United States
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 04m 25s
Overall Rank = 1446/2500
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 74/153
Pre-race routine:

My wife was going with me until the last minute. Work was getting pretty busy so she stayed behind. I mean this isn't really a spectator sport so I can't really blame her. Drove up to Jacksonville after work on Thursday and picked up a cheap hotel room for the night. Wanted to break up the drive. Arrived in Augusta on Friday afternoon and checked in shortly after registration opened. No lines for anything. Even got some stuff on sale at the Ironman store. I didn't buy much of anything this time around. Spent less than $10. A first for me. But, I bought enough at New Orleans and will for sure buy more at IMFL so I held back.

Went for a swim Friday afternoon. Loved the water and the current. Had a nice dinner down the street at the Bees Knees sitting outside with a few friends. Nice night.

Saturday we rode the bikes down after spending some time at the Farmers Market. Again, no lines at all. Ran back to the Marriott just to get a short run in. Nice pre race dinner with more of the team.

Event warmup:

Went to set up transition around 5:30 then rode the bus back tot he hotel. Kicked around for a while then headed down to the start at 7:30.

The only real warm up was the walk down. I do like the way they have the swim waves set up. You could stand off to the side until your wave came by then just hop in. Very easy, not stressful at all.

Swim
  • 30m 54s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

What should have been a great swim didn't start out that way. I am pretty confident with my swim. Although not super fast, I can hold my own in a pack - or so I thought. Started just inside the far buoy 2 people back. First 100 yards were fine until we hit the next buoy. All of a sudden I was being hit, swam over, dunked.... Didn't expect it. I panicked. Maybe not a full blown panic but I couldn't get my face in and breath. Had to breast stroke, side stroke for a while. Still couldn't catch my breath. Of course all the thoughts go through my mind like "I can't finish doing the breast stroke", "Should I swim to shore", "How in the world can I do IMFL". After floundering for a while I swam over to a kayak and held on for less than 10 seconds. That's all it took and I was off and everything was OK. Looking at my finishing times I was only 1 - 2 minutes slower than I could have swam the course so it didn't take much time off overall. But the panic came so out of the blue, I never thought it would happen in a race. Just took a hit to my confidence.

Come to find out, I was just on the inside of the buoy and there were a few people just outside the buoy. When we hit the first marker about 100 yards out, they forced everyone back into the course. Well guess who was in their way? Yea me. 5 or 6 people just blasted me from the side. Ever fed the fish in one of those Koi ponds? How all the fish are all over each other? That was us. It wouldn't have been so bad but it was just a surprise coming from the side like that.

Overll a great swim course. Point to point and fast as all get out.
What would you do differently?:

Move more toward the middle as there really wasn't that much traffic except where I was at. At least everyone else was going the right way :)
Transition 1
  • 05m 37s
Comments:

Pretty quick transition - wet suit strippers. Not much happened.

Not much.
Bike
  • 3h 01m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a good ride. Rods a bit bumpy in sections but a pretty good ride. Most of the ride was overcast so that helped. Disappointed the water stations were a bit pushed out than what I expected. The first one was at mile 20. Would have brought more water if I had known.

To me the course was hilly. Not the steep type of hills but ones that go on forever. Long up hill followed by a slight uphill for another mile or so. I am from S Florida and to me a hill is really an overpass :) But wow, those downhills were awesome. So much fun! The last 10 miles or so were fast. A lot of fun to finish like that.

Did see quite a few "packs" come flying by. How they didn't get penalties is beyond me.

Not much. Might have pushed just a bit faster. Oh yea, I need to drink a lot more on the bike. I tend to not drink as much as I should.
Transition 2
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

No issues - stopped to go to the bathroom on the way out of transition as I didn't want to stop on the run. Didn't have to go that bad but thought I'd be sure.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 22m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I liked the course. The way it was situated you got to see a lot of people. Started first loop a bit too fast. Caught up to me about mile 3. Had to walk a few times as I was feeling miserable. Thought I was going to throw up. After the second water stop with ice water I felt a bit better. First loop was tough for me. Second loop was much easier as I went with a run/walk. Run for awhile then a walk for about 30 steps. Helped a lot as I was feeling much better and could run most of the way. Thought the second loop was faster but it wasn't. Just showed me how fast I went out at the start.

Pace myself better and don't start out so fast (for me).
Post race
Warm down:

Finish was crowded. I could barely move let alone get anything to eat/drink. Found some team mates and talked for a little while before I went across the street to take a shower. Nice staying across the street from the finish. Shower then back to watch the finish and grab a piece of pizza. It started raining pretty good when I was in the shower so by the time I got back the finish area was much more empty.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat - it was pretty darn hot on the run.

Event comments:

Overall a very nice race. Good organization, great swim, OK bike and a nice run. And hey, Mike Reilly was the announcer! I don't like having to go get the bikes after the race but what can you do? I'd go back.

Last updated: 2011-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:54 | 2143 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 101/153
Overall: 1758/2500
Performance: Bad
Suit: full sleeve
Course: Point to point with the current
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:46 | 56 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 100/153
Overall: 10717/2500
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One loop through the "rolling hills" of South Carolina. Not rough overall but not really that smooth either.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:22:23 | 13.1 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/153
Overall: 1446/2500
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop course through downtown. Liked the run course but the first couple of aid stations were a bit spread out. Could have used one much closer to the start. After that the stations were much closer together.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-27 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2011-09-27 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3702723

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Way to stick it out on the swim! It's easy to get flustered after getting run over, you'll be fine for Florida. The heat was pretty oppressive on the run! Congrats!
2011-09-27 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks Chris.  You rocked the course! Nice job.
2011-09-28 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Great RR, good job.
2011-09-29 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Sounds like you had a great race.  Awesome job adapting to what was thrown your way!  It was a fun day!!

Karen

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed