Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-12-19 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4541312

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Homeland on Showtime

As a side note.  The D-bag under cover analyst who almost killed Brody then ended up in the director's bedroom with his threat to come back?

Turned from D-bad to cool guy, in my book!

2012-12-19 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4541314

User image

Champion
SoCal
Kido - 2012-12-19 9:44 AM

As a side note.  The D-bag under cover analyst who almost killed Brody then ended up in the director's bedroom with his threat to come back?

I don't know if I ever thought he was a DB but I did think he was way too serious. Now I do think he is bad azz and hope he is in the show more.

2012-12-19 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4541312

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Kido - 2012-12-19 12:43 PM

ChrisM - 2012-12-18 9:53 AM

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-12-18 4:55 AM Also, and I hate to be one of those people who nit-picks everything, but it really strained credibility that they would have allowed an unoccupied, unattended SUV to be driven up and parked right in front of the building where all these dignitaries were. Someone hot-wired his car, drove it up to the front door, got out and walked away leaving it there and none of the guards noticed or did anything?

And Langley doesn't have cameras EVERYWHERE?

I have to suspend a little too much disbelief for the show.   But I will still give S3 a chance.

This.  I thought the finale was so absurd, and I have to suspend disbelief so much I just rolled my eyes.  I stared at the TV and was like WTF?  For example, with basically insurmountable evidence (even planted) how is Brody going to get out from under the frame up?  The video is out, so even if he IS innocent the public won't believe it.

If I really try to put my finger on it, I'm not looking forward to an ENTIRE season of just watching him on the run and "almost" getting caught every week.  That's what Dexter turned into, and it get's a bit annoying week after week.  That's what I see S3 being set up for, IMO

[/QUOTE

Totally agree with your Dexter assessment. Part of me wants to stop watching, but I feel like Ive invested so much time in it that I want a conclusion.
2012-12-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4541327

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Big Appa - 2012-12-19 9:51 AM

I don't know if I ever thought he was a DB but I did think he was way too serious. Now I do think he is bad azz and hope he is in the show more.

Is he dead by any chance?  In the explosion?

2012-12-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4541345

User image

Champion
SoCal
Kido - 2012-12-19 9:58 AM
Big Appa - 2012-12-19 9:51 AM

Is he dead by any chance?  In the explosion?

He had no reason to be there so I doubt it.

2012-12-19 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3717641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Whatever they decide to do in Season 3, there needs to be more Saul, less Carrie. Her babbling is awful. Loved the "You are the smartest and the dumbest %$*#@!( person Ive ever met" comment.

2012-12-19 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4540694

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
TriToy - 2012-12-19 5:28 AM 

suspension of disbelief is required for movies and tv.....

Yes it is, but only within the framework the director or producer has created. You can suspend disbelief and accept some of the silly plot twists and turns and how absurd some of the characters are, but if the framework they've built is the CIA post September 11th, you can't suspend disbelief in regards to the level of security that would be in place at the CIA headquarters.

2012-12-19 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4541568

User image

Champion
New York, NY
mrbbrad - 2012-12-19 2:26 PM

Yes it is, but only within the framework the director or producer has created. You can suspend disbelief and accept some of the silly plot twists and turns and how absurd some of the characters are, but if the framework they've built is the CIA post September 11th, you can't suspend disbelief in regards to the level of security that would be in place at the CIA headquarters.

except I LIKED the twist - even if they did some stupidity to get there - and hopefully in s3 they will give some explanation to that....

and I do not think it will turn into just chasing brody....

2012-12-19 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4541808

User image

Sensei
Sin City
They talked about it on ESPN today as well.  Seems, there are some general grumblings about the finale.  LOTS of people are not happy.  But I guess people ARE talking about it, so that can't be bad for them!
2012-12-19 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4541989

User image

Sensei
Sin City

BTW, CAN you introduce a fatal arrhythmia with a "remote controlled" pace maker?

I thought they did the work on their own if needed.  Can your program them via wifi or radio?  Me doubts it. 

2012-12-19 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4541568

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
mrbbrad - 2012-12-19 1:26 PM

X2. You can't be super-accurate about 90% of the show and then, when super-accurate doesn't allow you to conveniently contrive your big plot twist, just drop all pretense of being accurate. At least not without expecting people to raise their hands and go,"hold on a second..." "24" took all kinds of liberties, so when, for example, Jack could still get cell phone service in a subterranean parking structure, you just sort of shrugged your shoulders and went along w/it.

In general, I think this season required a lot more suspension of disbelief than the previous one.

2012-12-19 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4541990

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Kido - 2012-12-19 5:14 PM

BTW, CAN you introduce a fatal arrhythmia with a "remote controlled" pace maker?

I thought they did the work on their own if needed.  Can your program them via wifi or radio?  Me doubts it. 

The answer is maybe. Here's an excerpt from an article with the producer of homeland, Henry Bromell:

How did it strike you at first when you heard about the pacemaker idea?
Bromell: It struck me as lunatic. The way it started was Howard read in "The New York Times" about this, and I did the research. Some scientists had written a scholarly piece on the fact that in their lab, they had indeed hacked easily into one of these things and caused it to run amok. [The box like the one Walden had] is for doctors to be able to check in on you without you being there. You have your pacemaker and then a little plastic box -- the one on the show is a real one -- and that box normally is in the doctor's office, and he can check it at any time, and if anything is going wrong, that little box will tell him. Under certain circumstances, if your heart starts to beat too fast, it would slow it down automatically.

When you hack into it, you basically trick it, and the scientists very easily convinced the pacemaker that it should send a huge jolt of electricity into the heart. And bammo, it did it. Now, because of the scientific research, which is pretty new, the guys who make these things are changing them so you can't do this.

[BHas anyone ever been hurt or died due to something like this in real life?
Bromell: Not at all. I don't even know that anyone knew how to do that except now. Once these guys wrote this article and it ran in "The New York Times," people could have tried it. I don't think anyone has and hopefully, no one will. I'm hoping everyone thinks it's so preposterous it couldn't possibly be true, but it is true.

Full text is here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/02/homeland-brody-kills_n_2213510.html
2012-12-19 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3717641

User image

Champion
New York, NY

CURRENTLY no pacemakers are not wireless communicators - and this episode told me they never should be!

with current technology that box that Brody got the numbers from had the connector that would allow you to communicate with the device.

You can query a device and find out what happened. That was my big question after the death scene - was anyone going to query the pacemaker.....

2013-12-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

******SPOILER ALERT******

Brody was hung?  What?????????????  I kept expecting him to pop up later in the show like his death was just an act!  Now they way it ended makes me wonder where the show goes next season? Saul is on his own, Carrie is in Instanbul, no idea about Quinn, but no Brody???  Really?????

2013-12-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

I agree.  Not interested in watching if it's just Carrie.    I thought it was the series finale the way that went,,,,,,

2013-12-17 12:16 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I think Carrie will recruit Quinn for the Istanbul team. Not sure about the baby...I can't see Carrie being a mother. As for Brody, there was really no where for him to go - I really doubt he would be accepted in the US, even after helping the CIA. I have a hard believing Saul won't come back somehow. The show is so much better with him in it. And Carrie is just too annoying.

2013-12-17 12:53 PM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
yeah, interesting ending. no cliff hangers or no obviously debatable events that lead into what the next season looks like? i'm starting to think they did it that way just in case the show doesn't get picked up for another season....although, i can't imagine that's the case considering the ratings are better than dexter.

here are my predictions....either:
1. Carrie has the baby and gives it up. she takes Quinn to Turkey to help run the operation in Iran. Javadi becomes the new Brody and the show focuses on him trying to hide his secret from the Iranians while improving Iran's relations with the rest of the world (but he'll prob create some problems along the way). Saul goes into the private sector and consults with Carrie on the Iran operation, behind the new Directors back.

2. Carrie has the baby, keeps it, and stays in the states. she goes even more nuts by trying to clear Brody's name in the US so her child thinks he isn't a terrorist and a murderer. Saul get's into the private sector and get's offered work by the new Director and accepts it because of his patriotism. his primary job is to contain Carrie and prevent her from going all Snoden on them and starting WW3. Quinn takes the job in Turkey and keeps Carrie in the loop on what's going on.
2013-12-17 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by ChrisM

I agree.  Not interested in watching if it's just Carrie.    I thought it was the series finale the way that went,,,,,,

I also thought it was the series finale.    I really like Carrie's character, I think Claire Daines plays her really well.  She's always on the edge, she has an extremely well-developed instinct that she uses frequently, to her advantage. 

I kind of rolled my eyes when I heard that Claire Daines was going to be doing this show... All I could remember was "My So-called Life"  I think she's done a great job. 

Mandy Patankin has just knocked this one out of the park.   I love the way he plays Saul.  

Season four will be great, methinks!

2013-12-18 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

I read an article yesterday that said Saul will still feature heavily in the next season. He's still "in the game", he'll just be making 3x the salary!

And to the comments above, no, you can't hack into a pacemaker over the internet. Pacemakers have wireless capabilities (that's how docs change the settings when needed), but they are controlled by devices placed in close proximity to the pacemaker.
2013-12-18 9:04 AM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by jcnipper

I read an article yesterday that said Saul will still feature heavily in the next season. He's still "in the game", he'll just be making 3x the salary!

And to the comments above, no, you can't hack into a pacemaker over the internet. Pacemakers have wireless capabilities (that's how docs change the settings when needed), but they are controlled by devices placed in close proximity to the pacemaker.

Maybe not, but I thought this was interesting....

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/21/4863872/dick-cheney-pacemaker-wi...
2013-12-18 9:16 AM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Am I the only one that secretly hopes Brody wasn't really hung, that someway it was just for show and that he pops up sometime next season?????

Cause I agree if the show is just about Carrie or the new CIA Director, then no thanks.

Also, I still do not trust Quinn for soem reason

2013-12-18 11:15 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by jford2309

Am I the only one that secretly hopes Brody wasn't really hung, that someway it was just for show and that he pops up sometime next season?????

I'm not secretly hoping; I don't think the character is actually dead. I believe he will reappear next season.

I have watched every episode, but I'm not sure why. If my DVR broke and I missed a few, or if Showtime suddenly pulled the plugged my life would not miss a beat. The story itself was an interesting one, with a former Marine turned against his country, but it really should have been a mini-series, ending with Brody's capture and execution for treason. The twist and turns and absurd goings on make it an almost must see for how far into fantasy land the producers will go.

Oh, and if I never again see Claire Danes' chin scrunch up and her lips quiver with that sour puss on her face it will be too soon.

2013-12-18 11:29 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Originally posted by mrbbrad

I'm not secretly hoping; I don't think the character is actually dead. I believe he will reappear next season.

I have watched every episode, but I'm not sure why. If my DVR broke and I missed a few, or if Showtime suddenly pulled the plugged my life would not miss a beat. The story itself was an interesting one, with a former Marine turned against his country, but it really should have been a mini-series, ending with Brody's capture and execution for treason. The twist and turns and absurd goings on make it an almost must see for how far into fantasy land the producers will go.

Oh, and if I never again see Claire Danes' chin scrunch up and her lips quiver with that sour puss on her face it will be too soon.

My "hollywood insider" connections told me that his contract was not renewed for next season, nor was the family's (thank god, if there's one thing worse than the Carrie face crunch it's the Dana face crunch... what the hell was all that about????)

I agree that they should have done this BBC style... one season/ miniseries and then that's it.

2013-12-18 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I was both surprised and relieved by Brody's execution. He had long since lived past his usefulness as a character, and to keep Brody would have also meant keeping his family, which had, to an even greater extent, ceased to bring anything to the table. You know, other than that Morena Baccarin is smoking-hot.

As a side note-- has there ever been, in the history of TV, a more superfluous character than Chris Brody? Other than "There's a big-screen tv in every room!" I can't recall a single line that he ever uttered or any way he ever contributed to a plot. It almost felt like they cast him for his look, realized he couldn't act, and then never let him do anything again.

The baby thing is weird, although there is precedent for a major character having a baby and the baby never being heard from again (Peggy on Mad Men), so maybe they can successfully write it out. The thought of Carrie and Her Baby Go to Istanbul sounds painful.

If anyone can explain to me what Carrie has done to merit being given a huge promotion and a plum overseas assignment (by Lockhart, no less) after all of her insubordinate, emotional, loose-cannon nonsense, I will be eternally grateful. Because unless Lockhart thinks that Carrie also knows about Lockhart hiring the Israeli spy to tap Saul's computer, that made zero sense.

Hopefully Dar Adal and Quinn will have greater roles. Not clear exactly what Saul's role will be, although it's kind of interesting that now she's the insider and he's the outsider.

2013-12-19 2:06 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by mrbbrad

My "hollywood insider" connections told me that his contract was not renewed for next season, nor was the family's (thank god, if there's one thing worse than the Carrie face crunch it's the Dana face crunch... what the hell was all that about????)

I agree that they should have done this BBC style... one season/ miniseries and then that's it.

YES.   I couldn't stand her acting or her character.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Homeland on Showtime Rss Feed  

of 5