Canada
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 35s
Overall Rank = 31/67
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/15
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race lead up did not go as I would have liked. Between my jobs, stuff that had to be done around the house and getting a new puppy, I didn't have as much time to train as I would have liked. In addition, I ended up working all day Saturday which definitely left me more tired than I would have liked for the race. I woke around 6am and had one can of Ensure as well as some water. Around 7:30, I started drinking a can of Full Throttle that I finished just before I got to the race site. Got my transition area setup just in time to find out that the race had been delayed by an hour. This gave me some time to kill before the start so I wandered around and tried to relax.
Event warmup:

With an hour to go, I went for a short jog (10') with a couple of quick accels to race pace. I felt really strong on the run and headed back to transition feeling it was going to be a good day. Grabbed my bike and headed out for a quick ten minute out and back. Kept the gearing low and spun for the duration, everything seemed to be in working order so I turned and headed back. Upon arriving, I learned that we were delayed another half hour so I didn't make my way to the beach right after the bike. Instead I took my time making sure everything was perfectly setup on my bike and run transitions. I talked to Victoria and her grandmother for a while until it was time to head to the beach. Got in the water for a quick warmup (it was really cold getting in but felt pretty good after a minute or so). Then it was out of the water for the last minute instructions before getting back into the water to wait for the start - when all was said and done, we were 1:45 later than the original 9am start.
Swim
  • 29m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first lap of the swim went exactly as planned. I took things out nice and easy, found a set of feet to jump on and let the person in front of me dictate the pace for the first 350m or so. I then picked up the pace slightly and came back faster than I went out. I was able to jump on another set of feet at the increased pace and hit the short for the start of lap two in 14:04. I knew that I was more than capable of negative spliting the swim so I tried to maintain my effort level while going out on the next leg but I was unable to find someone to draft off of and my left arm started to cramp a bit. This caused some navigation problems for the rest of the swim so although I was swimming faster for all but the final 200m of the swim, I think I went off course a great deal. As I was coming into the final 200m, my right calf started to cramp and I had to stop kicking for a bit to let it relax. When I hit the beach it still hadn't worked itself out so I hobbled up the beach. For the entire swim I was concentrating on swimming relaxed and well below my max effort for the distance, I wanted to hit the beach fresh and ready for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

The two big factors that caused a positive split on the swim were the lack of feet to follow on lap 2 and pulling more with one arm than the other. Next time, prior to dropping someone on the swim I need to make sure that the extra effort won't be wasted. If that person is swimming close to the pace I want to go, I should just keep the effort even and follow them. As far as the pulling, my swim volume was way down for the weeks leading into this event which I think was what resulted in the cramping in my shoulder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

The T1 time was from the beach to the transition area (approx 200m) and the run out to the mount line (approx 200m). Transition went smoothly, out of my wetsuit quickly, no problem with my helmet or glasses and I was running with the bike. I remembered elastics this time, however after the long run to the mount line (over a dirt parking lot - ouch!) one shoe had fallen out and I ended up messing this up again. Cost me a couple seconds with a shoe coming out of the pedals but overall it was still a good transition.

Double elastic the shoes in place!!
Bike
  • 1h 17m 6s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.13 km/hr
Comments:

I am extremely happy with my bike ride. After getting straighted away with my shoe, I hit the first half of lap 1 nice and easy. I was spinning, getting my breathing under control and waiting for my legs to adjust. I did the first 10km at this effort level and felt really good for the whole thing. On the return trip, I started to jack up the intensity a little, but not too much. I focused on staying relaxed and maintaining a good cadence. I was able to stay aero for most of the first lap, except at one point where my hip flexor started to cramp and I switched to the pursuit bars to get a little different position for a few minutes. The second lap went really well going out but on the return (when I again increased my effort a little more) I really suffered on one hill. My legs felt dead and my speed dropped to around 21km/h - I had to build slowly back up to speed while my legs recovered from that. I finished the bike fairly strong after that hill and managed to pass as many people as passed me while I was on the bike. On the bike I had a bottle with approximately 300cals as well as one gel and a bottle of water and upon hitting transition I had used everything - as per my feeding plan. I spent most of the second lap of the bike telling myself that a good bike sets you up for a strong run - don't overdo it - just keep it nice and steady.

I need to spend more time on the bike - the hill that killed my wasn't huge - just my endurance let me down a little.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

T2 time includes the 200m run back to transition (again dirt parking lot) and out onto the course. This transition was efficient and I was on the run in no time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 50m 5s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

The run did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. I was running too fast off the bike (4:51/km) but I noticed this with the first split and put my effort in check. The next 3km went pretty smooth with a steady pace and fairly even HR. I felt strong at the turnaround and started to pick up the pace a little (either the distance between 4-5 was wrong or I really picked up the pace - 4:43/km) and then I set out to maintain this. I did the next 3km fairly well but by the end of 8km I was really starting to suffer. Between 8-9 I started to feel really bad. I was barely running and was having a really hard time maintaining any type of speed at all. After passing the 9km mark, I started pushing, but still couldn't really get any speed until the finish line was in sight. At this point I dropped the hammer as much as I could and finished the race. I thought I was going to fall over at the finish line as they were removing my chip, but I manged to stagger to the tent and get some water and bannanas.

I need to spend more time building endurance. I felt really solid up to the final 2km and then I was toast. I think my pacing on the swim and bike was almost right, but I still did run as well as I would have liked.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched, ate, drank.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hitting the wall at the 8km mark of the run. I think some more swim volume would have helped lower my swim time or at least saved effort. More long rides on the bike to build endurance and more runs for speed and durability.

Event comments:

My goal at the beginning of the season was to finish this tri in under 3 hours. As my training and season progressed, I changed my goal to sub 2:50, then sub 2:45. Going into the event I figured a good day would see me break 2:40. Finishing in 2:40:35 was a huge accomplishment and I am very proud of how this race went. This distance was much harder than I anticipated and much more humbling.

Last updated: 2005-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:29 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 34/67
Performance: Good
Lap 1 - 14:04 HR 154 Lap 2 - 15:25 HR 165
Suit: Sleevless shorty
Course: The course was a two loop clockwise swim. Athletes were required to exit the water prior to starting the second lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:06 | 40 kms | 31.13 km/hr
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 34/67
Lap 1 Out - 20:24 HR 167 Back - 19:21 HR 169 Lap 2 Out - 18:19 HR 167 Back - 19:02 HR 165
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a 10km out and back that had some small rolling hills. The pavement wasn't the best in the world but it wasn't too bad and there was little traffic.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:05 | 10 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 32/67
1km - 4:51 HR 167 2km - 5:23 HR 163 3km - 5:15 HR 163 4km - 5:10 HR 166 5km - 4:43 HR 168 6km - 5:00 HR 174 7km - 5:18 HR 174 8km - 5:17 HR 173 9km - 5:50 HR 174 10km - 3:18 HR 175
Course: Trail run with an out and back (about 8km) and then a final 2km to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Shubie Park Tri

2005-09-20 10:23 PM
in reply to: #249441

User image

Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: Shubie Park Tri
Hi - Great work. You did fantastic and I am so pleased that you hit your goal! It pays to plan and set goals. I loved reading your account of the race, I see the wisdom that you have acquired through your experience. The rubber band thing is such a scary thing for me to contemplate...but you have inspired me to investigate how to go about doing this.

Nice Job! Congratulations!
2005-09-22 7:57 PM
in reply to: #249441

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Shubie Park Tri
Hey shane, great race!!! Beat your goal time and did a smart race, cool

Oly's are no joke, they can pull you up short if you havent trained. Your training has been consistant and very well coordinated. The worries of the late phase should be chalked up to tapering.

On the elastic and quick shoe entry, it is a very race specific thing. Smart strategy is to look over the transistion zones for jsut the conditions you found. Pavement and smooth grass will work great but rough areas will bounce the elastics and knock the shoes around.
   Then only reason I know this is because.....I made lots of mistakes and continue to do so!!

Again. congrats on running a smart race and knocking off your goal time!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shubie Park Tri Rss Feed