Right on, Jenny.  My thoughts exactly.

2011-10-13 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3722127

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Interesting CF and ironman video
mwunderle - 2011-10-13 8:09 AM

Unfortunately, that is simply not the case for many of these athletes.  Additionally, there seems to be a large degree of ignorance about what the CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance protocol involves.  As an example, these athletes performed 5-6 CrossFit WODs (workouts of the day) which can be sampled from www.crossfit.com and an additional 6 swim, bike and run WODs during the week.  Each S/B/R protocol calls for 1 time trial and one interval session per week.  So, you are looking at 12 WODs per week in total.

In the case of every veteran triathlete that we've had run this protocol, the reduction of S/B/R and addition of CrossFit WODs has resulted in faster performance.  Clearly this sample isn't exactly large or significantly inclusive, but for these athletes and others who continue to experiment with this protocol, the old wives tale of "more is more" is, in fact, wrong.

More is, in fact, more. The question is, how have these athletes attempted to achieve "more?" If they have simply added more volume with no intensity, then it is not suprising that after years of easy aerobic exercise, including a TT and interval session in each sport each week is going to create a larger training stress and, assuming they can stay healthy, they should be faster.

However, as I asked before, I was wondering if you could provide a list of these results; I would love to see everything in one spot.

Shane
2011-10-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3706756

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

x3.  I'd wager that every one of the athletes who saw improvements using CF or CFE got those results because of the increased training load, not CF or CFE specifically.  Athletes plateau because of their failure to progressively increase training load, not because they focus on s/b/r training.  If they had increased their load by the same amount, but while paying more attention to the principle of specificity, they would have seen even greater improvements.

I also don't begrudge anyone training in whatever manner they choose, but I do have an issue with claims that a particular method is superior when the claims contradict the most fundamental training principles, namely progressive overload and specificity.

2011-10-13 11:46 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT

That is exactly the point.  Many of these athletes had been simply adding more and more traditional LSD volume and had plateaued.  The incorporation of CF/CFE and replacement of higher intensity efforts successfully forced their bodies to adapt to more power demand, hence they became stronger and more able to perform faster.

As for the request to offer summaries on these various athletes protocols before and after, I have given their specific training protocols for 6-12 months in the blogs many of these athletes kept.  Should anyone be interested in seeing how they trained, here is a thread that includes each athletes exact protocols.  Unfortunately, people like Shane and others don't seem interested in performing their own due diligence in reviewing the exact workouts.  For those of you who are interested in reviewing them, here is a link to their protocols:

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=577&start=0

Max

2011-10-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3722641

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
mwunderle - 2011-10-13 10:46 AM

That is exactly the point.  Many of these athletes had been simply adding more and more traditional LSD volume and had plateaued.  The incorporation of CF/CFE and replacement of higher intensity efforts successfully forced their bodies to adapt to more power demand, hence they became stronger and more able to perform faster

I think that's the point everyone is trying to make here, Max. It's the addition of the intensity which resulted in the improvements which could have been achieved in any number of ways besides CF/CFE and arguably had that been increse in S/B/R intensity, the gains could have been even more race specific.
2011-10-13 11:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2011-10-13 12:21 PM

2011-10-13 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3722661

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
bryancd - 2011-10-13 12:54 PM

That is exactly the point.  Many of these athletes had been simply adding more and more traditional LSD volume and had plateaued.  The incorporation of CF/CFE and replacement of higher intensity efforts successfully forced their bodies to adapt to more power demand, hence they became stronger and more able to perform faster

I think that's the point everyone is trying to make here, Max. It's the addition of the intensity which resulted in the improvements which could have been achieved in any number of ways besides CF/CFE and arguably had that been increse in S/B/R intensity, the gains could have been even more race specific.

Exactly!

2011-10-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3722661

Veteran
bryancd - 2011-10-13 11:54 AM

^  He gets it.  It's about smart SBR training.

From my other CFE post.

Crossfitter's hangup on the term "LSD" or "long and slow" is rediculous.  Not one of the 11 athletes I train with who did an Ironman this season did nothing but LSD.  We all do tempo days, threshold days, hill repeats, intervals and *gasp* a long slow day.  For me, this style of training was across all three sports.  (Not to mention I was doing strength training with the TRX two days a week as well!)

I PEAKED at 16-17 hours for one week and that was with a century ride and a 20 mile run.  Most weeks were ~10 hours until my last big build.  I went 12:07 on a wicked-hot day in Canada (and I was the slow one out of my group.)  I keep hearing Crossfit proponents telling their lemmings that everyone training "traditional" is doing 20-30 hours a week. . .I believe that is so not true, the only people I personally know who train that much are the couple pros here in Eugene (one won Wildflower and the other podiums at both the 70.3 and IM distances.)

On a side note, training for sprints doing nothing but LSD is a huge mistake.  If you train slow, you race slow. . .and sprint does not equal slow. 

XX hours a week of smart SBR will always make someone faster than XX hours a week of CF/CFE.

Edited by gonwalkabout03 2011-10-13 2:53 PM
2011-10-13 3:31 PM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Crossfit is strength training.  It will make you look way hotter when you cross the finish line.

My sample size of 11 teammates of Team TPR...

The people who put in HIGH VOLUME at an easy pace (including me) finished 1-4 for our team.

The people who put in HIGH INTENSITY regardless of volume finished 5-11.

Seriously, if you want to get better at golf, primarily practice golf.  If you want to get better at fly fishing, practice fly fishing.  If you want to get better at triathlon, practice triathlon.

2011-10-13 6:11 PM

Champion
mwunderle - 2011-10-13 1:46 PM

Unfortunately, people like Shane and others don't seem interested in performing their own due diligence in reviewing the exact workouts.

Seriously?

In every one of the CF/CFE posts of yours to which I have been nothing but professional in my dealings with you and you are going to indicate that I am not willing to do my due diligence in reviewing the exact workouts?

I am asking for something that should be easy to find should the CFE approach actually be all that it is touted to be; provide a list of athletes, their pre CFE times and their post CFE times. Assuming that athletes are posting PB's, then it should be something that you want to celebrate, not just keep in a blog where you force people to wade through the minutae in order to find these data.

I have read several different CFE race reports and even gone through a couple of blogs; to say I am underwhelmed by its effectiveness would be an understatement. As I said, I would be happy to be shown that I am wrong but based on what I have seen to date, I don't see any reason to wade through a bunch of blogs to find the information.

Shane
2011-10-13 6:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-10-13 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3723098

Expert
Northern CA
pga_mike - 2011-10-13 1:31 PM

Crossfit is strength training.

To be fair, CFE is not just strength training. The easiest way to understand it is to think of it as tempo and HIIT workouts added on to CF.

The other thing is, it's not just cutting out volume. If someone is doing a low volume training plan, that's not CFE. The key to making CFE work is the intensity and most people don't work out as intensely as you are supposed to.

Note: I am not defending CFE as the one true training path. As I have said, I am skeptical that it really works for HIM and IM distance. But I also think that people don't really understand what it is. I have read a number of 'critiques' of CF and CFE that were basically just bashing it and often for ridiculous things that weren't even true. I'd love to see a really thoughtful critique that went through the different workouts and talked about what was good and bad about them compared to the more traditional ways of doing things. I'd also love to see the numbers asked for here.

As someone trying to make up their mind and who wants to see some scientific data, it's very frustrating because I see a lack of data on both sides of the argument.

2011-10-13 9:51 PM

Pro

I do triathlon because I enjoy training swim/bike/run, with some weight training (admittedly not as much when I'm really hitting it good). 

You can't take two people with equal natural ability, let one train s/b/r in a decent way, let the other train CFE in a decent way, and tell me that the CFE trained person has a prayer in hell chance of staying close to the s/b/r trained person.  It won't ever happen.

If you want to convince me that CFE is a shortcut to "finishing" a triathlon then save your breath, I believe it.  I have no interest.

2011-10-14 6:45 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
mwunderle - 2011-10-13 12:46 PM

That is exactly the point.  Many of these athletes had been simply adding more and more traditional LSD volume and had plateaued.  The incorporation of CF/CFE and replacement of higher intensity efforts successfully forced their bodies to adapt to more power demand, hence they became stronger and more able to perform faster.

As for the request to offer summaries on these various athletes protocols before and after, I have given their specific training protocols for 6-12 months in the blogs many of these athletes kept.  Should anyone be interested in seeing how they trained, here is a thread that includes each athletes exact protocols.  Unfortunately, people like Shane and others don't seem interested in performing their own due diligence in reviewing the exact workouts.  For those of you who are interested in reviewing them, here is a link to their protocols:

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=577&start=0

Max

ummm.... no.... In order to do my "due diligence", I checked out the thread you posted, and it includes nothing like "exact training protocols" for anyone. It includes links to a bunch of individual training blogs. Most of us have better things to do with our time than wade through a bunch of training blogs to try and find all the training details. You were the one who made the claims about this training protocol, therefore the onus is on YOU to back them up. If the protocol is as amazing as you claim, it should be pretty easy to do.

The thread you linked is an interesting read, though - particularly the discussion after the linked blogs about the fact that pretty much none of these athletes trained using JUST prescirbed CF/CFE workouts, but that most of them added in some longer more moderately paced efforts.... And then "clarificiation" (?) that CFE isn't JUST following the prescribed WOD's but that adding in longer efforts is "encouraged". Gee, that sounds a lot like the kind of training most of us have been taking about in this thread - applying appropriate training stress, including some shorter, higher intensity training and some longer, more moderately paced efforts. Again, adding intensity to training is a GOOD thing. There are many training protocols out there that reduce training hours by applying training stress using shorter, higher intensity training sessions. CFE is one way to do that, but it's certainly not the ONLY way, and the approach is hardly revolutionary. And it's pretty clear that the successful CFE long-course athletes followed a training regimen that included CFE PLUS additional s/b/r training. Interesting - so they trained using combination high intensity and (much maligned by CFE) "LSD" efforts. What a novel approach to triathlon training....

I found this post particularly interesting:

"I decided to try for myself training for Oly and Half-Ironman on CFE only ***as prescribed*** Nothing extra. I truly followed the CFE blog to the letter. My performance took a signifigant nosedive. I have 24 years of competing in triathlons, so I know how my body typically feels while racing and it felt very different in terms of endurance. So, I'm not a believer, at least not for myself to *compete*. "Complete" is different."
2011-10-14 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3723385

Champion
MacMadame - 2011-10-13 9:21 PM

As someone trying to make up their mind and who wants to see some scientific data, it's very frustrating because I see a lack of data on both sides of the argument.

I understand that you would feel that CFE is lacking data but what is the other side where you find the data lacking?

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting CF and ironman video Rss Feed  

of 2