General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MightyMan Half "mUrder Hill" and race tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-29 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: MightyMan Half "mUrder Hill" and race tips

Doing the HIM on sunday and all I read about is "murder Hill"...I did the oly in june and I know Montauk has some deceptively steep hills, but is this Murder Hill as murderous as advertised, in your opinion or is it overstated? thanks....any other tips on this race would be appreciated also

2011-09-29 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3705566

User image

Subject: RE: MightyMan Half "mUrder Hill" and race tips
to be honest murder hill is not bad, just short and steep. once youu reach murder hill the whole area is hilly and the numerous amounts of hills will get to you. pace yourself good and just push up the hills and you'll do great!
2011-09-29 8:48 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Murder hill is not the problem, it is the hill you go down while looking out at the ocean, only to realize once you get to the bottom, the hill you just went down...you now have to go back up, that is demoralizing.  First couple 3-4 miles are flat and open make hay, then the hills hit, lotsa short steep ones, survive, then get back out to the flats you came in on. 2 loops, don't let the first one kill ya, save a bit for the second, your weather will be a bit chilly, that might help.  Best of luck!!!!

2011-10-03 8:29 AM

Post race - I ran in the olympic distance race which was mostly alot of fun.  If it were not for good samaritan Bill Garry, a local accomplished triathlete, coming to my rescue i would not have finished.  It seemed that he was the only one out there helping people fix flats and i needed it.  I was working on my tire for what seemed like an eternity when he showed up - as i was still wet from the swim i was getting really cold and didn't have the dexterity to change my tire.  When we finally got the tire on, we realized the new tube was already punctured.  At that point i would have called it and walked home - but he had a patch kit and repaired the hole in the first tube and got me on my way. Thanks Bill! 

It seemed that Bill was busy yesterday morning as i saw quite a few people getting flats out on 27 towards the light house.  Where was the official road crew?

As for the swim and run - of the four places i have swam this summer fort pond lake was definitely the most pleasant.  And the run, those hills on the north part of the run were very challenging.  It felt like there were far more uphills than downhills. 

If i can i will definitely do this race again next year, but i will bring two tubes instead of one and a patch kit - just in case Bill is not out there.

2011-10-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3708848

User image

Veteran
ITri5959 - 2011-10-03 9:29 AM

Post race - I ran in the olympic distance race which was mostly alot of fun.  If it were not for good samaritan Bill Garry, a local accomplished triathlete, coming to my rescue i would not have finished.  It seemed that he was the only one out there helping people fix flats and i needed it.  I was working on my tire for what seemed like an eternity when he showed up - as i was still wet from the swim i was getting really cold and didn't have the dexterity to change my tire.  When we finally got the tire on, we realized the new tube was already punctured.  At that point i would have called it and walked home - but he had a patch kit and repaired the hole in the first tube and got me on my way. Thanks Bill! 

It seemed that Bill was busy yesterday morning as i saw quite a few people getting flats out on 27 towards the light house.  Where was the official road crew?

As for the swim and run - of the four places i have swam this summer fort pond lake was definitely the most pleasant.  And the run, those hills on the north part of the run were very challenging.  It felt like there were far more uphills than downhills. 

If i can i will definitely do this race again next year, but i will bring two tubes instead of one and a patch kit - just in case Bill is not out there.

I did the oly too and saw a lot of flats. Roads looked like they were in good shape though.

I did see a lot of support vehicles driving around.  Not sure how many were out there for bike support.

Very tough run IMO.

2011-10-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3708848

User image

Elite
ITri5959 - 2011-10-03 9:29 AM

yes i agree...i did the HIM and in the first 5 miles on the bike I saw 3 flats and a a few more near the lighthouse....I did see a couple vehicles out there helping but im sure it was inconsistent.

The swim was pleasant other than the usual free for all that occurs in all tris....and yes the hills got to me also

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MightyMan Half "mUrder Hill" and race tips Rss Feed