General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Nation - Thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-10-03 2:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Endurance Nation - Thoughts?

I'm thinking of joining TeamEN.  I did a search here and read some information.  Anyone pros/cons I should be aware of?  I do like their philosophy, from what I've read thus far.  I'm open to opinions either way, though.

I've had one on one coaching in the past.  I find I need something in between a pre-designed race plan and one on one coaching. I found that having someone look at my daily Garmin uploads was worthless - and I paid $225 a month to, in part, get an email from my coach that said "looks good, you really hit your workout goal".  I don't need that extra pair of eyes on my daily workouts.  I do them.

I don't mind the pre-designed plans except that they never fit with my racing schedule and I end up tweaking the plan(s) so much it's silly.  They're too rigid.  EN seems to solve this problem, taking one's race schedule into consideration before uploading plan(s). (There's a consult w/one of the coaches after signing up and the coach helps with this I think.)  The $99/mo fee sale is in line with my budget these days, too.

Thoughts?

Andi

2011-10-03 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3709554

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Endurance Nation - Thoughts?
I'm typically anti online coaching but I do think EN is the best online service around for a decent price.  I listen to their podcasts and they seem really committed with a large community so I don't think its all that bad to be honest.
2011-10-03 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
I did there plan but not the coaching - I can say I do know 2 people on there coaching plan and love it - like there idea of training and will be following there plan, changing it to fit my schedule for my next Ironman Texas - 
2011-10-03 2:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-03 2:56 PM

Champion
MA

Do you enjoy training the way they advocate? Hard most of the time both on bike and run? Do you have a power meter?

I suspect I'm quite a bit older than you, I could do the bike workouts but not the run with all the intensity but when healthy prefer to run frequently. I bought a OS plan a few years back.

For the price or a little more than EN plan you can get one on one coaching. Sounds like your past 1 on 1 coach wasn't good fit for you.

2011-10-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3709614

Alpharetta, GA
KathyG - 2011-10-03 3:56 PM

Do you enjoy training the way they advocate? Hard most of the time both on bike and run? Do you have a power meter?

I suspect I'm quite a bit older than you, I could do the bike workouts but not the run with all the intensity but when healthy prefer to run frequently. I bought a OS plan a few years back.

For the price or a little more than EN plan you can get one on one coaching. Sounds like your past 1 on 1 coach wasn't good fit for you.

Thanks Kathy!  Yes, I love to train hard on the bike and run.  My hubby just ordered me a power meter for my birthday, but I have no problem training by HR (which they do offer) if I don't like the PM training.  Jury is still out on that one. lol

Most coaching I have seen in my area is on average double the cost of EN for a coach certified in power - which is more than I'm willing to commit right now.

I liked my last coach, and she was good, but I hired her cause she was local.  Then she moved (I initially didn't mind this) and she took a job that made her very busy.  She got so busy she didn't respond to uploads.  I didn't mind this and even emailed her to tell her she didn't need to respond to every upload as long as she answered my emails and questions and we agreed on that. But it got to the point where she was very scattered and didn't respond to much of what I asked, or she said she'd get back to me but didn't.  So, I stopped using her.

I just don't see the value in one on one coaching for me.  I've had 3 coaches in 12 years - and the last one was the best.  Every coach I worked with I ended up injured - last time 10 days before Alcatraz and I had to drop out of the race, lose my entry fee, lose my plane ticket, get a partial refund from tri bike transport, etc.   All in all I lost about $700 and I got injured doing something I told her I didn't feel comfortable with (track running) but she really wanted me to do it anyway.  I have a hip problem and all that turning is murder on my hip, even switching directions.  I should have said hell no, but you pay your coach and trust them, ya know?

Andi

2011-10-03 4:09 PM

Veteran
Havertown, PA

I joined EN last October to prep for IMLP, which was my first Ironman.  I had a great experience with them and recommend the approach.  And I didn't train with power.   I did the 20 week OS and then about 12 weeks of the IM plan.

I arrived at LP confident in my training and I executed the race per the EN guidelines and beat my super-stretch goal time by 11 minutes (11:49). 

I also really liked the sense of community/team they have developed.  It made training and being at the races more enjoyable (for me) than just going it solo.

Although, if you are not the type of person that likes to participate in online communities (so much of their stuff is driven by the website, blogs, twitter, etc), or you are not looking for that sense of community/team at the races, then you might just want to buy one of their training plans rather than shell out the $99 every month. 

However, if you are looking for feedback on things like changing the plan midway, or hacking the swim program, or what races to build with, or interpreting your power files, etc.  the community is the way to go.  Not only are the coaches very responsive, but there are lots of "Wicked Smart Members" that are very helpful, too.

They do make it very easy to give it a try and see for yourself.  If it's not for you then you just sign off and part ways.  Or you can even just take a break for a couple of months.  There are no contracts or funny business.  They are good guys with solid reputations.

2011-10-03 4:48 PM

Master
Guilford, CT

I've heard good things.  I've listened to their podcasts and read through their site.  I almost used them last year but decided not to.  I'm actually thinking about jumping on the outseason plan after I finish up a marathon build up.  I like and agree with a lot of their philosophies and am as time crunched as the next guy....

note:  I'm also not adverse to some hard running and hard bike intervals.  If you are averse to that then I'd opt for a different plan.

2011-10-03 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3709747

Alpharetta, GA
gergzos - 2011-10-03 5:09 PM

I joined EN last October to prep for IMLP, which was my first Ironman.  I had a great experience with them and recommend the approach.  And I didn't train with power.   I did the 20 week OS and then about 12 weeks of the IM plan.

I arrived at LP confident in my training and I executed the race per the EN guidelines and beat my super-stretch goal time by 11 minutes (11:49). 

I also really liked the sense of community/team they have developed.  It made training and being at the races more enjoyable (for me) than just going it solo.

Although, if you are not the type of person that likes to participate in online communities (so much of their stuff is driven by the website, blogs, twitter, etc), or you are not looking for that sense of community/team at the races, then you might just want to buy one of their training plans rather than shell out the $99 every month. 

However, if you are looking for feedback on things like changing the plan midway, or hacking the swim program, or what races to build with, or interpreting your power files, etc.  the community is the way to go.  Not only are the coaches very responsive, but there are lots of "Wicked Smart Members" that are very helpful, too.

They do make it very easy to give it a try and see for yourself.  If it's not for you then you just sign off and part ways.  Or you can even just take a break for a couple of months.  There are no contracts or funny business.  They are good guys with solid reputations.

That is an awesome time, congrats on your IMLP finish!

The highlighted stuff is exactly what I'm looking for and why I don't want to just buy a plan... I want some flexibility in case I need to make minor changes - even if it's a group of peeps smarter than me helping w/the changes and not the coaches.   EN seems to be right in the middle of just buying a plan or book with plans and customized coaching.  The one thing I did like with my one on one (customized) coaching was that I was on a team of great people and had that comraderie.

Great feedback, thanks!   I think after my race Saturday I'll sign up...

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2011-10-03 8:17 PM
2011-10-03 8:17 PM

Alpharetta, GA

Thanks for the great feedback!

Andi

2011-10-04 7:04 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I'm not familiar with Endurance Nation, but have plenty of experience with coaches--good, bad, and ugly. Just food for thought--I think the key issue is not one-on-one coaching or not, this plan or that plan or not, but feeling comfortable with saying to a coach (or a plan, or even, as I do, a plan that you write yourself), look, this just isn't what's best for me right now. And being able to tell the difference between just being lazy or scared to try something new, and a legitimate concern about something that could lead to injury, overtraining, burnout, or other issues. In the end, it's your body, and you have to make that call, not the coach.

A good coach (or plan) will help you understand WHY you do each workout and what the key goal is, so that if you do need to modify it, you can still get the desired results. For example, if the reason a coach pushed track work was to work on even pacing, then you could measure a straight stretch of road or trail and mark the 100's, use a watch with a pace function, or keep a steady heart rate on longer reps, and still get the same benefit without doing something that's physically not the best for your body. If the idea was simply getting in a given number of repeats at a given intensity, then you could do it anywhere. As long as you feel comfortable modifying things as needed while keeping the main idea, I think you can be successful with any reasonably qualified coach or sensible plan. Best of luck!

2011-10-04 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3710311

Alpharetta, GA
Hot Runner - 2011-10-04 8:04 AM

I'm not familiar with Endurance Nation, but have plenty of experience with coaches--good, bad, and ugly. Just food for thought--I think the key issue is not one-on-one coaching or not, this plan or that plan or not, but feeling comfortable with saying to a coach (or a plan, or even, as I do, a plan that you write yourself), look, this just isn't what's best for me right now. And being able to tell the difference between just being lazy or scared to try something new, and a legitimate concern about something that could lead to injury, overtraining, burnout, or other issues. In the end, it's your body, and you have to make that call, not the coach.

A good coach (or plan) will help you understand WHY you do each workout and what the key goal is, so that if you do need to modify it, you can still get the desired results. For example, if the reason a coach pushed track work was to work on even pacing, then you could measure a straight stretch of road or trail and mark the 100's, use a watch with a pace function, or keep a steady heart rate on longer reps, and still get the same benefit without doing something that's physically not the best for your body. If the idea was simply getting in a given number of repeats at a given intensity, then you could do it anywhere. As long as you feel comfortable modifying things as needed while keeping the main idea, I think you can be successful with any reasonably qualified coach or sensible plan. Best of luck!

The only reason I would need a one on one coach is to protect me from me - from OVERdoing it - not from laziness.  Laziness has never been a problem.  As a matter of fact, I usually have gotten less coaching than I pay for because my coach always can count on me to do what I am supposed to do.  I'm a very boring client.  I don't need accountability to get my workouts done.

No coach has ever "protected me" from injury (even though when I've hired them I have discussed that this is the reason I'm hiring them - no injuries is my #1 priority - and they understood) and I'm simply totally uninterested in communicating with a coach daily or even weekly.  I know my body better than anyone and I won't pay someone to "convince" them to let me train a certain way and/or disregard their instructions - then why even bother with a coach?

In addition to the above, I've done long distance sports for well over 15 years and believe there are very few coaches out there with the experience I would require in my price range anyway.  I would never hire someone, for instance, who did their first tri two years ago (with no experience IMO).

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2011-10-04 7:47 AM
2011-10-04 8:11 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry, didn't mean at all to imply that you were lazy--definitely not! Just meant athletes in general have to make that call. I've faced the same issues every time I think about getting a coach, and have concluded it's just too hard to find what I'm looking for at the price I can afford, esp. someone willing to deal with the complexities of my training situation. 
2011-10-04 9:57 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
My ZOOT team mate Matt Ancona has been with them for a few years and has had great success. It's really a great plan for people with togh time limitations as it focuses so much on quality over quantity.
2011-10-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3710384

Alpharetta, GA
Hot Runner - 2011-10-04 9:11 AMSorry, didn't mean at all to imply that you were lazy--definitely not! Just meant athletes in general have to make that call. I've faced the same issues every time I think about getting a coach, and have concluded it's just too hard to find what I'm looking for at the price I can afford, esp. someone willing to deal with the complexities of my training situation. 
No need to apologize! I am sometimes far too brief. That is one reason peeps get coaches: workout accountability. Nothing wrong w/that, I should have more clearly stated why I like the concept of EN. I like not having to make my schedule and do well with lower volume with speed. (what I've done on my own usually).Andi
2011-10-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3710579

Alpharetta, GA
bryancd - 2011-10-04 10:57 AMMy ZOOT team mate Matt Ancona has been with them for a few years and has had great success. It's really a great plan for people with togh time limitations as it focuses so much on quality over quantity.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

2011-10-04 11:44 AM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

EN has great race day strategies.  The best in the business.

"The race doesn't start until mile 18 of the run"

"Do the bike at your 'shoulda' & not your 'coulda' pace."

Best two bits of advice for long-course.  Ever.

2011-10-04 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3710348

Veteran
Hi Andi,

Thanks for your interest in Endurance Nation. We offer several easy ways for you "try before you buy:"

Go to the Free Resources tab on our homepage and take one of our free virtual seminars. Get a feel for how we coach, and approach training. We'll even kick in a free copy of our Four Keys of Ironman Execution DVD.

We offer a free 5-day trial membership, so you can come inside, see what/how we do what we do for our athletes and ask them yourself about their experiences with us. In a world of $ training plans and $$$$ one-on-one coaching, our "team coaching" approach is very unique and often hard to explain, frankly. It's just easier, and the right thing to do, to just let you come inside and see for yourself if we are good fit for you.

During your trial we'll send you about 4 emails reminding to cancel if you don't want to join and if you forget, I'm happy to refund your money, no questions ask. We absolutely don't want people on the team who don't want to be there.

Anyway, there you go. We can't make it more risk-free than that :-)

2011-10-04 9:20 PM

Veteran
I had been wondering the same thing.  My only goal for the winter is to break a 20 minute 5k.  I'm considering trying the OS plan or just upping my running to 50 mpw.  Two different training philosophies I think.

Edited by mrpetey 2011-10-04 9:20 PM
2011-10-04 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3711707

Regular
MD
I also joined EN about a year ago. One of the things that I really appreciate about Rich and Patrick's approach- they are constantly tweaking their training plans based on feedback and results that they receive from team members. And as athletes themselves, they walk the walk.

In addition to the training plans, there is a ton of great information on the website that will help you meet your goals. You will particularly like EN if you are a fan of using objective data to improve your performance. It's a supportive group but also one that holds each other accountable for following the plan and executing on race day. You will definitely have the opportunity to meet your teammates at your chosen race(s), which is terrific- I had a chance to connect with some great people at IMLOU this year, and it definitely enhanced my race experience.

I would highly recommend taking Rich up on his offer to test drive the site- it will give you a very good sense of what the team is about, and they are very low-pressure on the sales piece.

Good luck!
2011-10-05 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3711603

Alpharetta, GA

Rich Strauss - 2011-10-04 9:10 PM Hi Andi,

Thanks for your interest in Endurance Nation. We offer several easy ways for you "try before you buy:"

Go to the Free Resources tab on our homepage and take one of our free virtual seminars. Get a feel for how we coach, and approach training. We'll even kick in a free copy of our Four Keys of Ironman Execution DVD.

We offer a free 5-day trial membership, so you can come inside, see what/how we do what we do for our athletes and ask them yourself about their experiences with us. In a world of $ training plans and $$$$ one-on-one coaching, our "team coaching" approach is very unique and often hard to explain, frankly. It's just easier, and the right thing to do, to just let you come inside and see for yourself if we are good fit for you.

During your trial we'll send you about 4 emails reminding to cancel if you don't want to join and if you forget, I'm happy to refund your money, no questions ask. We absolutely don't want people on the team who don't want to be there.

Anyway, there you go. We can't make it more risk-free than that :-)

Thanks Rich!  Right now I'm getting the Outseason Seminar.  On Monday I plan to sign up for the 5 day trial.  Looking forward to it!

Andi

2011-10-09 10:28 AM

Regular
United States
Has anyone tried the programs only (specifically half IM). I have been following these guys for the past three years, and have seriously benefited from their race execution plan IMFL 09 and IMWI 11. I yet to purchase a plan, but am seriously considering their out season and half IM plans to prepare for Rev3 - Dells next year.
2011-10-09 11:53 AM

Master

I used their plan, and joined the "team" last year in preparation from IM Cozumel.

The plans were great. I got some decent feedback before starting my plan, as I also had the Halfmax Championships on my shedule, and they made some good reccomendations about whether to purchase the IM or HIM plan.

Their execution guides and information in the "in the house" blogs and message boards can be really useful.

My only issue is that on one of the questions I asked, I was told to go and read the guide again. For $99 a month, I was not expecting lots of one on one attention, however as a paying member I was less than pleased to be told to "RTFM" (Read the F*&king Manual).

One other comment, there is an expectation that you will put in the mental effort to figure some things out. They are giving your the guidelines and the plans, but also expecting you to be a "self-coached" athlete. I really liked this perspective, and the fact that the community was very supportive. However, if you are looking for more direct coaching, that wasn't what I found the membership to be.

All in all, I recommend their products.

Edited by eliwashere 2011-10-09 11:55 AM
2012-07-24 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3716907

Fort Worth
eliwashere - 2011-10-09 11:53 AM

I used their plan, and joined the "team" last year in preparation from IM Cozumel.

The plans were great. I got some decent feedback before starting my plan, as I also had the Halfmax Championships on my shedule, and they made some good reccomendations about whether to purchase the IM or HIM plan.

Their execution guides and information in the "in the house" blogs and message boards can be really useful.

My only issue is that on one of the questions I asked, I was told to go and read the guide again. For $99 a month, I was not expecting lots of one on one attention, however as a paying member I was less than pleased to be told to "RTFM" (Read the F*&king Manual).

One other comment, there is an expectation that you will put in the mental effort to figure some things out. They are giving your the guidelines and the plans, but also expecting you to be a "self-coached" athlete. I really liked this perspective, and the fact that the community was very supportive. However, if you are looking for more direct coaching, that wasn't what I found the membership to be.

All in all, I recommend their products.

Great feedback, I've been looking for good reviews and feedback on Endurance Nation that is somewhat recent.  Sounds like a good amount of value and information, my issue is the $99 a month to be self-coached.  Thanks!

2012-09-19 10:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

Just reading through some old posts regarding Endurance Nation...perhaps leaning toward signing up.  I do like their philosophy.  I do have a question...it seems like I have two options there:

1. Purchase plan (or plans).  Flat fee...done.  I'm looking at an Out of Season Plan and an IM plan.

2. $99/month.  If I do this...I have access to ALL the plans? 

Is that correct?

I'm 43 weeks away from IMLP (on Oct. 1st)...seems like it would be perfect to do 4 weeks pre-season, 14 weeks out of season, 8 weeks focus/transition, and 20 weeks general/race prep.  I've signed up for the free trial, which starts Oct. 1st.  Any thoughts?  Other things I should be considering?  Did OP end up going EN route?  What was your experience?

Thank!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Nation - Thoughts? Rss Feed  

of 2