General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-04 12:35 PM

Veteran
Richmond, KY
Subject: Calf Injury
I'm now experiencing my third or fourth recurrence of a calf injury. I've experienced it in both legs previously, although this time it's just one. It starts a few miles into a run and feels sort of like a cramp, then it quickly turns to a sharp pain. Once it happens I have to stop and walk home and then it takes several days before I can run again. This latest incident happened 4 miles into a 5 mile run (my weekly average over the last 8 weeks is 44 miles) and now I'm just frustrated. I ran a couple marathons in '05 and '06, then eased up for a period and for the last 2+ years I've been trying to get ready for another and every time I think I'm ready to commit, this happens.

I've had an MRI and ultrasound to check for vascular issues and they've found nothing abnormal. My Dr. has mentioned compartment syndrome before and I think it is probably time to get tested for that as well. Has anyone went through this? If you have and had surgery for CS, what was recovery like? I would love to hear that I'll be able to run the marathon that I want too at the end of April.

Thanks for any input.

2011-10-05 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3710917

User image

Expert
South Florida
Subject: RE: Calf Injury

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Running/Mad_calf_disease_926.html

Happened to me this spring. It ended up taking 3 weeks of no running to heal completely.

2011-10-05 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC

I had surgery for Compartment Syndrome in 2007.  All 4 compartments on both legs.  I had one leg done just before Christmas and the other leg done just after Christmas.  I ran a marathon in April. 

I don't know if I would have rushed my recovery to run a marthon so quickly after the surgeries if the marathon wasn't the Boston Marathon though.  But there was no way I was going to miss that marathon,  if I could help it.  My training was shorter than it should have been, obviously.  And my Boston Marathon time was one of my slowest marathon times.  But I was able to recovery from the surgeries quickly and get back to training.  I am not sure everyone's experience is the same though.

2011-10-05 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
i have had an injury similar to this..

I just rested, massaged, and stretched it constantly.. i also use the heating pad a lot.

once i started to feel alittle bit, i started spinning on a bike, then eased back in to running.. the entire process took about a 3 to 4 weeks..

for me, i narrowed it down to strength training.. (lack of).. and a few other things that have fell by the waist side on my behalf.. i have the maintenance season to figure out the maddness..

good luck..

take it easy, you will be back before you know it.
2011-10-05 12:04 PM

Veteran
I seem to be experiencing something similar, and still have no answers as to the cause.  I have been battling a mysterious calf injury since the end of May.  I originally was diagnosed with tendonitis in the ankle and the outside of my leg, so I went to PT.  After the tendonitis symptoms subsided my calf felt better.  As soon as I started running again, following the plan my PT gave me, my calf started to hurt and swell again.  I lay off and after about a week my calf would feel fine, so I would ease back into running again.  Then my calf acts up again.  I have had leg x rays and an MRI all of which were normal.  The Orthopedic Surgeon is now sending me for a post exercise MRI to see if it shows anything different.   She is now looking for a muscle hernia, and compartmental syndrome.  If she finds no evidence of either one of those then she will look at possibly a pinched nerve in my back.  I have a 1/2 marathon in April that i hope to be able to run.
2011-10-05 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6071

Here is another article.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Injury Rss Feed