FS Series
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 41s
Overall Rank = 23/117
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a friend's on the lake, woke up about 530, had a Red Bull and 2 energy bars, head over to the site around 620 on the boat. The ride over, our host who was also racing mentioned this is how it is going to feel on the bike with the wind, only we'll be wet. I was not looking forward to that.
Event warmup:

Ran about 3/4 mile and biked about 2 or so (and forgot to put the bike in the low gear I wanted). Primarily concerned with bringing body temp up so I wouldn't be totally miserable when I removed my warmup clothes.
Swim
  • 11m 33s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt faster than this, actually really surprised at the time. Wife said I was in front of the first pack and the data backs that up. One side of goggles was trying to fill with water, and after I dealt with that all was good. This was the first race I felt confident enough to mix it up in the pack and not swim on the fringes. Was kind of fun passing people right beside you instead of way off in the distance.
What would you do differently?:

I need to spend some time getting used to swimming with others, every time someone would touch me it would either throw off my rhythm or I would change directions to avoid them all together and end up pointing the wrong way.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

I like this one because the swim ends right at transition, so no long run in makes for quick times.

Nothing
Bike
  • 48m 29s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

First part was pretty hilly, and not knowing the course I would brake quite a bit when nearing turns (on the way out, coming back in I just bombed the corners, more on that in a bit). Once on the open road, I settled into a good pace, but wasn't catching anyone. As I neared the turnaround, I started counting the guys going the other way. This is when I realized I wasn't that far back in the pack. I increased the effort level a bit and picked off 2 more people on the ride back in. In the neighborhood, as I mentioned, I hit the turns with a little more confidence. Well, the last turn before going up was a little sharper than I remember, then the volunteer is yelling at me to keep to the left of the cones because runners were coming down. well, upon surveying the situation, there was no way I was going to make inside the cone, so I turned to go around the outside and shot straight across the road into the dirt. Maintained upright posture and was able to pedal out and back up the hill. Luckily there were not too many runners and the one guy close to me was understanding.

Go a little harder earlier on and trust my training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Was a little tough to ride with my feet out and on top of the shoes, because I couldn't feel them. Lost a lot of speed coming in to transition because of this. Also missed my hat twice when I bent over to get it, reached for it and my hands just slipped.

Maybe not grab the hat on a cool race such as this (use it for sweat control).
Run
  • 24m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run, was passed by two guys early on, but their pace was no where near what I am capable of so I wasn't going to try and catch them. Tried to find another gear, but my numb feet were not cooperating so I settled into a moderately hard pace since I really wanted to push the run on this race. As my body warmed up, was able to pick up the pace a bit and started catching someone in front of me (I knew he started in the wave behind me, and was therefore 5 mins ahead, but it was someone to aim at). Was not able to close the gap, so I just finished out strong and enjoyed the run. When I saw my time, I knew I had a fast run, and this was almost a PR.

nothing, felt fine
Post race
Warm down:

My friend that I stayed with usually has her husband there to run the last mile or so with her, but he had to work, so I ran back out on the course to find her and run her in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold air

Event comments:

Good guys put on a good event.

Last updated: 2011-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:33 | 547 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 44/117
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: