United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 38m 56s
Overall Rank = 2097/3300
Age Group = Male 44-49
Age Group Rank = 187/234
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:20. Bagel PB, Gatorade + Acclerade. Shuttle to T1. Wish I had more to talk about. I felt more relaxed this time vs the last 2 years. I went on Friday and Stayed till Monday
Event warmup:

Not much, just walked around and made sure the transition setup was all good to go.
Swim
  • 34m 51s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

In the water and off. Swam about as expected. Not to hard but I stayed right of most folks who stayed to the middle left to catch more current. Nice current and the water felt great. Only had one issue with a swimmer using a snorkle zig zagging all over me. Finally went by him.
What would you do differently?:

I need to be a better swimmer. More time in water.
Transition 1
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

I ran out of the water and all the way, wetsuit stripper, then T1, and off.

I felt good about running all the way this time. Faster of course.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Out on bike and good speed, climbed hills well, kept the pace comfortable, passed many folks but got passed by some really strong, and younger bikers. Need to work on HR management for fule in the tank on the run. I felt like I may have pushed a bit but was very comfortable.

More biking, more hill work. I want to attack the hills not just climb them. Manage HR. Felt strong the whole time and could have gone over 20+ avg if I didn't have to run afterwards.
Transition 2
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

Off the bike and ran well to T2. Was slowed when I had to wipe my sunglasses 3 times to clean them from all the moisture. Laced shoes, maybe add speedlaces but I've used them and don't care for them. Made sure I had gels and I was off.

Better time management in T2, I should have been out in < 3 minutes as fast as I ran in there. Then I just got lost in the maze of all the stuff to leave or take.....better planning. I thought I had planned well but when you have a taste for different items mid stream things change mid race sometimes.
Run
  • 2h 58m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, here we go. 1st mile went great. Legs felt typical after a long ride but endurance was not a factor. 1st table I grabbed a drink, walked 30 seconds and was off. Then at mile 2 I looked for the Aid Station and it not being there messed with my mind. I assumed then it was every 1.2 miles like 2009. But no, it ended up being 1.7 miles from the 1st Aid Station. It was 90+ and I nneded hydration. My foot started hurting after I got a drink and unfortunately from there it was a run walk the rest of the 10 miles which absolutely sucked. I worked so hard this summer in all those hot lunch runs. I knew though the left foot might act up and it did with a vengance. It must have something to do with biking because it does hurt on long runs but not that bad. I ran when I could, limped when I had to, and walked as necessary.

This is my 3rd year in this sport, even running, so I am still learning as I go. I have done the full and 5 70.3's so now it's a matter of putting it all together and managing a pure out and out fast time with no walking at the end but all that depends on getting the plantar fasciitis cleared up. The pain is agonizing sometimes so it just has to heal.
Post race
Warm down:

I was tired. Water, pizza. For some reason I wanted fried chicken but didn't go get any! I just went to the room, showered, relaxed, and ended up ap Hooters that evening, so not exactly the fried chicken I was thinking of but it sufficed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My L foot! Managing HR.

Event comments:

1. My 3rd straight year so I love the venue.
2. Check in was well organized this year vs. last year.
3. Swim and Bike were great. The drink stations should be 1 mile apart on the run course due to the heat and humidity in the South in September. The second station was 1.75 miles from the 1st one on the run per my Garmin and it was at 13.1 when I finished so I'd say it was right.
4. Overall, well orgainzed and I simply the venue and the town of Augusta. Thanks to the Army for helping out!!
5. I plan to go back next year as a warm up to IMFL.

Last updated: 2011-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:51 | 2143 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 220/234
Overall: 2409/3300
Performance: Average
Suit: XTERRA FULL
Course: Point to Point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:56:31 | 56 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 160/234
Overall: 1642/3300
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out to SC, some technical turns, hills and slight rollers, 1450 ft climbing mostly in the middle section, miles 17 through 48.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:58:25 | 13.1 miles | 13m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 187/234
Overall: 2097/3300
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 Loop S Course through Downtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-03 3:33 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2011-11-12 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3709678

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: RE: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta

did I know you did this race again this year?!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed