General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockwall, Texas
United States
Life Time Fitness Athletic Events
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 8s
Overall Rank = 372/440
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 37/39
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race about 6am. Set up transition and then waited for start in the hotel. It was in the 50s outside.
Event warmup:

Not much. Just waited for swim to start. Watched the pros from the dock.
Swim
  • 34m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first Olympic and I got a little unnerved in the water for some reason. Swam about 300 or 400 meters and the chop around all the swimmers started getting to me. Kept sucking in water and bumping into people. Sort of panicked a little bit but finally got myself to calm down. Found some open clean water and got into a groove. Time was really good despite it all.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. Maybe having done an Olympic now, I will be more calm. The sprints don't give me any problems at all.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

It was a long way from the water to the transition area. Decided not to clip my shoes in ahead of time. Leaving transition, it was straight up a hill. Should have started in my middle ring. Underestimated the steepness of the hill. Woman ahead of me didn't make the first 50 feet and almost fell in front of me. Tough start.

Be in the right gear to handle the hill straight out of transition.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Bought new wheels before the race and I'm glad I did. Considering the wind and the hills, my time was very good for me. Toughest course I have ridden in a tri this year. I heard the course was new this year and veterans of this triathlon all said their times were slower than usual.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Missed my rack on the way in and had to come back. Stomach was giving me problems on the ride and had to make a stop in the Portolet when I left transition. Bummer. Lost a few minutes.

Nothing much different I could do.
Run
  • 1h 04m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Seemed like the first few miles were really slow and it was probably the hill that did me in until I could get a rhythm going. Ran with a few people who helped pass the time and took my mind off the hills. Goal was to finish the run while running the whole way. Stomach cramped at about mile 5. Walked for about two minutes and then sucked it up and finished the run. A little bummed out about that. Considering the difficulty, I was actually pretty happy. Would liked to have finished with sub 10 minute miles.

Need to find out if there was a problem with my nutrition combination. Other than that, went ok.
Post race
Warm down:

They had cold towels at the finish. Same thing they had at the Captextri in Austin. Felt great. Grabbed a Gatorade and a banana. Found my friend that came with me after the race. Listened to the band for a few minutes and then got out of there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Goofy swim, a bad transition, and some stomach problems. For my first Olympic, I'll take it. Goal was to see how my body responded to the distance and finish reasonably. Wasn't really looking to do much else.

Event comments:

Good race. Would definitely come back and do it again. I will need to be in much better shape next time. Well organized. Lots of help on the streets with the police and volunteers. It was a great day. You can't beat October in Texas.

Last updated: 2011-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:11 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/440
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Fuzion
Course: Square. Out over and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:28:10 | 24.85 miles | 16.91 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Lots of hills on this course. Course was well managed by the police and the volunteers. Strange second loop when you got out at the end to add an extra mile and a half or so.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:33 | 06.21 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Really steep hill coming out of transition. Out into a neighborhood area and then returned the same way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-02 5:13 PM

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed