General Discussion Race Reports! » Peregrine Charities Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peregrine Charities Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waterloo, Iowa
United States
Peregrine Charities
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 12m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Took a shower, got dressed in my compression gear followed by my tri suite. Looked over the packed contents of my race bag to make sure everything was there. Ate my usual breakfast of a Cliff Bar and a 12 oz can of V8 then headed out.
Event warmup:

Picked up my event bag and put on my number tattoo's. Proceded to my bike that I had racked the night before and set up my area. Had a great time chatting with other women that were around me and soon became accustomed to the cold, at least at that time. Put on my wet suit and stood around for about 30 minutes trying to stay warm. Would not have been so bad if my feet wern't so cold after taking a quick dip in the water.
Swim
  • 42m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was by far my easiest swim, even though it was my longest. The wet suit make bouncie easy so all I had to do was work on forward motion. The couse was so clearly marked even I could easily sight it. There were three main bouyes with a road between them with floaties strung along every few feet. Even with my tinted goggles and breathing on the opposite side of the rope sighting was easy and I never got to far off course. I did notice that I seem to always want to pull to the right and spent a fair amount of time correcting my pull. Overall I was pleased with the swim, I was really not to tired or winded as I came out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I would like to find out why and correct the reason I pull to the right so much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

This being the first time I had to get out of my wet suit in a triathlon I was happy with it.

I would like to be able to get my feet out of my wet suit faster.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike segment seemed to suck all the energy and life out of me. Several times my legs felt like Jello and I could barly push down on the cranks to keep moving. At times I would be going into the wind and even at a lower gear I could barly get above 8 mph. I don't know if the wind did it or if it was becasue I started the bike wet and cold. My feet remained frozen for the entire ride and at the end my hands were red and chapped.

I really need to get more time on the bike. Having taken almost two weeks off in training and only doing a small amount of light work really hurt me. I know that in the summer I when I was on my bike several times a week I could have done that couse much better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

By the time I got to the dismount line my legs were so weak that as soon as I stepped off my leg gave way from under me. I had to be tipped back into an upright position by one of the race people. Swinging my left leg over the sadle was no easy thing eather. I tried to run into the transition area but it turned into more of a hobble.

Do better on the bike so that I'm not so tired at T2.
Run
  • 1h 32m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I did more of a fast walk for most of the run. My legs hurt like no other. I had recently gotten new shoes, there were New Balance but not the 749 that I'm used to. The store did not have any and I needed new shoes so I got the 790's, big mistake. Walking I did ok in them but running destroyed my legs and feet reducing me to a fast walk for most of the run. That and my legs were still weak and wobbly from the run.

Have my trusty 749's on my feet. I feel that I could have powered through the run if my feet and legs felt better.
Post race
Warm down:

Due to my walking most of the run segment I was preaty much cooled down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strong headwind on the bike, slacking off in my bike training, new shoes that I really didn't like to begin with.

Event comments:

I will be back next year and with better shoes and possibly a better bike and more time spent in the saddle. Overall I did enjoy the race and met new people and had a great time laughing and joking with them afterwards.

Last updated: 2011-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:22 | 1640 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Orca wet suit. Fit perfect
Course: This was an out and back course marked by three main bouyies with a rope with floaties attached to it every few feet. Make keeping on course easy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:52:45 | 24.85 miles | 13.22 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Mostly flat with a few moderate hills and one steep hill. It was a single loop course which made things a bit more bearable. Really don't like the multiple loop courses.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:32:46 | 06.21 miles | 14m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: It was a mostly flat course with one small hill. The course was located in the state park, the same trail that I ran the Park To Park on earlier this month. Could still see the markings on the ground.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-27 2:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Peregrine Charities Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peregrine Charities Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed