General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saving My Legs Strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-05 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Saving My Legs Strategy

short but good article in the USA Tri email letter....Effective Tri Swimming

I wanted to get a thread going on the idea of "I kick very littleor not at all on the swim to save my legs." strategy.  Here is a quick read section of the article:

===
I often read in magazines or overhear beginners strategizing about  how to improve in the water. One of the most common tips I hear people sharing is, “Don’t kick too much, save your legs for the bike and run.”  Good advice, right? This comment fully acknowledges the demands of the  bike and the run and suggests a pacing strategy so that your legs are not too worn out by the time you are running. So, yes, actually this is good advice!

But here’s the rub — take a beginner that has average body balance at best, tell him or her to “save your legs,” and what you get most of the time is awful positioning in the water.  In order to receive a benefit from a reduction in kicking in the swim portion of a triathlon, you must  already have near perfect balance. And please note that when I say “reduction,” I mean a lessening of the intensity of the kick, not necessarily the amplitude or the continuous nature of the kick.
===

I have this in conversation with people all the time.  I normally just shrugg and say "thats one way to do it."  Like any strategy, you have to have all the skills required to make the strategy work.  The "no kick" strategy can be counter productive.  If you have bad body position, you can actually end up working harder and not realize you are being counter productive.  Worse, if you actually don't kick, you WILL be counter productive.  There is nothing wrong with the "save the legs"strategy, but make sure you do the drills and have right mechanics to support the idea. 

Since I know many people use this strategy, I would love to hear any counter or commentary on the idea.      

2011-10-05 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3711900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Saving My Legs Strategy

So cap, I don't know if I have an argument one way or the other.  I kick, but it's just not for power.  I learned very early that my kick is virtually useless in my speed and just wears me out too fast.  So over time, I learned to slow it down and use it to force my body rotation and keep the hips high, oddly enough.   

I never really thought of it or articulated it as saving my legs for the bike and run.  I'd equate it to not kicking hard to save my Heartrate from spiking.   I logically don't see how kicking hard or easy in the swim has any impact on your legs. 

2011-10-05 7:37 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Not sure I have anything to add on the matter bec everyone knows I suck at swimming but I still manage to do decent overall. For you cappy, you could kick or not kick and still swim fast, but your problem is the run. Worry about the swim less and run more, mate. I want you trying to hold me off on race day 2012. That will bring the best out in me!
2011-10-05 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3711934

User image

Veteran

Wetsuits probably make it easier to keep the body position close to balanced when trying the "kick less" strategy.  I do most of my training without my wetsuit.  Then I train with it for the last few weeks before taper.  When I first start training with it, I really notice the difference - riding higher in the water, legs feeling buoyant, etc.

I think the strategy probably has some merit, but for "Jane MOP" or "Joe BOP" they must train to learn a "kick less" swim technique, with guidance from a coach, for it to be effective.  Not "just try it" on race day.

Like anything, train the way you race, race the way you've trained.  My $0.02.

2011-10-05 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3711934

User image

Expert

It's not just "saving the legs".  Strong kicking expends tons of energy and requires more oxygen and can quickly turn your legs to jello.  I tone down my kick (a lot).  I can't imagine not kicking at all.  If your lower body sinks some and you're dragging it through the water, you're definitely not doing yourself any favors.

To be honest, I can't imagine many triathletes being able to pull off no kicking without their lower half sinking and then they'll end up wasting energy trying to compensate for it.  "Gentle" kicking is the way to go in my opinion....consider it a nice, easy warm up of your legs for the rest of the race.

2011-10-05 7:54 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
I did some test swim/bike bricks about two years ago using different amounts of kicking.  For me it's not even close.  I need to gently kick to keep my effort low.  Kicking hard caused more difficult bikes.

2011-10-05 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
The point was not kicking hard vs. easy/not at all.   Very few people (i.e. Andy Potts) can do a long course swim with a strong kick.  The point is many people employee the strategy without thinking about the impact to form.  McQ posted above the consideration of kick related to form.  He got the connection.   I would like to get people thinking about yes I do this approach, but need to thinking about how to do it right.  Otherwise, they are not getting the perceived benefit and need to add some drills to work on form.   

There are ways to take back minute in the swim without additional volume or working harder.  Better mechanics can be a simple modification that pays off huge. 

Phat - Just like you imparted running wisdom on me, I am getting people to think about swimming.  Believe me, I am run focused this off season!
2011-10-06 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
for me, kicking is how I keep the sharks away....
2011-10-06 2:29 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
The main issue is that most AG athletes don't spend enough time in the water to become good swimmers. The swim affects the rest of your race whether you kick or don't kick, the less efficent your stroke is the more energy you are burning.

If you ever want to get to a point where you are consistantly in contention for podium spots or just beating your previous PR you have to invest some time in learning proper swim technique and ACTUALLY TRAINING TO SWIM!!!!!

2011-10-06 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3712115

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
thecaptin - 2011-10-05 10:01 AM
There are ways to take back minute in the swim without additional volume or working harder.  Better mechanics can be a simple modification that pays off huge. 

So true.  I did a lot of technique work this summer and it had a big impact. 

Now for the question:  How much should I kick?
2011-10-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3714051

User image

Elite
SE

Sorry, but I want to just go along with this thread but I have a hard time. Rocketman and I have to agree to disagree on this point to some extent. You don't need to swim well to podium but it sure as heck helps. I am a prime example. Even with the slowest swim splits I am near or on podium in most local events AG or clydes.

Regionally its tougher and nationally even tougher to pull it off without balance but most BT'ers are locals. In fact you have virtually no chance once you get away from the local short course to get on the podium without good balance. So to some extent I agree with them.

What I think has been under-stated is that you do need to bike and run well. They are way more time intensive at every distance of tri.

Thus, its important that even on these single sport threads there is a proper context. Invest time on stroke development but do not do it to the detriment of the other two sports. Heavy on bike and run, judicious on swim with an emphasis on stroke work early in development is my point .

Kick, gentle kick, or no kick is not really a big deal if you are already efficient/competitive with swimming I suspect. However, please resume, now that I got that off my chest.

2011-10-06 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

I don't even think about kicking.  I do kick drills etc and work to get a good body position and I let the kick fall where it may.  I would guess I'm somewhere around a 2-3 beat kick but don't have a strong kick like others do.  I just want to make sure my hips and feet stay up in the water.

My cardio runs out long before my legs to.  I'll worry about kicking too much when the legs go first one day .. lol

2011-10-06 5:31 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Over the course of 13 years my kick has gone from virtually my only means of forward propulsion in the water to merely a flutter that is used soley for the purpose of maintaining good body position in the water and nothing more... well, occasionally I use it to let the drafter (which is hilarious cause I'm an MOP swimmer) know that they are too close.

Andi

Edited by Anditrigirl 2011-10-06 5:35 PM
2011-10-06 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3714123

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Now for the question:  How much should I kick?

More than you think!  IMO it should be at least 4 beat, but I use a 6 beat.  It should be a kick that is both UP AND DOWN (think about that statement next time you are swimming and I bet you only kick down).  It should not be a all in or deep kick.  A medium strong consistent kick.  In order to learn it and do it, you have to work kicking sets into your WOs.  I could write volumes on the new focus by upper level pool swimmers on importance of kick and kick sets.   You do not become good at kicking by just kicking during you swimming sets.  It take focus and work.  Once you get it, you can gain speed, not burn the legs, hold good form for better stroke, etc.  Lots of pay off. 

2011-10-07 4:24 AM
in reply to: #3714529

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
thecaptin - 2011-10-07 12:27 AM
IMO it should be at least 4 beat, but I use a 6 beat.

4/6 beats per what?

It should be a kick that is both UP AND DOWN (think about that statement next time you are swimming and I bet you only kick down).

You bet correctly.  I've never thought about the up part.  That is a good point.
2011-10-07 2:46 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Phat you are correct in that you and I will agree to disagree about the swim and the significance of swim training. My point in this entire argument is that if you spend the time to learn how to swim correctly you can make significant gains in a short period of time. Regarding the kick or no kick argument-it's hard to swim using less effort if you are already swimming poorly. The majority of newer/MOP athletes have poor body position in the water and are dropping their hips to begin with, by not kicking they are making a bad situation even worse.

ETA: I use a 4 beat kick when I swim.  

Edited by Rocket Man 2011-10-07 2:46 PM

2011-10-10 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3714596

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

brown_dog_us - 2011-10-07 5:24 AM
thecaptin - 2011-10-07 12:27 AM
IMO it should be at least 4 beat, but I use a 6 beat.

4/6 beats per what?

per stroke - 6 beat kick

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saving My Legs Strategy Rss Feed