Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Would you pay the B of A $5 debit card fee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-10-07 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3715225

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Would you pay the B of A $5 debit card fee
jldicarlo - 2011-10-07 10:04 AM
chichitao - 2011-10-07 11:58 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-10-06 8:01 PM

We are with B of A and I am looking to move but honestly have no idea where to go. How does one join a credit union? The ones in my area seem to be dedicated to a specific job/employer like a teachers credit union etc.  My Mom belongs to one but it is for hospital workers.

Credit Unions in the US are not-for-profit and are owned by the customers who elect board members to oversee the operations (here is a good explanation of the structure of CUs).  The goal of CUs is not to make a profit but to provide the best service and rates and using what profits they make to keep the rates low and charge as little fees as possible.  Most CUs I know have much more competitive rates than national banks.

Yes, you have to be part of a specific group of people to become a member.  However, some of them are fairly open and will include family members.  You might check with your moms CU and see if they would accept you based on her working there. 

My credit union has all the perks of any other bank.  Savings accounts, free checking, free atm, free debit cards, CDs, free online banking, etc.

Switching to a CU is the best way to tell these big banks to get their act together.

Just be sure to get one that is FDIC insured.  When I was a kid there was a HUGE issue with this in RI...a TON of people lost their money because they had it in CU's that were not FDIC insured....

I don't believe credit unions are ever backed by the FDIC.  They have their own version of the FDIC called the NCUA and backed by the Government.

Edited by SGriepsma 2011-10-07 12:28 PM

2011-10-07 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3715271

User image

Elite
SGriepsma - 2011-10-07 1:26 PM

We are with B of A and I am looking to move but honestly have no idea where to go. How does one join a credit union? The ones in my area seem to be dedicated to a specific job/employer like a teachers credit union etc.  My Mom belongs to one but it is for hospital workers.

Credit Unions in the US are not-for-profit and are owned by the customers who elect board members to oversee the operations (here is a good explanation of the structure of CUs).  The goal of CUs is not to make a profit but to provide the best service and rates and using what profits they make to keep the rates low and charge as little fees as possible.  Most CUs I know have much more competitive rates than national banks.

Yes, you have to be part of a specific group of people to become a member.  However, some of them are fairly open and will include family members.  You might check with your moms CU and see if they would accept you based on her working there. 

My credit union has all the perks of any other bank.  Savings accounts, free checking, free atm, free debit cards, CDs, free online banking, etc.

Switching to a CU is the best way to tell these big banks to get their act together.

Just be sure to get one that is FDIC insured.  When I was a kid there was a HUGE issue with this in RI...a TON of people lost their money because they had it in CU's that were not FDIC insured....

I don't believe credit unions are ever backed by the FDIC.  They have their own version of the FDIC

Federal credit unions are members of NCUA which insures deposits.  Some state chartered CU's are members, of NCUA, some are not.

See

www.ncua.gov

2011-10-07 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3715201

User image

Master
Denver

DanielG - 2011-10-07 10:55 AM Bank of America's "oh by the way" fees are the primary reason I switched to USAA for banking as well as insurance. I'm happy with them and they've not let me down once in 20 years.

Don't mena to hijack but I've been looking at switching to USAA for my banking.  But when I looked at some reviews online a lot of them were terrible saying that service has really declined over the last year or two.  Just wondering how you like them compared to say a regular bank (since USAA is basically online only)?  It sounds like you haven't had the same experience?  Would you recommend them?

2011-10-07 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3715296

User image

drewb8 - 2011-10-07 1:40 PM

DanielG - 2011-10-07 10:55 AM Bank of America's "oh by the way" fees are the primary reason I switched to USAA for banking as well as insurance. I'm happy with them and they've not let me down once in 20 years.

Don't mena to hijack but I've been looking at switching to USAA for my banking.  But when I looked at some reviews online a lot of them were terrible saying that service has really declined over the last year or two.  Just wondering how you like them compared to say a regular bank (since USAA is basically online only)?  It sounds like you haven't had the same experience?  Would you recommend them?

I would recommend, and have recommended, them in a NY minute. I've been with them as I said, for 20 years and have not had a single issue.
2011-10-07 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3715212

User image

jldicarlo - 2011-10-07 12:59 PM

Now, when I win $1000 in Vegas playing craps...I sure do miss having a brick and mortar building to walk into to deposit it.  Instead I find myself trying to spend a ridiculous number of $100 bills when a lot of places don't necessarily want them for the size purchases I am doing.  Besides, I hate paying in cash because then I don't get cash back bonus or FF miles!

I guess since I have a BoA mortgage I could walk into the brick and mortar BoA down the street and ask them to break the bills into smaller amounts.  In fact, I think I will...

Oh, it shocked me and I had to look two/three times to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing but there is a USAA ATM in my local CVS drug store. Huh? Yup, sure enough, it's USAA.

Weird. You may want to keep your eyes peeled about where stand alone ATMs are now

2011-10-07 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3715301

User image

Master
Denver
DanielG - 2011-10-07 11:45 AM

I would recommend, and have recommended, them in a NY minute. I've been with them as I said, for 20 years and have not had a single issue.

Cool, thanks.  Just saw Jen's post too.  Now I just have to get over the big thing BofA is counting on with their fee - it's such a pain the rear to switch banks, reset my direct-deposit, auto bill pays....

2011-10-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3715277

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
tech_geezer - 2011-10-07 12:28 PM
SGriepsma - 2011-10-07 1:26 PM

I don't believe credit unions are ever backed by the FDIC.  They have their own version of the FDIC

Federal credit unions are members of NCUA which insures deposits.  Some state chartered CU's are members, of NCUA, some are not.

See

www.ncua.gov

That is correct, if you are a member of NCUA (gov't agency) then the accounts are insured by National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF).  Some CUs are insured by the private company American Share Insurance (ASI) and a branch of that called the Excess Share Insurance (ESI).

I don't know if you could find a CU today that wasn't covered by some type of insurance.

2011-10-07 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3715328

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3714012

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia

Guys, I work for a large bank and actually worked for B of A in the past.  I don't agree with this type charge at all but I will say the anger is "some what" not fully, but "some what" misdirected.  Again, legislation from DC is causing banks to find some way to continue to be "for profit" otherwise there will be more bailouts. 

I see some posts about going to the CU's.  They are very good yes but they directly compete with banks and they pay no taxes which is unfair in direct competition.  The rules are different for the CU's as well.  The banking regs meant to help are hurting and not the type regs that we really need.  We need regs but a bandaid is not the fix.

So, I'm not saying CU's are bad, or even BofA is right, Im just saying interest income margins are compressed thus leaving lettle to no profit, add on regs.  The smaller the bank the higher % of expense said regs are.

I suggest finding a small "comminity" bank that covers the areas/ towns you frequent.  Visist FDIC and see if they are ok fincially, there is a list.  They will covet your business.

BTW, folks think Credit unions are safe.  They make loans to the same folks banks do but are'nt regulated the same.  Their underwriting is suspect.  They have not had to lower risk grades on their loans due to their auditors not having to scrutinize their portfolio as that of a state or fed chartered bank.  They risk is there but's it's been hidden.  CU's are not FDIC but they are insured.  And last, as full disclosure, I've had a savings account at the CU for 28 years. 

??To me the CU is like Walmart, cheap, little service, and plain.  On the extreme, BofA is like the Gov.  No service, expensive, multi product driven, and just about everyone is a number unless you are Coke Cola or MSFT.  IMHO.  I suggest community banks.

2011-10-07 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3714380

Expert
Central Mass
KeriKadi - 2011-10-06 6:01 PM

All Credit Unions are only open to a specific customer base, but there are two basic types of CU customer bases: organizational (i.e. teacher's, certain universities have their own, etc) and geographic (i.e. "live, work, worship or attend school" in a certain area and you can join).  I think the organizational ones do have slightly better rates, but if they do, it's very, very slight.

I grew up using the University of Michigan's Credit Union (organizational: open to students, faculty, staff, family, retirees, and alumni), but closed my account when I left Ann Arbor.  Best banking experiences of my life though.

Anyway, here is one search engine, run by CUNA (Credit Union National Association):

http://www.findacreditunion.com/

Here is NCUA's search engine:

http://cuonline.ncua.gov/CreditUnionOnline/CU/FindCreditUnions.aspx

My quick try shows the same results with either, but I'd guess if a CU is a member of CUNA and not NCUA (or vice versa) they might not show up in both.

2011-10-07 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3715321

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
drewb8 - 2011-10-07 1:03 PM
DanielG - 2011-10-07 11:45 AM

Cool, thanks.  Just saw Jen's post too.  Now I just have to get over the big thing BofA is counting on with their fee - it's such a pain the rear to switch banks, reset my direct-deposit, auto bill pays....

Yep...other than the whole "won't insure my house in FL" thing, USAA has been awesome.  I've been with them for at least a dozen years.

That being said, I recently moved the majority of my savings to ING Direct because they actually pay interest.  I still have a USAA savings account but I don't keep much there.  So, the interest rates stink, but the customer service is top notch.

Other than the odd "need to deposit cash" (which happens maybe once every couple of years) I haven't found something I can't do online with them.  Transfers are easy.  Depositing checks is childs' play.  Their bill pay is easy too (though, for MOST things I tend to pay my bills via the other sites...i.e. I go to the credit card site to pay the bill).  They refund ATM charges.  There are no fees at all.  They can do all the account types including IRAs and mutual funds.  Any time there's been a disputed charge on my USAA credit card they just take care of it.  They are super easy to get a hold of on the phone if you need something.  They even have free overdraft. 

USAA is probably the best bank out there.  Like I said...unless you need to deposit cash on a regular basis they can't be beat.

2011-10-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3715296

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
USAA will also reimburse you for using an other bank's ATM.  If you happen to have a check (who has those any more?) you can deposit through their mobile app on iPhone or a Droid.  All of our direct deposits now go to USAA, my Homeowner's is through USAA as is our Auto and motorcycle insurance.  Even my local bank and CU can't beat them.....most of the time.
2011-10-08 1:54 PM

Pro
Houston

Does anybody know the USAA requirements? My husband was in the Navy - Desert Shield & Desert storm, active for 6 years and when I checked years ago for insurance we did not qualify which I found odd.

2011-10-08 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3716267

KeriKadi - 2011-10-08 2:54 PM

Does anybody know the USAA requirements? My husband was in the Navy - Desert Shield & Desert storm, active for 6 years and when I checked years ago for insurance we did not qualify which I found odd.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main?wa_ref=pub_glob...
Military Veterans
Military veterans includes:
Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated and were honorably discharged.

The following products are available to military veterans:
All Insurance Products
All Banking Products
All Investment Products
All Shopping & Services Discounts
2011-10-09 8:22 PM

New user
Dothan Al
I have been a member of a credit union for over 30 years and have never paid ANY bank fees. 
2011-10-14 10:24 AM

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Thought this was timely...     I had 15 seconds of glory yesterday talking about this topic with local news reporter.    It's about 3/4 way through clip...

http://www.wpbf.com/video/29478417/detail.html?taf=wpb

2011-10-14 10:40 AM

I've been chuckling a bit at this being on the front page of USAA's site:

2011-10-14 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3714055

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Goosedog - 2011-10-06 3:32 PM
lisac957 - 2011-10-06 3:20 PM

No way.
I was actually considering switching to Bank of America because my home mortgage is owned by them, and I can't subscribe to an automated monthly payment unless I have an account with them (so dumb). But now that they are charging, I will just set a reminder on my calendar to go online and manually pay every month.

I'm not sure about BoA, but some banks will waive monthly fees if your relationship (mine includes mortgage balance) is substantial enough.

BoA will not be charging the fees for accounts that have additional services. For example, we won't have to pay because both of us have direct deposit into BoA.  At least, that is my current understanding.

2011-10-14 10:59 AM

Champion
Chicago
Rep. Peter Welch from Vermont may be spearheading an investigation to see if new debit card fees by multiple banks violates antitrust laws because they seem coordinated.
2011-10-14 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3724050

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

DanielG - 2011-10-14 10:40 AM I've been chuckling a bit at this being on the front page of USAA's site:

That made me laugh too!

2011-10-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3724093

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

mr2tony - 2011-10-14 11:59 AM Rep. Peter Welch from Vermont may be spearheading an investigation to see if new debit card fees by multiple banks violates antitrust laws because they seem coordinated.

Another Political game to waste time and energy.   Does he think bankers meet in the backroom of a coffee shop and compare notes?   He wants to sick the AG on the banks in effort to keep them honest.  Looks great on campaign flyer I guess for Mr. Welch, but serious time killer.  

This is the logical place large banks would go to recoup lost revenue and it doesn't even come close to doing that.   On average, The income to pay for the cost of the transaction went from .50 to .25 cap.   Think businesses are going to start spreading that savings onto the consumer any time soon?   Also, banks under $10 billion are still able to charge uncapped fee.  Someone please share the last successful attempt at price fixing enforced by our goverment that had a positive outcome.  I cant think of one. 

2011-10-14 3:24 PM

Buttercup

I've been a credit union member since 1985. I love my credit union. Got and satisfied 2 new car loans from them. They require (and have required for as long as I can remember) a 20% deposit for home loans; they are not promiscuous lenders. They do not charge me to use my ATM or VISA check card.

BoA charges a per transaction fee of about $3-5 if you use their ATM and are not a member of their bank. If I use another CU's ATM, I pay $0 for transaction fee. I'm having a tough time mustering care for BoA's "loss of income" otherwise known as loss of gouging privileges.

Edited by Renee 2011-10-14 3:25 PM
2011-10-14 3:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-14 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3724574

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I guess I'll have to call BOA to confirm but are they considering your check card to be a debit card?  If that is the case I'm out.  I really like their online bill pay but I will not pay to use a check card.

2011-11-02 12:49 PM

Elite
Spokane, WA

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/01/8580475-bank-of-america-drops-debit-card-fee-plan?ocid=ansmsnbc11

B of A runs away from the debit card fee with their tail between their legs. Luv it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Would you pay the B of A $5 debit card fee Rss Feed  

of 4