General Discussion Race Reports! » Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Clarita, California
United States
Renegade Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 58m 32s
Overall Rank = 128/186
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/34
Pre-race routine:

Picked up race packet Saturday. Tried to bike the run course but was blocked by construction. I thought, "We're going to run through this???" Got bike checked for safety and left my bike in transition to save time following morning.
Event warmup:

Dynamic movements to get body warmed up. Standing freestyle strokes in wetsuit. Got in lake and swam around to get acclimated for 10 minutes. Water felt nice!
Swim
  • 37m 27s
  • 1650 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I planned on using this swim as a warmup to the bike segment so I held back a little bit.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly be a bit more aggressive using higher stroke rate since the bike segment would my most comfortable segment of the race.
Transition 1
  • 05m 14s
Comments:

Suit got stuck a bit at my ankles. I'm so thoughtful during transition that I'm a bit slow compared to the speedsters but I don't mind. I unsuited top half before entering transition. Forgot to reattach timing chip which cost me about 10 seconds.

Don't forget timing chip.
Bike
  • 1h 53m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Finished M/FOP here yay! The bike is always my best and favorite part of triathlon. Managed the ascents really well. Attacked the descents aggressively. Passed alot of cyclists. Still held back a bit due to temperatures rising and preparing for the run.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Smooth dismount. Felt comfortable and not out of breath off the bike. Took off bike socks and sprayed alot of TriSlide on both feet. Put on socks with pre-applied TriSlide, shoes, and double knotted.

Use BodyGlide! Give speed laces a try and forget about Nike Sportband.
Run
  • 1h 19m
  • 6.7 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty strong first 2 miles with some minor quad cramps out of T2 which I fought off. Kept cool by splashing water over my head and back. Route was mostly flat as reported. Course changed from last year's though.

Right quads cramped up halfway up 2nd ascent near turnaround where I slowed to walking. TriSlide evaporated??? Feet felt blistery after 3.5 miles. Fought through this, got right quad cramps again halfway up ascent @ 4.5 mile mark. Feet felt worse. Kept going at 10K pace, heard festivities and remembered finish chute was very close so I accelerated through all the pain and cramps. Nope! Not the finish, had 1K to go! Argh! Right quads cramped again and feet killing me slowed my pace to walking a couple times then when chute was 1/4 mile away, I gave it all I got and finished! =)

Use BodyGlide instead of TriSlide for running distances >5K. Bring extra pair of socks with pre-applied BodyGlide. More hill repeats to train quads to manage them better.
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrated, walked around, stretched, chatted with other finishers. Hung out at the VIP area with Ken and his family. Ate oranges, bananas, and full bottle of Endurox R4. Ate some tacos and a burrito. Chatted with the CHP officers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

TriSlide failed, right quad cramps on running ascents.

Event comments:

Good race but must have good climbing skill on the bike segment. Really tough for a first Oly! I'm considering doing this race again next year but that will be determined by my race schedule for next year. Great finish for my first triathlon racing season! =)

Last updated: 2011-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:27 | 1650 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/34
Overall: 140/186
Performance: Average
Did not bring HR watch.
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4 Fullsuit
Course: Clockwise lake swim out to big orange buoy, straight to a yellow, right turn to another yellow, right turn again back in. Sun was very bright on my left after the 1st right turn.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:53:23 | 24.85 miles | 13.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/34
Overall: 81/186
Performance: Good
1st ascent: 146-148bpm (Z3). 2nd ascent: 150-152bpm (low Z4). 3rd ascent: 150-152bpm. All descents: 144-148bpm.
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly course. 7 mile ascent right off the swim @ ~4%. 3-4 mile descent. 3-4 mile ascent @ 5%. 2-3 mile descent. 2-3 mile ascent @ 5%. 7 mile descent back to transition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:19:00 | 06.7 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/34
Overall: 90/186
Performance: Below average
HR spiked to 149bpm out of T2. Kept pace as easy as possible to drop it to 143. Paced flats at 146bpm (Z3). Ascents @ 152bpm (Z4).
Course: 1 loop around the lake with an extension to turnaround and a fake out finish extension around park area to the real path to the finish chute. =P
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-10 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-10-10 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3718331

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: RE: Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course
Roland...terrific job!! You finished well in the top 1/2 overall! You did well in you age group considering, your age group is tough because folks seem to peak in their early 30's in this sport, and this is just your first of many seasons! You will be awesome next season! Good job and glad you enjoyed your first season as a triathlete!!!!
2011-10-11 10:47 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Well done Roland , its most definitively a killer bike course for a first OLY .
But then how good does it feel to come screaming down that 7 mile descent ?
2011-10-12 12:15 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks you guys!  I had a really great experience.  Very well organized despite the finish fake out.  This course really tests your level of fitness and mental exertion.  The last descent was super fun indeed!  I think I got up to 35-38mph on my roadie. =)
2011-10-17 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Congratulations! 

and a great report.  Now to enjoy as many burritos as you like, at least for a few weeks    and I love my elastic laces in the running shoes; highly recommend.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed