Augusta, Georgia
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 6h 22m 48s
Overall Rank = 1816/2782
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 105/174
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45. Got my stuff loaded into the car. Ate a bagel with honey in the car on the way to the race site. Set up transition and ate a banana. Had a gel 15 minutes before my wave started.
Event warmup:

There was no opportunity to really warm up. My warm up was walking to transition from the car, then to the swim start.
Swim
  • 33m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

When it was time for my wave, we walked out a pier and jumped in the water and waited for the horn. When it blew, off we went. There was really no way to get off course here, as it was straight down the river with no turns. After seeing my time, I must have caught a good current because I simply do not swim this fast.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. I am incredible happy with my swim time.
Transition 1
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

The transition area was far from the swim exit! Up the boat ramp which was carpeted and several hundred yards down the road which was not carpeted. Then completely around the end and back of the transition area, then through the transition area to my spot. It seemed to take an eternity! But everything went well, I found my bike immediately, got my shoes and socks and helmet on and off I went.

I am not sure what I could have done differently? Run faster? Overall, I was pleased.
Bike
  • 3h 24m
  • 56 miles
  • 16.47 mile/hr
Comments:

The time went by pretty quickly. The first 30 miles were pretty uneventful and seemed easy. Miles 30-40 seemed to drag a bit and the sun started to come out which heated things up some. I hit my rhythm again and miles 40-50 just flew by. Then miles 50-56 seemed to take forever! As biking is my hardest leg, I was pleased with my overall time. My time was 6 minutes faster than my best case scenario prediction!

Practice more and ride faster!
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Ran to my spot and racked my bike, changed my shoes and socks, applied body glide to my feet and out I went!

Not try to put melted body glide on my feet.
Run
  • 2h 16m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

The sun came out and made the run hard. It was close to 90 and humid. After I started the second loop, it started to thunder, while still sunny. With about 3 miles to go, it started to rain. That was a welcome diversion as the last 3 miles were incredibly hard for me. I was tired and ready to be done. I was still able to kick it a little bit before the finish and passed the guy in front of me right before the finish line!!

Maybe not start the run so hard so I had more to give on the second loop. My second half was definitely slower than my first!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got in line for some food. Had some fruit and they had so much pizza that they gave me an entire pizza in its box! At least Tom was excited by that!! Walked back to the car and drive as close to transition as we could. Someone commented while walking to transition that it was like the Bataan Death March!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was hot and humid when the sun came out, which probably slowed me down a bit. I also missed a few weeks of key training due to a training crash. But I feel like I put forth my best effort for the day and could not have asked for more from myself.

Event comments:

This was an amazing event for my first HIM. It was well run and well organized. The course was easy to follow and had tons of volunteers and community support. I would recommend it to everyone for a first HIM. I crushed my time goal and enjoyed the challenge of a new distance!

Last updated: 2011-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 144/174
Overall: 2272/2782
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Synergy full
Course: Straight down the Savannah River with the current the entire way.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:24:00 | 56 miles | 16.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 143/174
Overall: 2344/2782
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: One loop mostly in South Carolina. The course was billed as hilly, but as someone from PA, I did not see the hills! There were a few small rollers, but the course was great. There were a few places where the road was rough and jiggled my brain, but they were not long. The course was lined with police and Army personnel who watched every intersection and turn off for businesses and churches. It was nice seeing them all the time.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:16:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 105/174
Overall: 1816/2782
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps up and down the streets of town. Tons of spectator support. The only bad part was passing by the finish line 3 times before actually getting to stop!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-27 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2011-09-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3702008

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Nice report - thanks for taking the time to write it.  Seems to have a common theme on the run

Duane

2011-09-27 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Great job out there! The swim was an awesome push in the right direction right from the start 

Congratulations!!

2011-09-27 10:41 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOTT!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed