General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 52s
Overall Rank = 113/209
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am and ate some oatmeal. Drove ~20 min to race site. Got body marked and set up TA. Went to get timing chip and ate a Cliff bar. Walked around a little and looked at the water and checked out the path to T1 (it was really far!). Ate a banana and hung out at the swim start.
Event warmup:

Not really much warm up, except eating. :)
Swim
  • 33m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off a little slow, but was able to get into somewhat of a groove. Did a decent job drafting a few times, but ended up wanting to go faster so I passed the person I was drafting behind. Stopped a couple times as people interfered with me while they were swimming the wrong line. I pulled back to let them go across my path then got back at it.
What would you do differently?:

Get more swim time in. I focused so much on my bike during my training that I neglected my swim. So, I should SWIM MORE! And maybe even get some more OWS practice in.
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Let me first say that T1 was a looong way from the swim out! I'm not kidding I had to run for at least 2 minutes to even get into the TA. I can't imagine how long it would have taken me if I would have worn my wetsuit. There was also a big downhill that was mostly slick grass. I actually sat down in T1 which cost me a bit of time, but not much in the whole scheme of things. I had a little trouble getting clipped in after my flying mount on the bike. Maybe I was still disoriented after the swim and 1 mile run to T1. 12/24 in AG for T1 and 116/209 OA-basically middle of the pack.

Not a lot. I could have practiced transitions and improved somewhat, but that probably would have only improved my T1 by about 30 seconds.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 7s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt I had a pretty strong bike, but looking at the results, it doesn't really reflect that. I'm still toward the back of pack in the rankings. I was happy to average 19mph+ but when the leaders in my AG avg'd 23-24mph, that's tough to keep up with. I typically leave the bike thinking "I could have pushed more" but always struggle with not wanting to suffer on the run.

Might try to push a little harder, but my run was about all I had left, so ultimately not much. I'm pleased with this for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I must not have been with it (or thinking about what was happening) because I only clipped out on one side, like I was done with my ride and didn't think about getting both feet unclipped and jumping off the bike like normal. This slowed me down a little. I also moved a little slower than normal in T2 after racking my bike. 14/24 in AG for T2 and 133/209 OA.

Remember to unclip both feet and jump off. Move faster in T2.
Run
  • 58m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to be able to run the whole course as I ran out of fuel last race. I ran strong the first half (averaged on pace sub 9min/mi) but the second half was tough. I slowed my pace and kept running. I ended up walking about 0.10 mile about a quarter mile before the finish. I finished strong, sprinting across the line. Ultimately, I don't think I could have ran harder and still finished. I'm pleased, although always looking for improvements.

I think more long bricks would get me used to longer exercising and getting comfortable running so far after the bike. Overall, I'm very pleased with my performance and where my average pace ended up.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some juicy fruits and downed lots of gatorade and water. Then, just hung out with my cuz (shout out for coming to watch me finish!) Dustin and waited for KP.

PS I did meet a sub goal of beating KP :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could have trained more. Had a back injury that kept me out of training for about a week in the heat of it, so that hindered my build up.

Event comments:

The course was challenging, but not impossible. It tested me just right as there aren't many hills to train on in Abilene. The swim started a little late, but that's because we were waiting on the sun to come up (safety reasons I'm sure). Post-race seems to be lower key these days. Okay food, drinks, but just not many booths or much going on after the race. They did have free massages, but I didn't partake because KP had to catch a flight. Overall, good race and well put on like all Playtri events.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:30 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/24
Overall: 152/209
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shirt and shorts
Course: Although the water was wetsuit legal, I decided against wearing my wetsuit as I hadn't practiced with it. KH and KP were definitely tired of hearing my internal debate on whether to wear it or not. Swim was 2 loops with wave start and overall pretty crowded.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:42
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:07 | 24 miles | 19.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/24
Overall: 164/209
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops, slightly hilly around Stonebridge Ranch. The loops weren't as terrible as I had imagined, but right out of T1 and into the first turn was uphill so that was killer. Also, have of the bike was cross wind (which picked up a lot by my 3rd lap) and into the wind one straight-away and with the wind one straight-away.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:52 | 06.21 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/24
Overall: 155/209
Course: Out and back, hilly paved trail course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-29 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

2011-10-03 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3705685

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic
Nice race!  That T1 is no joke, either.  Good work out there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed