United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 28s
Overall Rank = 69/344
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/34
Pre-race routine:

Had toast and some water. Race started at 9, transition opened at 7:30. They had said at packet pick-up and on the website that bike racks would be assigned my race numbers, so I wasn't worried about arriving right on time. Turns out it was open racks, so tried to make the best of it. Set up in transition and then hiked down to the swim area to set up mini-transition. I put an extra pair of running shoes in the mini-transition and my main pair in the main transition area. Beautiful cool morning, the first nice weekend we've had in 4 months!
Swim
  • 21m 10s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my second tri and I had a rough experience with my first one, including a bit of panic and doubt. This one went so much better. Bouys were on the left (which was great for me as I like to breath to the left). I stayed to the right and had minimal contact with other swimmers. The course was set up as a triangle, with heading towards deeper water and looping back towards the start at the mid-way point. The last bouy was yellow and hard to see, I saw lots of people turning early (hopefully all accidental). This swim felt much better to me than my time reflected, but I was just happy to have a positive experience with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 08m 20s
Comments:

T1 includes a .3-.4 mile run, with two very steep hills. Coming out of the swim a mini-transition for shoes is available. Basically both sides of the road are lines with tape and race numbers in order. If you are lucky your number is towards the bottom of the hills, if not you are towards the top. I was right around the middle. I also keep a bottle of water to grab, so I could hydrate here and not have to worry about drinking on the bike as much.
What would you do differently?:

This is certainly the low-light of this course, but at least they subtract this from the run distance at the end!
Bike
  • 44m 32s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved this course. It is very beautiful and a super smooth road, hilly with very little flat periods. I was passed twice towards the end of the second loop. I felt great on the bike, certainly the better part of my race. Lots of first timers on the course and passing was a bit tricky at points, with people all over the road. I probably had to do some light breaking about three times due to congestion, but everyone was very friendly on the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

A fairly long paved entrance into transition from the dismount line. I switched to speedplay cleats recently and had trouble with the run out, so I went ahead and kicked my shoes off and ran in my socks. Probably would have gone better if I had planned this vs spontaneously doing it, but it worked okay.
Run
  • 31m 34s
  • 2.7 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started off okay for me, did a few minutes of walking on the loop back as I was getting a little light headed. It's a nice course, but there aren't any mile markers on it and the course map on the website was hard to follow to try and map out the miles before hand. I had some trouble without the mile markers, I wasn't able to really think through how far I was (or wasn't) into the run. Still have lots of work to do with my run, but at least I'm moving in the right direction! My husband and 6 y/o daughter were cheering throughout the course, and it made such a difference in helping me get through the run. I kept thinking about how my daughter woke up at midnight and got dressed to go because she was so excited (don't worry, she fell right back asleep)!
What would you do differently?:

There were a lack of water stations at the beginning/end of the course. I wish I had carried a bottle of water with me!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit.

Event comments:

This is a beautiful course and a nice size event. This is a great spectator course, good views on the swim, able to see twice on the bike course, and easy to see twice on the run course. Trek Women is now owned by Danskin, and I was given a $20 off coupon after Danskin to do this race. I don't know if I would have wanted to pay $80 for it, but $60 was perfect. Not much extras, but lots of nice energy. There are lots of camp grounds, cabins and RV area. They have a vision of people coming out for the weekend, and I could certainly see bringing the family out and making a camping trip out of it in the future.

Last updated: 2011-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:10 | 880 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 154/344
Performance:
Suit: n/a
Course: Triangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:32 | 13 miles | 17.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/34
Overall: 29/344
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two loops, hill country course. Lots of hills very little flats, but no horrible hills. Some walkers on the last hill on the loop. Great smooth road, very beautiful course through the park.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:34 | 02.7 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/344
Performance:
Course: Loop out to the lake and back again. Nice downhill finish, mostly paved with maybe 1/4 on dirt. Pretty course with shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-03 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: TREK WOMEN TRIATHLON SERIES

2011-10-03 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3709214

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: TREK WOMEN TRIATHLON SERIES

Awesome job Louise!!!!!  Nice race report.  I love that your daughter was so exited for you she got up extra early.  How sweet is that.  I have a six year old too...great age!

You've come a long way in your tri journey.  Your swim and bike splits are great.  Great job on the run.  The run is always the toughest after working hard on the bike.  Sounds like you executed everything perfectly.  AWESOME TRIATHLETE!!!  

2011-10-08 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3709214

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: TREK WOMEN TRIATHLON SERIES
Great RR. Way to hang in there on the run. I think I learn something new every time I have a race, too, re: water on the run.

Bask in your accomplishment!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TREK WOMEN TRIATHLON SERIES Rss Feed