General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shipping ups vs. flying your bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-28 9:55 PM

Subject: shipping ups vs. flying your bike

I went out and purchased a nice bike box by serfas. and packed my tri bike to ship out of state by ups .This allowed me to cheap out on the rental car on the other end. I Ups 'ed  my bike and it arived in great shape and I did my race. my plan was to save some money and take it on the plane on the way back because my wife would be curbside in my suv to pick me and the bike up with no problems.

That's when it went bad. my bike box poped out on the conveyer looking like it was draged behind the plane upon landing. the box was partialy open, the pull strap was gone and one bumper was ripped off the bottom.

upon openning the box every thing was blended and tossed back in. tsa had undid all my safe guards, lost one of my tsa pad locks and generally mulched the contents.

please learn from my experience. the tsa does not care about your bike and will not take the time to put it back right. spend the $90(each way) to ship the bike ups both ways....

2011-09-29 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3704484

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: shipping ups vs. flying your bike
That really sucks.  Any chance of reimbursement for the damages as a result?
2011-09-29 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
That sucks i probably would have had a run in with airport security if that happened to me. I have worked in shipping and receiving though. UPS isn't any better i have seen boxes that have had forklifts go straight through them. I'm not saying i have a solution maybe some kind of insurance so you can at least get some money back.
2011-09-29 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
MA

That is a rare occurrence with TSA. Is your bike is okay?

I shipped my bike Federal Express Ground this March to a tri camp in CA due to ridiculously high bike fees on US Air and guess what my bike frame was ruined. My bike box had been squished.

If you are going to ship your bike, there is always a risk it may get damaged. No one way is always best.

2011-09-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3704808

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-09-29 8:54 AM

Veteran

I have had that unfortunate experience as well. I have shipped bikes (UPS, Fed-Ex) as well as paid to put them on plane. In the bike box I have not had really any issues as there is sufficient space for them to not pack it back the same way (which is gaurenteed to happen!). Have also had BIL take it to France and they only put your bike on IF there is room! with domestic travel not so much an issue but with international be careful. With bike box best bet is to ship directly and make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get it there.

I also have an S&S coupled road bike that I take as I travel often and have had some unfortunate luck there. Have had the clamps to close suicase broken off on the trip in ( I now carry an extra in my suitcase incase), All my parts (pedals, multitool, lube, tubes, etc) I carry in a sealed bag which they opened and did not even bother to put back in. They just dumped it in the suitcase and closed it up. This leads to different problems as the tolerance for where everything goes in an S&S packed case is very tight as you can see from picture. I have now laminated some pics of packing steps so hopoefully they follow it in putting it back together. No way to avoind this one. I do hate TSA Yell

(S&S packed.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
S&S packed.JPG (28KB - 10 downloads)

2011-09-29 9:32 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

please learn from my experience. the tsa does not care about your bike and will not take the time to put it back right. spend the $90(each way) to ship the bike ups both ways....

Not necessary.  Next time, when you are checking the bike, ask them if you can be present if they have to open it.  They run some quick test on it that tells them whether they have to open it or not.  If they do, you're there.  If they don't, say thanks and go head to your airplane.

I've flown with my bike at least a dozen times and I've only ever had ONE thing break (a derailleur cable).  And that happened to be the ONE time I didn't ask to be present if they had to open it.  I've never put locks on my bike or any special padding around the frame.  And nothing bad has ever happened to it.  Please don't let one bad experience deter you.

FWIW, a friend of mine shipped her carbon bike by Fed Ex sometime this year and she had padding all around the frame and Fed Ex STILL managed to destroy her carbon frame.  So, it can happen if you Fed Ex it to.  All you can do is pack it as well as you can, ask to be there if they have to open it, and hope for the best.

Sorry about your bike.  I hope none of it was unfixable.

Edited to add: Just realized that my friend Kathy posted about her Fed Ex experience above!

Edited by jldicarlo 2011-09-29 9:35 AM
2011-09-29 3:51 PM

I did not know  that I could be present when they have to open it.  that would have made a huge difference.

despite the box looking like a yard sale , the only gear that was damaged was the aero helmet that i paid $50 for used. The box will need some work . I got the bike back together today and it "looks ok"

thanks

2011-09-29 3:51 PM

I did not know  that I could be present when they have to open it.  that would have made a huge difference.

despite the box looking like a yard sale , the only gear that was damaged was the aero helmet that i paid $50 for used. The box will need some work . I got the bike back together today and it "looks ok"

thanks

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shipping ups vs. flying your bike Rss Feed