General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm gonna stop looking at my race pics... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-09-29 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3705253

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: I'm gonna stop looking at my race pics...
*Trying to find the LIKE button*

2011-09-29 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, mine are horrible. Let's just say I'm very focused when I race. That means I have this zombie look on my face, never look up, never notice the camera. You'd think I'd at least have the running part under control after 32 years in the sport but judging from what I'm doing with my upper body in race photos, maybe not. (Am I stretching? Reaching for water? Hitting the photographer?) I was so excited when I actually won a race recently that I was going to buy the finish photo and send it to friends and family......then in the photo, I'm looking at the ground, expressionless. No recollection why. Geez. The only decent pic I have is from another tri where the announcer at the finish yelled, "You (my race number), look happy for the camera!" and I actually looked up from my misery, grinned, and did some kind of silly wave.
2011-09-29 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I find my bike photos tend to be decent. There are a couple angles that really emphasize my loose skin which makes me look about 20 pounds fatter than I am, but mostly that doesn't happen. My run pix are "okay" but I often have my mouth open or look tired. Still... okay mostly.

But I can not take a decent finish line pic to save my soul. In every one I look like I'm flapping my arms like a bird and screaming. 

In my last tri, I was very happy coming across the finish line. I held my arms up in triumph and even paused for a second. I was determined to get a good picture. I go to the awards banquet where they have finish line photos you can buy right there along with ordering any package. I look in my envelop and, unlike some people, I have TWO picture. I get very excited anticipating my "great" finish line shot. This is what I see:

2011-09-29 8:00 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
From B2B last year my pictures of me in my wetsuit made me look like a walrus.  Those pictures helped me lose 20lbs but the next camera man (woman) that tries to take photos of me while I am in a wetsuit better beware!!!
2011-09-29 9:10 PM

User image

Master

<--------  Hammered Death chic

2011-09-29 9:17 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

If the camera adds 10 pounds, the camera on a moving body adds 20.  I hate my race pics.  Scary stuff.

There's one payment option that's never offered: paying them to remove the photos from their website.

EDIT: I told my husband he would disappear forever if he took another finish line photo of me from the rear.  At 41, even as hard as I workout, I don't want to see that!!!  There's a reason our a$$ is in the BACK.

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2011-09-29 9:20 PM

2011-09-29 11:53 PM
in reply to: #3705964

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Anditrigirl - 2011-09-29 9:17 PM

EDIT: I told my husband he would disappear forever if he took another finish line photo of me from the rear.  At 41, even as hard as I workout, I don't want to see that!!!  There's a reason our a$$ is in the BACK.

Andi

Out of sight, out of mind. . . . until that picture . . .

I have one picture of my backside that I look at and wonder, "Really?? It's that big???"

2011-09-30 9:04 AM

New user

This post reminds me of those poor shmuks on those talent/singing shows such as American Idol/X Factor etc. who actually believe they have talent and blame the judges when they're told they don't.

People can be delusional. The camera doesn't "add 15 pounds". The camera doesn't "make you look like you're walking". The camera only reflects what it's seeing. If it looks like you're 15 pounds overweight well you probably are. Looks like you're walking when you feel like you're runing? You're probably walking or shuffling.

I've had several photos showing me over my race weight or struggling through a run but knew I was out of shape in those photos. All it did was motivate me to change that. And I've had photos that showed me in shape and performing well which validated my training.

It's amazing how we almost never see "bad" photos of pro and elite level athletes. They're always in shape, always riding or running hard as is reflective of their training and racing. Guess what folks, it's because they are in shape, not because the camera is friendlier to them.

It's not Simon Cowell's fault if you can't sing and it's not the photographer's fault if you look fat and slow.
2011-09-30 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3706292

User image

Master
PNW

nnickol - 2011-09-30 7:04 AM  It's amazing how we almost never see "bad" photos of pro and elite level athletes. They're always in shape, always riding or running hard as is reflective of their training and racing. Guess what folks, it's because they are in shape, not because the camera is friendlier to them.

You are kidding, right?  We don't see sucky photos of the pros because they don't publish sucky photos of the pros.  I guarantee that if you ask any pro (particularly any female pro) if they've had bad race photos, they'd all say TONS of them!

My BEST race photo was taken about 30 seconds after I threw up (on the bike).   It's also the only race photo I've ever purchased.  It's really not a great photo of me, but compared to all the other race photos I've seen, it's qualifies as a keeper.

2011-09-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3706321

New user

Many of the people here are commenting on how overweight, out of shape or slow they seem in their photos and that it's the camera's fault. Well it's not. If they look fat or slow then they likely are. I had rolls around my waist in one photo and another during a run where I looked like I was going in reverse. That's because I WAS fat and I WAS slow at that point of my training and racing.

People too often look for the easy way out or to pass blame. Start taking account. I was fat and I was slow but I didn't suck in my gut and direct blame at the camera. Many people are happy with whatever shape they're in and that's great but don't tell me "that photo makes my look huge" because it likely is.
2011-09-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3706292

User image

Master

nnickol - 2011-09-30 9:04 AM This post reminds me of those poor shmuks on those talent/singing shows such as American Idol/X Factor etc. who actually believe they have talent and blame the judges when they're told they don't. People can be delusional. The camera doesn't "add 15 pounds". The camera doesn't "make you look like you're walking". The camera only reflects what it's seeing. If it looks like you're 15 pounds overweight well you probably are. Looks like you're walking when you feel like you're runing? You're probably walking or shuffling. I've had several photos showing me over my race weight or struggling through a run but knew I was out of shape in those photos. All it did was motivate me to change that. And I've had photos that showed me in shape and performing well which validated my training.

Frankly, this is bulls*** on all accounts.    Camera lenses are not all the same.  Pic timing can absolutely obscure the real speed one is going. 

It's amazing how we almost never see "bad" photos of pro and elite level athletes. They're always in shape, always riding or running hard as is reflective of their training and racing. Guess what folks, it's because they are in shape, not because the camera is friendlier to them.

Yep, you're absolutely right here.  Never seen a bad one...

2011-09-30 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Farmington Hills

All my pictures are unflattering. It looked like the up/down scale had been altered, a bit like those mirrors you see at the fairground.

If I was the photographer I would stretch out those photos the other way. I bet they'd sell a lot more! Laughing

2011-09-30 3:10 PM

New user

And here`s another one blaming camera lenses. Wow do you people have trouble comprehending? How many times did I say fat or out of shape or looking slow in my posts? Did I ever say you never see a pro or elite athlete throwing up or stumbling or falling off a bike? No. Too much training must have wiped out a few of your brain cells.

And if you take a look at the photo it seems the camera has done a pretty good job of displaying the lack of fat and the fact that none of the athletes seem to be going slow. Whereas as soon as it’s pointed at us we all seem to put on several pounds and slow to a walk.

Edited by nnickol 2011-09-30 3:11 PM
2011-09-30 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Please stop feeding the troll.

Maybe if we ignore him he will go away and we can resume our pleasant friendly conversation. Is there an online equlavent to changing rooms to get away from a person nobody likes at a party?
2011-09-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3705536

User image

Victoria, British Columbia
KansasMom - 2011-09-29 3:49 PM
agarose2000 - 2011-09-29 12:21 PM

The ironic thing, is that I'll bet 100% that if I look at these pictures again in 10 years, I'll think 'wow - I looked GREAT back then compared to now!' 

^^This^^ I was upset with my pictures from the half marathon I did last weekend, but I calmed myself down by saying almost this exactly. Kind of sad. :-( But oddly comforting.

ETA: So I bought two of them. lol For my future older, fatter self.

Oh no I had this image of a scrapbook of sorts with gradually bigger self in finish line photos...Ack!Surprised

2011-09-30 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
LOL.  My chiropractor has a pic of himself finishing the Chicago Marathon and he looks like a freaking stud.  My race pics make me look like I'm the star attraction in a "let's follow him and see how long he lasts before he dies" contest.  Every pic looks the same, fat and sweaty.  I always buy one and put them in a folder just to have proof that I did these things when I was still able to walk, but they are hideous.

2011-09-30 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3706701

User image

Victoria, British Columbia

LMAO!!!!

sand101 - 2011-09-30 1:25 PM

nnickol - 2011-09-30 9:04 AM This post reminds me of those poor shmuks on those talent/singing shows such as American Idol/X Factor etc. who actually believe they have talent and blame the judges when they're told they don't. People can be delusional. The camera doesn't "add 15 pounds". The camera doesn't "make you look like you're walking". The camera only reflects what it's seeing. If it looks like you're 15 pounds overweight well you probably are. Looks like you're walking when you feel like you're runing? You're probably walking or shuffling. I've had several photos showing me over my race weight or struggling through a run but knew I was out of shape in those photos. All it did was motivate me to change that. And I've had photos that showed me in shape and performing well which validated my training.

Frankly, this is bulls*** on all accounts.    Camera lenses are not all the same.  Pic timing can absolutely obscure the real speed one is going. 

Yep, you're absolutely right here.  Never seen a bad one...

2011-09-30 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

Crap. My picture didn't post even though I followed the directions in the help section. Okay... how do you post a picture to BT forums?

P.S. I'm a former professional photographer and the camera absolutely does distort. Any time you are making a 2D representation of a 3D object, there is distortion. This usually makes people look wider than they are but sometimes it can make them look bonier. Lens choice can exacerbate the situation and lots of race photos are taken with a telephoto lens which compresses everything more than a 50mm so-called normal lens.

Edited by MacMadame 2011-09-30 3:37 PM
2011-09-30 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3706991

User image

Master
MacMadame - 2011-09-30 3:31 PM

P.S. I'm a former professional photographer and the camera absolutely does distort. Any time you are making a 2D representation of a 3D object, there is distortion. This usually makes people look wider than they are but sometimes it can make them look bonier. Lens choice can exacerbate the situation and lots of race photos are taken with a telephoto lens which compresses everything more than a 50mm so-called normal lens.

I'd love take out the 10-20mm and take a picture of the troll and see what he says about truth in lenses then...  ;-)

2011-09-30 10:24 PM

User image

Regular

The troll is probably the size of a whale and has most likely never ran a step in his/her/it's life. 

jami

2011-09-30 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
In my first Tri, the photographer had a great time with me as I came out of T1 onto cobblestones, I threw my right leg over the seat and kept right on going onto the ground.  He had great shots of me on my side with blood and grease on running down my leg.  Thanks sir.

2011-10-01 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
I look at them hoping to find a decent picture. I have not and will not purchase one, though. Well, if I ever complete an Ironman I might get the finish line pic. Way to expensive for me.
2011-10-01 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Is it just me, or do somehow the photos that family/friends manage to snap always look better than the professional shots? I've never bought a professional photo from a race, I never liked how they turned out. But I have two that a family member took that I really quite like.
Maybe there are some love vibes being sent through the lens of the family-cam?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm gonna stop looking at my race pics... Rss Feed  

of 2