General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale CAD3 vs. newer bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-01 12:36 AM

Subject: Cannondale CAD3 vs. newer bike

Hey everyone I'm completely new to triathlons and the such. I've swam on a high school team and did cross country one year so I'm pretty good in those sections, but completely overwhelmed with the biking section. I'm currently looking for an entry-level cheap as possible bike to use to train and learn proper technique and such. I've found an ad for a cheaper roadbike(unsure if its a tri bike) that I found on craigslist for a Cannondale CAD3 for about 350. I understand this bike is old, but my question is if I should go ahead with this ad or look into buying a sameprice road bike but newer. Please let me know as soon as possible!

Thanks

2011-10-01 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3707357

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Cannondale CAD3 vs. newer bike

I believe the CAAD 3 was the last Cannondale to use the heavier quill stem and threaded fork. This is an extremely stiff frame, so you will want to have a gel seat.  Make sure the bike has 9 speed shimano 105 components or better. This should be a good training bike, and one to learn bike mechanics.

As a testament to Cannondales, I still have my first Cannondale I bought in 1988. Last winter I started with the bare frame and replaced EVERY component, including the wheels. I also have a Cannondale CX, and am looking get a Cannondale road bike. My girlfriend has 3 Cannondales. They have been that reliable and comfortable to ride.

2011-10-01 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3707710

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I did the same last year off of craigslist.  It was my first bike, and I had no idea what I was getting into.  I love the frame, but the components are incredibly old.  I have 7-speed shimano shifters, with shimano 6000 components, which they do not make anymore.  The shifters suck, and to replace them, I'd have to replace the entire group set or find new 7-speed shifters, which is impossible.  So I agree with the previous post:  check the components. make sure they are new-ish, or at least able to find replacements.  And I second the gel seat.  I don't, and I will be getting one soon.  
2011-10-03 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Six000MileYear - 2011-10-01 6:01 PM

I believe the CAAD 3 was the last Cannondale to use the heavier quill stem and threaded fork. This is an extremely stiff frame, so you will want to have a gel seat.  Make sure the bike has 9 speed shimano 105 components or better. This should be a good training bike, and one to learn bike mechanics.

Correct on the stem/fork, I have and still ride my CAAD 3... I've had it for a looong time and honestly don't feel the need to get another bike.  As a roadie this works very well for me. BTW if it is stock built, it should have 105 all the way around.

2011-10-03 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I just took a look at the 1999 Cannondale catalog. Those CAAD 4 frames had the quill stem. Later CAAD4 frames used an integrated threadless headset. CAAD 5 definitely used a threadless fork.
2011-10-04 5:39 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The CAAD3 was designed to be super stiff (on request from Mario Cipollini) and although very efficient in the power transfer, it's not a forgiving frame... if you live in an area where the road surface has a little to be wished for, then I would probably look for a newer CAAD frame (the CAAD9 and 10 are actually very comfortable).

As pointed out, the components could be quite old, which has two concerns... first, in what condition are they? Have they been well maintained? Second, can you find parts to rebuild them if needed? I 7-spd. it's getting pretty challenging to find cassettes, etc.

2011-10-04 2:52 PM

User image

Suwanee, GA

Keep looking about two years ago I picked up a Specializd Allez with Tiagra 9s double (not 105), carbon fork, carbon wrapped seat post and decent wheels.  It needed a full tune up, new chain and had a scratched frame (so what!).  It did take 3 weeks on craigslist to find but he did give it up for $500 with look keo classic pedals.  I upgraded wheels and shifters and even though I have bought a new TT/Tri bike I am keeping this one as my road.  You can find a great bike if you keep looking.

My 2 cents and good luck.  BTW my new TT/Tri is a Cannondale  

2011-10-06 1:03 AM

User image

The Heeb, UT

CAAD (Cannondale Advanced Aluminum Design) 3 refers only to the frame design, and not component spec.  In '95 or so (when C'Dale moved from the older 2.8 design to the then newer CAAD series), you could get anything from 105 to Dura Ace on one of these frames.  As subsequent generations (CAAD 4, CAAD 5, etc.) came out, the CAAD 3 was maintained for Tiagra, and eventually Sora spec bikes.

I spent 7 years on one of these, and can honestly say that 90% of the 'conventional wisdom' about ride quality is marketing hype promulgated by bike magazines to drive sales.  It's no barcalounger, but that is true of pretty much every road bike short of a Softride or Titanflex.  That said, it is a traditional (horizontal top tube) frame design, so what you gain in aesthetics, you lose in seatpost flex and resulting 'suspension'

One spot where the frameset may affect ride is the fork.  The OEM carbon fork was a standard (for the time) quill design with an aluminum crown and steel steerer.  Ride quality was OK - not as comfy as a contemporary Trek Icon Airrail, but not as sketchy flexy under cornering or hard braking either.

If the components are both functional and 8 speed or better, 300 is probably an OK deal.

2011-10-13 12:29 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great information! Turned out that the bike was way too big for me, about 60cm where I'm a 53cm. Still looking out on craigslist, I almost snagged a triathlon bike for 450, but someone got to it before me.

I'm currently looking at a Trek 2300 road bike with what seems like all stock components. Here's the details:

Custom ZR9000 alloy frame with OCLV Carbon 110 fork, 18 speed, 700c wheels, 54 cm, Bontrager race lite rims, Shimano Ultegra components, cat eye cyclometer, New bar tape, brake and shifter cables, quick release wheels. Bike has been cleaned and tuned up. Bike looks and rides great with a few knicks on the cross bar.

This is for 200$ for what seems to be a bike from 2003. This seems like an awesome deal, but maybe too good to be true? Thanks! Oh and please keep in mind that I plan on using this bike for triathlons and training.

Edited by heelflipp900 2011-10-13 12:30 PM
2011-10-14 6:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'd say that's a good deal on that bike.

2021-04-21 9:31 AM
in reply to: heelflipp900

I totally agree with the previous comments, better to check the components. Just make sure they are new-ish, or at least able to find replacements. And I second the gel seat. Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale CAD3 vs. newer bike Rss Feed