General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri (sprint) Weather concerns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-29 12:49 PM

Subject: First Tri (sprint) Weather concerns

I'm doing my first Sprint tri on Saturday in Indiana.  The weather has taken an unexpected turn for the worse.  Race conditions will not be pretty.

Beginning of race = 40 degrees (35 wind chill), water temp is 67, 12mph winds.

I'm concerned now with what all to wear.  Obviously I don't want to wear too much, or too little.  Right now I just have tri shorts and tri top.  I have a scuba "Shortie" wetsuit that I am borrowing (I know it's not ideal, but that water is extremely cold for no wetsuit)

I need advice on what to wear for the rest of the Tri.  What should I throw on for the bike and run portions?

Thanks!

2011-09-29 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3705308

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: First Tri (sprint) Weather concerns

Is this in Muncie?  I'll be there at body marking then doing the Du.  If there is any chance of my being cold on the bike, I sacrifice the time in T1 to put on a jacket.  I'm not fast enought that it matters and being cold will just make me slower.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

(and get dry warm clothes on immediately after finishing)

2011-09-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3705377

Yes this is in Muncie!  That water is going to be brutal.
2011-09-29 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3705308

I live in florida now but spent 40 years in New England. My favorit trick is to start the ride with a cycing nylon rain jacket IP or specialized (not plastic). once I heat up I yank it and stuff it  into the back pocket of my jearsy. keep it for the run if needed they weigh very little but block the arctic  blast.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri (sprint) Weather concerns Rss Feed