World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m 42s
Overall Rank = 892/2783
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 153/414
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Augusta on Friday so my day before would be as stress free as possible. Had to check bikes in on Saturday so no worries with this on race morning. Woke up at 5:00 am race morning, had a bagel with peanut butter, a banana and a cliff bar washed down with water. Got all my stuff and departed hotel at 6:00a.m.
Event warmup:

Nothing to much here, had a nice walk from the car to transition area, sorted out my gear ,checked tire pressure, then loaded up on the shuttle to ride to the swim start. After arriving at swim start area, made a trip to the potty then some light stretching before lining up in my wave..
Swim
  • 29m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was down river with a slight current, I held to the left and stayed back to let some of the faster swimmers go, I still got punched a few times from swimmers being off course. I was able to get into a good rhythm and keep the buoys right on my left shoulder the whole time. Made my way to the right at the end where the swim exit was. There was a lot of long grass in the water that made some areas of this swim very interesting. Heard others say the current wasn't as strong as in years past but the slight current we had was nice.
What would you do differently?:

Go ahead a move up to the start buoy and try to get a good start and into my rhythm quicker..
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

It was a long run from the swim exit. Had to run on course asphalt,dirt, and loose gravel all the way to the bike along with mud due to the rain the night before. This only added to the degree of difficulty. According to my Garmin it was .30 mile from swim exit to the bike out exit.Felt like I had a good T1 was able to remove the wetsuit with no problem, helmet and sunglasses on,grabbed my bike a headed out.

Make sure rubber bands holding shoes on bike are in place better because I got hit on the way out and one shoe came loose. Practice longer distances to be prepared.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan for the race was to stay in small chain-ring for the first 15-20 miles,then move to big chain-ring and maintain a comfortable pace wanting to average between 20 and 21 mph for the ride. Had some headwind to deal with so I backed it down trying not to fight it. Very pleased with my effort. After 30 minutes on the bike I had half a cliff bar then followed later with the other half along with gels, water and ironman perform. Nutrition seemed to be ok.

Maybe push it a little more to bring my average up, but I stayed within the moment and stuck to my race plan so for that I'm pleased.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Dried my feet off and put on socks which slowed me a little, put on running shoes and grabbed some stinger chomps and a gel.

Nothing much except to keeping practicing. Decent time considering the size of Transition area and the distance you have to cover.
Run
  • 2h 23m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt decent on the run it was still slightly overcast and I told myself I would run then walk through the water stations. The first 6.55 miles I had a 9:31 min/mile pace(1:02:22). After starting the second loop the clouds parted, the sun made its appearance and the temps/humidity were at full force, almost like running into a wall.Low 80's increased to low 90's. My pace dropped and my second loop was a 12:27 avg per mile(1:21:37).I found myself having some gas pains along with a slight cramp in my quad so I had to walk more often, being able to see my wife like 8 times during the run was awesome and help me keep moving.It was also nice to have the streets filled with a lot of encouraging people.

I would take my fuel belt,I didn't carry it because in the athlete guide they said there were water stations every mile there wasn't..Nutrition wasn't bad I had some stingers and a gel throughout the run along with water then some coke the last 3 miles along with water..Continue to work on my run and get stronger because I planned for a 2:00:00 run or less and I missed that goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some like stretching, found the potty and hydrated with some H20..Found the wife and then went a stood on the run course to cheer on some friends and other r athletes..During this time the cloud cover came back and it started to ran..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just got hot during the run and had a slight mental breakdown..Was able to keep pushing myself.Might need to get some longer bricks in to really train my body to hold up during the run.

Event comments:

I'm giving the race a four because there are a few things to improve on. But overall for my first 70.3 race it is good race. I would recommend this to other first timers to this distance. Plenty of volunteers on the course along with some police and military help at all intersections on the bike.The run sets up well for runners because it is a flat, and the spectators are awesome..

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 238/414
Overall: 1306/2783
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo
Course: Point to point with a slight current..
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:40:04 | 56 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 111/414
Overall: 578/2783
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was 1 loop mostly into South Carolina. Hills didn't pick up until the second half and they were long gradually climbs 1-1.5 miles long.Nothing more than 4-5% grade. Other hills were rollers.According to Garmin right at 1500 feet of climbs..
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:23:59 | 13.1 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 153/414
Overall: 892/2783
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 Loops through downtown Augusta. Winding up and down the streets and past the finish line the first lap and into the shoot the second. Lots of people out to cheer you on. It is really a cool run route for spectators. The run downs up and down the main drag and gives people watching a chance to see their athletes multiple times and if they walk a block in either direction they could actually see the person again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-27 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2011-09-28 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3702877

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Great race Tim!  70.3 is a tough distance to figure out the best strategy, you did a great job on your first!!

I enjoy the RR too! 
2011-09-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3702877

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Congrats on conquering the half iron distance Tim!

Fast swim!  It looks like that went really well.

Interesting tactic of only going in the small ring for the 15-20 miles on the bike.  Depending on the elevation of the course (I know nothing about this one) and the gearing you use, I think this could be over kill.  Yes, it's a great tactic to take it easy for the first part of the ride, but I don't think forcing yourself to stay in the small ring is necessary.

As for the run, the heat makes it real tough!  It looks like you may have been better suited to go out a little slower, but its hard to say for sure.  Walking the aid stations is a good tactic and I'd recommend sticking to that.

A sub 5:40 first HIM is very impressive Tim!  Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed