United States
Jackson Hole Chamber of Commerce
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 20m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We camped at Jackson Hole Campground. I woke up every couple of hours worried about my cell phone battery dying and the alarm not going off due to the cold temperatures. Other than that, I slept pretty well. Gary and I went to the Lotus Cafe for pizza the night before, delicious! Woke up in the morning and ate an almond butter and jelly sandwich, made a cup of coffee to take with me and drove to Teton Village to catch the shuttle to the start in Jackson.
Event warmup:

It was about 32 degrees. I had not been in temperatures that cold for quite a few months. We found a coffee shop to hang out in at the start area and sat there and chatted with some of the other marathoners until 5 minutes before the start. This was such a small race that I even managed to make a port a potty run 5 minutes before race start with no line to wait in, amazing.
Run
  • 6h 20m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 6 miles were pretty good. I was a bit worried about the altitude, since I've spent most of the last couple years at barely above sea level, but it didn't feel too bad and my calves were just giving me occasional tightness. I walked a few times, but briefly. I had a few people ask me if I was doing intervals, "no, just tight calves, and I can't get myself to do a 5 mile warm up before a marathon, lol" I was slow, but in good company. There were four of us in the back of the pack leap frogging and occasionally running with each other for a bit. The other three were all 50 state club members with 37, 44, and all 50 plus states. One more state and I can become an official member. :)

Usually these early miles are my slowest, so I was feeling really good about my 12 minute per mile average. Then around mile 7 everything just seemed so much harder. I think the altitude was starting to affect me, plus we were now on a gradual ascent. About mile 8 my hips started hurting, not just general fatigue and soreness. My hip joints hurt. They had actually been bothering me, mostly at night, for the last couple weeks, but have never given me any issues while running before. I was wishing I'd brought some advil, but I didn't. I usually carry it and never use it. So, I didn't bother carrying it today. I was trying to ignore it, but ended up doing some walking because it hurt less. It never crossed my mind that I wouldn't finish, but I did think, "18 miles of walking, ugh". I ran when I could and walked a lot.

Just after the 9 mile mark, I saw one of the guys ahead of me turn down a side road. There wasn't any arrows pointing that way and the course had been really clearly marked so far. I asked him if he was sure that was the way. He said he wasn't sure, but it didn't seem like we should be running into traffic with no cones or sides to the road ( the route forward). I agreed that it seemed odd and pulled out my map of the course. I started carrying one after getting lost at Woodside 50k a couple years ago. We couldn't find a street name for the road we were on so it was still unclear. We ran down the road a bit to see if there were any signs, but didn't see any so came back. By this time the other two runners behind us had caught up and a guy in a car going by said, "stay on the highway". I was so glad I hadn't just followed the other runner down that side road. It would have cost me a lot more than the 5 or so minutes that it did.

I ran with Debbie (one of the 50 staters) for a few miles, as she was doing a run 1' walk 1' that was pretty close to what I was doing on my own. The next few miles went by pretty quickly while chatting with her and enjoying the mountain views. Then, she stopped at a port-a-let and I ran on. After that I did more walking than running, my hips were killing me, and it was getting hot. By mile 21 I was just walking and wishing for the ice and tradewinds in Kauai. I walked it in the last 5 miles until I saw the finish line. Then, I managed to run through the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Bring Advil and a container for water to splash on myself. This was a cup free event, which I loved. The quick fill water coolers were awesome with my handheld, but since I keep sports drink in my bottle, I had no way to splash cool water on myself once the temperatures got up into the high 70s. I also would put on some sunscreen. I had my running jacket on at the race start (32 degrees) and around 10am I took it off and got the worst sunburn I've had in years.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around Teton Village a bit and got a frappe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a training run and a way to check off Wyoming from my 50 states goal. I wish I had been able to run more, but the walking is good training for my 50 miler too and gave me some extra time on my feet. So, it's all good

Event comments:

This was the inaugural running of the Jackson Hole Marathon and they did a fantastic job. The course was well marked. They had plenty of aid stations. Great course with beautiful views of the Teton Range. The organizers and volunteers were fantastic!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
06:20:02 | 26.2 miles | 14m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly paved roads and multi-use paths with a few short sections of dirt trail. Starting elevation of approximately 6200ft with a max elevation of approximately 6700ft. Long gradual ascents and descents. Beautiful views of the Teton Range.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-28 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: Jackson Hole Marathon

2011-09-28 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3703500

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Jackson Hole Marathon
32 degrees at the start?  After racing in Hawaii?  Yep, not enough warmth for me either.
2011-09-28 11:45 AM

Grandview,TX
Thanks for the report...I did not know Jackson Hole was having a marathon.
2011-09-28 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Great job Roni!  32 is too cold for this TX boy... 
2011-09-29 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Do you run a marathon every weekend? Congrats on another great race!

BTW, you do the coolest races I've never heard of. I want to steal your whole race schedule for next year
2011-09-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3704797

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Another great race Roni, congrats crazy runner lady : )

2011-10-03 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Awesome work Roni!  Way to tough out the pain and do what you needed to do for #9! 

I agree about stealing your schedule for next year.  You've picked some very cool races this year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson Hole Marathon Rss Feed