RAM Racing
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 358/825
Pre-race routine:

Not much different than getting ready for work or something. Up at 6, had some iced coffee. I would have had some toast or something, but I normally don't before running in the morning and wasn't planning on wowing the race with my crazy fast time or anything like that.
Event warmup:

Uh, trying to stay WARM. We rode our bikes over because we'd otherwise have to take 2 buses or take our chances finding parking so the wind turned my fingers to ice. Waited till the last second to check my fleece jacket and gloves.
Run
  • 30m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I seemed to keep a pretty steady pace. Once mile 1.5 came around and I felt OK keeping a sub-10:00 pace, I decided to go for it and just stick with it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. If I went harder I probably would have screwed up my back or something, and I felt on the edge of what was comfortable respiratorily (I think I made up that word just now).
Post race
Warm down:

Oops, forgot to stretch. Grabbed a banana and waited for Chris who finished a few mins after me. Took pictures, natch.

Event comments:

For a neighborhood 5K, it seemed to go fine. But I don't get why it would have been so hard to just put up some corral signs with paces on them. They can't cost that much money.

It was kind of impossible to gauge where we should line up, because the crowd rendered the back of the pack invisible and so the whole crowd was fast runners mixed in with people who walked the whole thing. I'm sure I wasted energy maneuvering around them in the beginning.

Also, they listed "bike parking" on the website which led me to believe they'd have racks set up for bikers, but when we got there, "bike parking" was more like "find an empty segment of public fence and lock your bike to it." That was a bit misleading.

But hey, I PR'd so all is forgiven.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:41 | 03.11 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/825
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Through my home turf of sorts and past the dog park where we take Penny.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-10-02 11:31 AM

User image

Subject: Bucktown 5k

2011-10-02 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3708069

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Bucktown 5k
Congrats on that Pr!! I always struggle to stay warm before races like this. Hard when you don't have a car!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bucktown 5k Rss Feed