Cooperstown, New York
United States
ATC Endurance, LLC
Total Time = 2h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Full Disclosure: I did not race - but volunteered. It was the first year, I had not done a triathlon yet, so wanted to get a feel for the situation. I was staying with my parents nearby, so jetted over on race day to see the show. Take this race report as things I picked up, that might help future racers.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Wetsuit Mandatory. One guy hopped in sans wetsuit, and gave a valuable lesson in hypothermia hyperventilation at the start line. They shortened the course to "400" meters, but I bet it was shorter. People were getting out the water and were COLD. If you are ready for this, it can be a lot of fun and everyone is on the same course so it's all good. If you are not, this is dangerous.

the lake is beautiful, quite clean, and a great spot.
What would you do differently?:

insulated swim cap - be ready for COLD WATER. know how to acclimate by splashing on your face and neck before jumping in, and be prepared.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

when you hop out of the COLD water, you are greeted by 10feet of flat, then 20feet straight up a slippery hill. a steep and slippery hill. grass transition area. your hands will be cold.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 11.6 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

be prepared for the dismount line. You ride up to the Otesaga, take a hard right, and it is RIGHT THERE. the men's winner executed perfectly, took the turn and dismounted almost while turning. It was impressively executed. But then so many other people were just unprepared for the bottleneck at the line. it appears almost blind, so be ready.

And please people, don't pull up to the line. stop in the middle, then proceed to unclip and swimg leg over bike. at least have the decency to get out of the way for the people behind you.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

see bike course comments. Actually saw one guy ride through the line, all the way to his run gear. by the grace of god we go. I'm sure he was not penalized, this race is just for fun.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

long downhill finish, then hard right to finish line in back of Otesaga. If you haven't made a move with 400M left, it may be too late to escape that leech on your heels.

and on the last turn, into the parking lot - there is a cone. most racers, including the winner, stayed inside the cone which I thought was cutting off course, but a few honorable souls stayed outside the cone. Props to those people. it was unclear, but when in doubt...
Post race
Event comments:

I believe 2011 was the first year. Use this race as a speed day, or tune-up. or a chance to take the family to upstate NY and sneak in a race in a little town. The organizers were good guys, they were trying and next year will be smoother. This is not Kona, and that's fine. It's a beautiful May day in NY, enjoy it. Just don't drive up from NYC thinking you are semi-pro and demand a race where you can be a jerk. stay downstate if you are going to be like that.

Last updated: 2011-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: MANDATORY
Course: This was not a legal race - the water temp was at least 2 degrees too low. (is 55 the limit?) I talked with the Hartwick swim coach, and he said the top layer was close to legal, but about 2 feet down it was like 40 degrees F. swim exit was in the muck, but people insisted on standing up too early. swim to the shore.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 11.6 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: I think portions of the course were a bit rough - you might not want to take your best wheels on this one.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: I think they changed the course on race day morning. this is a tiny comment on the whole thing. It was the first year, and hey, this isn't Ironman LP or anything, but bring an open mind and bit of patience in 2012.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes