General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Mini Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Mini Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 17m 37s
Overall Rank = 58/73
Age Group = Clydesdale > 40
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

I drove down to Deer Creek Lodge on Saturday. It was really cold and rainy. I went over to check-in and find some arm warmers and any other cold weather gear I could pick up that I did not already have. After check-in I went back to the Lodge and did my best to stretch out and get my gear ready. I was originally supposed to be around 60 degrees out but it was no where near that on Saturday or going to be near that on Sunday. I laid out warm weather clothes and planned out my nutrition. I wasn't going to need as much hydration as I typically would just due to the weather. I had one 2 hour bottle of perpetuem, 6 hammer gels, 2 hammer bars, enduolytes and a few waters. I sipped on a large gatorade Saturday evening.

Event warmup:

Sat in car with heater going full blast just like everyone else.
Swim
  • 28m 8s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me although I need to remember to keep body level and practice sighting a bit more. the official race was .6 miles. I swam .75 mile.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing but practice and technique.
Transition 1
  • 05m 2s
Comments:

What a disaster. I had my GPS on over my wetsuit around my wrist. When I was taking my wetsuit off it got caught on my watch and wasn't budging until I just pulled down as hard as I could. i tore my wetsuit and became frustrated. In the process the pulling action turned the GPS off so there went my first use of the GPS. I just took it off and threw it in my bag. I know this was a long transition. it did not help that feet and hands wee ice cold and It was hard getting everything else on that I needed to. I ended up just leaving my long tights and cycling with my tri shorts, arm warmers, cycling top, skull cap, helmet, full gloves, shoes and helmet.

Take my time and just take the watch off before attempting to take wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 51s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a bad ride for me although when the headwinds hit I slowed quite a bit. I also pushed a few hills but a few pushed back.

I need to do more endurance as well as hill training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Good transition for me.
Run
  • 1h 14m 52s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was going to be a slow run. When I left the transition area I could not feel my toes and about half of my foot due to the extreme cold. I did run the entire way only walking through 3 water stations.
Post race
Warm down:

Went right back to Lodge and jumped in Hot Tub.

Last updated: 2011-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:08 | 1056 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 62/73
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3 Full wetsuit
Course: The course was counter clockwise meaning that the first leg was in shallow water. A lot of people were just walking to the first bouy. I swam most all of it freestyle. The water was a bit choppy but not too bad. I did not have to exercise much MMA in the water either which was nice. i only ran into a few people.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:02
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:27:51 | 24.8 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 46/73
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course was nice although the winds were strong and there was a section of road about .5 mile that was all gravel. I thought for sure I was going to blow a tire but did not. There were 2 nice size hills that were tough for me but I made it up them. Overall the course was not bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:14:52 | 06.55 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 65/73
Performance: Average
Course: Run out and back. Lots of wind on the way out but it was nice having a wind to your back coming in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-03 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Mini Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Mini Triathlon Rss Feed