World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 33m 34s
Overall Rank = 761/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 145/
Pre-race routine:

up, diet mtn dew for the caffine, banana and a clif bar. head down to the race start with my two friends. Drinking powerade and water.
Event warmup:

walking around, light stretching, etc.
Swim
  • 30m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

first time in a wetsuit, current was moving along so combined with the wetsuit it was a pretty fast swim. shoulders got a little more tired than expected, so that affected my perfornance.
What would you do differently?:

not get sick or travel the two weeks before if at all possible. and spend more time in the pool, Muncie swim training was good, need to keep focused on Augusta
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

loved the striippers, long run up through transition. made sure that i had all that i needed, took a little longer than expected but wasn't too bad. I'm guessing the run added a minute onto what it actually was.

be more efficient in my movements.. not a sprint/oly so not super worried about time, but would like to cut some down.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

hit my marks on the bike 15 minutes per every 5 miles give or take.. made sure to race my own race and not try to keep up with everyone that passed. got pushed off of the road and into the grass by one paceline around mile 40 ish, luckily in the horns and didn't wreck, could've been a bad day. First major race with the new wheels, performed flawlessly very happy with the bike.

Probably could've pushed a little harder, but knew the heat could play a factor, Will try to push to a :40 or so next time around. Little more training/time in the saddle should help with that.
Transition 2
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

again, was dilligent in my motions, long run back out of transition didn't help. also put socks on for the run, toes kept doing weird things so took a little longer.

tell my toes to behave..
Run
  • 2h 10m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

came off the bike feeling great, running an 8 min mile which is my standalone 1/2 pace. backed it down to an 8:45 knowing the heat would play a factor and didn't want to burn out right away. crossed the mat the first time with an 8:40 average, very happy with that. HELLLLLOOOO HEAT and HUMIDITY about mile 9ish ankle was bothering me, not sure why but it was hurting..aid stations weren't spaced evenly in some areas, made the run very challenging at times especially after the heat kicked in..ankle was really hurting mile 10ish, started walk running (walk a .1 run .3 or so) and made sure to walk the stations for ice/coke/motorcycles, etc. mile 12ish said to myself "self, it's going to hurt anyway".. picked up to run (sic) the remaining roughly mile and pushed through best I could.

not hurt my ankle? stash buckets of ice on the course?
Post race
Warm down:

dumped cold water on and in me.. almost throw up said cold water, but light stretch and sit down in whatever shade i could find.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

tweaked ankle and 85+ deg heat and 85%+ humidity.

Event comments:

must've struck my ankle funny on the run, was bruised and swollen the remainder of the day as well as the next. Swelling has since gone down and have had it checked out, tendonitis is the issue.. not sure why, but taking it easy because of it for now. Race goal was a 5:45 as my previous best was a 5:56 so a 5:33 was a good time for me.. Frustrating thing is if I would've kept my pace my run would've put me in a low 5:20 or high 5:teen which I would've been stoked about. We'll see where we set the goals for next year. I've got a low 5 in me, i know it..

Last updated: 2011-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 246/
Overall: 1583/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Sleeve
Course: point to poit down river
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:45:46 | 56 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 174/
Overall: 877/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hills, 1 decent climb but good amount of flat as well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good