General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Next Season Dilema Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-05 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
Subject: Next Season Dilema

I'm looking for some thoughts. My goal for next season is to complete my first HIM. I want to also do 2 or 3 olys and a half dozen sprints. What Im fighting with since i want to get registered for the longer races now is am i better of training hard before the season and starting with the HIM and then the shorter races or should i do the HIM mid or late season next year kind of as a build up?

Originally I had thought that doing it at the end of the season would be best but after watching the Pocono HIM on Sunday I'm less sure. I have begun to think i would be better off doing the HIM as my first race of the year. I know i want to try to get into NYC again but that's the only one that I'm set on since ESCAPE didn't work out. I have found a few HIM distance races in the north east early next year what do you all think?

2011-10-05 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3712911

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Next Season Dilema
I did my first at the end of the year but this is FL.  If you feel you can get in the quality work over the winter then an earlier HIM might be the ticket.  The fitness from doing it early will carry over to good races later in the year.  Syracuse 70.3 is moving to 3rd week in June next year, just about time for the bad weather to depart and good weather to hit!  I grew up there and vacation in CNY every year around that time frame, something I'm contemplating.
2011-10-05 6:59 PM

User image

Pro
I train around the weather and available light.  I find fall is a great time of year for longer tris, and then move into running/marathon training over the winter.  I'll get up in the cold and dark to run... but cycling in the cold and dark just sux.
2011-10-06 2:29 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

I'm not sure if this answers your question and it is just my n=1 experience but I did my 1st HIM in May, my first IM in August and this past Saturday I beat my time in an Oly from last year by over 18 minutes.

2011-10-06 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3714052

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I assume everyone is different but in my experience, I did an early season HIM one year and followed it up with a late season IM (my first) and felt fine.

HOWEVER, the years I did an early season IM, I found I was burned out after the hard winter and race, and it sort of ruined the rest of my summer season due to burnout.

2011-10-06 3:46 PM

I went through the same dilemma decided im doing HIM Syracuse for my first as well and think the training all winter and spring for it will pay off for the shorter oly/sprint distance races for the rest of the season. I am also going to do the miami oly before hand. Was considering Poconos but the weather is hit or miss decided im doing muskoka instead.

2011-10-07 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
Well i pulled the trigger this morning and signed up for the Patriot Half Up in MA it is early, June 16 but with the races i want to run it looks like my best bet. I read reviews of the race on BT and it looks like a lot of people say its a great race. It was between this and Mooseman but that was a lot farther away. I think the smaller field for a non IM branded race will be beneficial to me. Now I'm planning on getting a  BT gold membership and working my off! Any advice is welcome and encouraged!
2011-10-07 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

I think that's a good choice.  I did my first HIM in April last year as my first race of the season. I didn't even train for it. The first one usually is not an all out race effort since you're wanting to finish (did mine in 5:43 very comfortably - ran about 1 1/2 minutes slower than my Half-Marathon pace) and training for it provided me with a good base for the rest of the season.

I'm planning on doing the same next year and will start of my season with my 2nd HIM.  I do sprints in the middle of the season and then cap it off with an Oly.

2011-10-10 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3715245

User image

Regular
Winchester, MA

jeeper9281 - 2011-10-07 1:14 PM Well i pulled the trigger this morning and signed up for the Patriot Half Up in MA it is early, June 16 but with the races i want to run it looks like my best bet. I read reviews of the race on BT and it looks like a lot of people say its a great race. It was between this and Mooseman but that was a lot farther away. I think the smaller field for a non IM branded race will be beneficial to me. Now I'm planning on getting a  BT gold membership and working my off! Any advice is welcome and encouraged!

FWIW, I did this race for my first HIM, and after a bit of rest after the race, continued to have a great remainder of the season - no issues with burnout or anything. 

And it's a great course - you'll enjoy it! Good luck!!!

2011-10-10 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3715245

User image

Master
Houston

jeeper9281 - 2011-10-07 12:14 PM Well i pulled the trigger this morning and signed up for the Patriot Half Up in MA it is early, June 16 but with the races i want to run it looks like my best bet. I read reviews of the race on BT and it looks like a lot of people say its a great race. It was between this and Mooseman but that was a lot farther away. I think the smaller field for a non IM branded race will be beneficial to me. Now I'm planning on getting a  BT gold membership and working my off! Any advice is welcome and encouraged!

June?  I thought you said early?

Just kidding, I'm signed up for my first HIM on April Fools Day, but I live in TX.

Should make for an interesting second season.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Next Season Dilema Rss Feed