Set Up Events
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 46s
Overall Rank = 324/454
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/60
Pre-race routine:

I camped at the nearby state park and woke up to a cold, light rain landing on my head. It was 48 degrees and I wasn't really feeling it. A nice thing was that this race has a late start, so didn't get up until 6. Picked up a gross, processed danish and coffee from the only place on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Just stretched a little and worried about the swim. This was twice the swim distance of any of the sprints I've done so far.
Swim
  • 38m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went slow the whole time. The whole reason I traveled 7hrs to Virginia for a late season race was to give myself time to work on my swimming and I'm glad i waited. Master's swimming a couple times per week has helped build my confidence so once I started swimming, there was no point where I wondered whether I would finish. This was also by far the most people I've swam with. My local races both had less than 150 swimmers and there was plenty of room for everyone. There was a lot more chop than I was ready for caused by all of us, and more collision than I was used to. After the first turn buoy, I tried to speed it up, but each time I did, cramps came on to left calf and foot, so settled in to a long slow swim. Since I swim slowly, I ended up with packs of breast strokers, so got kicked a lot, but nothing tragic.
What would you do differently?:

Work on stroke and strength. I know my stroke is inefficient and will get some help with that in the coming weeks at Masters, but I think strengh and muscular endurance is also lacking. After the race I realized that my chest and lats were sore and fatigued. 38 minutes of swimming shouldn't be hurting so much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

Nothing much to say, but I should have tried my new garmin more than once before trying to use it in a race. Hit the wrong button, so no split data except for the run. looked at the map it traced from my swim cap later though, and its pretty cool. I think I'm going to like this toy.

Learn to mount bike with shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike performance was pretty good for me, but I wasnt very proactive in gear changes, again. It was a fast time for me, but not because of any great performance. It was just a flatter course than I've ever ridden. Traffic control was good at the turns but it was a little awkward in between. The road is kind of narrow, so cars had hard times passing at times. I spent some unpleasant time behind a pickup with an exhaust problem that couldnt pass the riders in front of me till the next turn.

Push a little harder. stop saving for the run so much.
Transition 2
  • 03m 31s
Run
  • 49m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't really like this run course. I dont mind out and back and i dont mind multiple laps, but dont like them together (out and back once or multiple loops would suit me fine). The course was kind of narrow to handle runners going both ways so passing was awkward, sometimes I'd have to go on a steep grassy incline to pass. Also, the tight quarters doesnt stop some guys from running 3 abreast. Started the run with my shins screaming at me, but this worked itself out. I couldnt seem to push the speed much faster than my last half marathon pace for very long, but felt fine overall. On the very bright side, the weather was perfect. Overcast and cool.

Think about how I want to finish races, all-out pain or finish clean-looking. I burned a guy by 2 seconds because he passed me in the corridor heading to the finish and instinct took over. Before he came charging by, I had fallen in behind the guy who came out of the woods right before me, knowing I could pass two people before the finish line. Generally, I don't care. What's 10 seconds in a 3 hr race, and what's 1 or two spots for a MOP/BOPer? But more than I don't like passing at the end, It seems I don't like getting passed at the finish. So by outrunning the guy who had the ending burst of energy, I also passed the steady guy I had fallen in behind previously. I'll give it some thought on winter runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Got in a pretty long line for some food then got on the road as soon as they opened the tranistion. I had a long ride home ahead of me. Along the way, chatted with a couple of friendly triathletes. it was a good crowd.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training, experience.

Event comments:

I would rate the race a 3.5 if that was an option. Check-in generated very long lines and I wasnt crazy about the run course. But all the bases seemed to be covered and safety seemed to be well addressed. Because of the long drive, I probably won't race it again, but would if I was closer. I LOVED the flat bike course.

Last updated: 2011-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:11 | 1640 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/60
Overall: 345/454
Performance: Average
Suit: Neosport Full
Course: Triangle ending on other side of small peninsula
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:51 | 24.85 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/60
Overall: 366/454
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 12 mile loops of flat to rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/60
Overall: 179/454
Course: Out and back twice with a short trail run in between.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes