General Discussion Race Reports! » 2011 Southern Branch YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2011 Southern Branch YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
United States
Southern Branch YMCA
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay Teams
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Went over race logistics with Chandler and Kyle, including practicing transitions.
Event warmup:

Since we were doing this as a relay, I took my trainer and training wheel to use for a warmup. I spun for 20 minutes until Chandler came over to tell me that Kyle was getting ready to start the swim.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 525 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m 22s
Comments:

Kyle and Chandler ran out to where I was waiting in transition, and Chan removed the timing strap from Kyle's leg, and put it on mine. This seemed to work well. Our T1 was 2/7 of the relay teams.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Bike
  • 49m 17s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I only took about 1/2 bike bottle of water along. I decided that since I would probably only drink 2 or 3 times during the ride that I could get by with that instead of my aero bottle. This worked out well, and I only drank about 1/3 of the 1/2 bottle.

The 20 minute trainer ride for a warmup worked perfectly. I had just enough time to take the bike off the trainer, switch wheels, strip off the extra layers of clothing and head to the other end of the transition area to meet up with Chan & Kyle.

The good warmup allowed me to push hard right from the beginning. I hammered until my lungs and legs both screamed for relief, than I did my best to hold that effort level until T2.

All went well until I shifted poorly and dropped my chain on the last hill about 1/4 - 1/2 mile before transition. I estimate that I lost about 30 seconds putting the chain back on and struggling a little to get clipped back in and started again on the hill.

In the end, I was pleased with my ride, considering that I dropped the chain and was still not completely recovered from Savageman only 2 weeks earlier, but still posted the 3rd fastest bike time out of 77 overall.

Concentrate better on shifting so I didn't drop the chain.
Transition 2
  • 00m 20s
Comments:

I practically fell off the bike as I got to the dismount line, because of the balls to the wall effort of the last few miles. I tried to stand still and calm the shaking while Kyle removed the timing strap and put it on Chandler.

This seemed like another good transition, but it was only 4th/7 relay teams, with the first 3 posting times of :11, :16, and :17.

I'm not sure, but if we do this again, we'll need to figure out how to be quicker.
Run
  • 22m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was poorly marked, and one of the volunteers was giving wrong directions. Chandler thinks he went the right way, but slowed to a jog once or twice to make sure he was on track. I think he did it right based on his time, because the time seemed right, allowing for being a little beat up from his football game the night before, and jogging a little. He normally runs around 21 minutes. His time was listed as the 7th fastest out of 77 overall.

There were a few people I talked to who definitely went the wrong way, either going too far or not far enough. We have no way of knowing if the other teams all went the correct way or not.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and talk to friends who raced.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Kyle being out of prime swimming condition, me dropping the chain and still recovering from the last race, and Chan's physical condition and poor course markings.

Event comments:

I've done this race because it's conveniently located at the YMCA where my son's swim team practices and competes, and to support the Y. It's not well organized.

Post race, they didn't have the prizes for the winners, and didn't do any kind of awards ceremony. A lady just read off the winners to a small group of people who happened to be at the front desk at the time. They're supposed to call us when our prizes are ready. They're supposed to be tee shirts that say "Champion" on the back.

The finish line was unmarked, so if there were any spectators who wanted to see their athletes finish, they would have had to ask to find out it was at the back of the parking lot behind the YMCA.

It's probably because of the above that this event is about 1/2 the size it's been in the past.

In spite of the above, it was still a fun little race to do with the boys.

Last updated: 2011-10-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 525 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 7/
Performance:
Kyle swam well, posting the 3rd fastest swimming time out of 77.
Suit:
Course: Pool swim. Time trial start, splitting lanes so 16 people could swim at once. As soon as one person finished, the next person in line crossed the timing mat to start their time.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:17 | 15.2 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Performance: Good
Unfortunately, I couldn't find my FR305 last night, so I wasn't able to collect HR data. This could have been a good opportunity to use as an LT test.
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly hilly with several of them being long enough and steep enough that I had to get out of the saddle. The roads were mostly smooth asphalt. This is a challenging course for a sprint.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:47 | 03.1 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Performance:
Course: Rolling through a residential neighborhod for the first 2.5 miles, then across a field to a paved path in a township park that led back to the YMCA.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2011-10-09 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: 2011 Southern Branch YMCA Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2011 Southern Branch YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed