion Race Reports! » ChesapeakeMan Bugeye Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ChesapeakeMan Bugeye Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cambridge, Maryland
United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 58m 18s
Overall Rank = 49/70
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Imodium is my friend.

we planned to leave the hotel by 6:30...ran a little late. probably got to the high school by 7:00, but didn't arrive at the park until close to 7:45 because they waited until the shuttle was full. no one was in a hurry, which was fine, but not good for anal or stressed folks if not expecting a leisurely start.
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I haven't swum since my last race, I wasn't working hard enough to breathe hard, the wetsuit was so big that there was a steady stream of water up/through the legs and arms, and a freaking jellyfish attached itself to my mouth halfway to the first buoy, SO, all in all, not a bad time all things considered!!
What would you do differently?:

buy a wetsuit that fits, vs take my chances on a rental...and at least place the order months in advance in order to get prime selection. And, most importantly, apply the anti-jellyfish lotion to the areas around my eyes, nose and mouth.
Transition 1
  • 05m 6s
Comments:

Race was set up like an ironman bc of the longer distance events, so cool to be able to sit on a chair to remove suit & don socks. I thought it was great that they told me that had 'stuff for jellyfish stings," so I happily applied it liberally to my entire face, with the stings on my forehead and around my mouth. No one told me that the main ingredient was apparently ammonia, which is no fun to snort or lick...more time spent screaming like a lunatic for water and a towel. So glad that I could set an example for all in how NOT to treat stings to the face.

Would've left my gear at my bike so that I could've squat/peed while donning my socks.
Bike
  • 57m 17s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Surreal - for lack of a better word - to realize mid-course that I was racing while my teammate was being buried...that my daughter was waiting for me to come home to her, while 2 other little girls were saying goodbye to their mom. Made for an emotional ride, and so few riders that I was really very much alone. Helped me to imagine what an IM ride might be like (x10!) in terms of the mental "whatever" needed for that kind of endurance, and if anything helped confirm my own impressions that that's beyond my attention span! N
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

just took my time, shouted hi's to the event staff

not a darn thing.
Run
  • 37m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

So cool to be able to run after the bike...flatness makes for a very, very different experience. I was able to run a 10-10:30 pace, but stopped to walk & chat with walkers I knew and passed, and to walk a bit with an injured friend who was walking. Also very cool to have the port-a-potty on teh course, and probably lost 5 minutes alone messing with the TP dispenser before I realized there was a stupid rubber band in place to keep paper from unwinding! (clearly I was the first girl there)
Post race
Warm down:

My emotions crossing the finish line, thinking about Heather, really caught me by surprise. I'm such a girl - someone asked how I felt and I started to cry. Nothing like chocolate, though, to put it in perspective. Also learned that post-race massages are SO worth any time or wait.

Event comments:

So different to leave town to race. Little race, probably not worth the trip or $ to do again - if I'm going to travel, would prefer a nicer destination! - but it was a lovely little race, and I really liked the perspective of the flatness. Also a nice brick for me a week before the Half Full 40. Could've run harder, I know, but I just didn't want to, and was OK with that. Was just glad I felt capable...and was able to go home to hug my girl.

Last updated: 2011-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 800 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 19/70
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: simple rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:17 | 15 miles | 15.71 mile/hr
Overall: 48/70
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: flat. so flat that if when I stopped pedaling to drink, I nearly stopped. So flat that I daydreamed and had to snap back to focus and speed up!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:21 | 03.1 miles | 12m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 0/70
Performance:
Course: flaaaatt.... such that you see the half-way aid station appear to move backwards as you approached.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-26 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: ChesapeakeMan Bugeye Sprint Triathlon

2011-09-26 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3700566

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: ChesapeakeMan Bugeye Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations on a VERY GOOD RACE under tough physical and emotional conditions. Sucks about the jellyfish stings but you pushed on through! Great job!!!
2011-09-26 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3700566

User image

Champion
MA

Sounds like a tough day to be out racing.

For not swimming since last race and getting stung on the lip...you did great.

HOpe you can be some comfort to your team mate's family.

The jellies were prolific. I need to look into some of the lotion that keeps them from stinging. I got stung twice doing the longer race.

I might of seen you out on the bike. I had a flat out of T1 and slow swimmer so very BOP of ultra racers.

2011-09-26 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3701066

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
KathyG - 2011-09-26 4:48 PM

Sounds like a tough day to be out racing.

For not swimming since last race and getting stung on the lip...you did great.

HOpe you can be some comfort to your team mate's family.

The jellies were prolific. I need to look into some of the lotion that keeps them from stinging. I got stung twice doing the longer race.

I might of seen you out on the bike. I had a flat out of T1 and slow swimmer so very BOP of ultra racers.

Thanks! Hope you had a good race too..... Actually heard the jellies were worse on Friday - so perhaps we should be grateful?! Swimming's usually my strength, so I feel pretty lucky that I'm able to fake it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ChesapeakeMan Bugeye Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed