General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats your best ways of saving time during a training program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-12 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Whats your best ways of saving time during a training program

I am busy training for the Buffalo City 70.3 on the 22 of January next year and this year my goal is 3 fold:

1.. set a decent time ( for me that would be anything close to 6 hours, less is better but 6 is my goal time)

2... Training time...how to make the most efficient use of my time. I have my own business business, wife, kid, cats, dogs...you know the deal.

3...Involve my family as much as possible in the event and training.

Number 3 has been fairly easy as I managed to get my daughter to do the swimleg for a team.

Number 2..well there is the rub.

So far I have thought of and done: Bike, a lot more time on the trainer (Spinnervals is my friend) as opposed to just banging out mile after mile on the road.

Run: I like to run outside but have now decided to to my interval running on the treadmill, its cuts about 1 hour worth of travel to and from the local track.

Swimming: Last year I put in endless hours in the pool. This year, I hired a coach for 3 hours a week and we have a local ocean racing series with a bi-weekly 1 or 2k race. That should get me through the swim in one piece.

Any other ideas?

TL/DR

What is your best time saving tips for training without skipping on the quality of the training

2011-10-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3721611

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Whats your best ways of saving time during a training program
Care less about your job.  Not kidding.
2011-10-12 4:06 PM

User image

Runner
You don't need a track for intervals. Just go by time, or landmarks (light posts work well for this).

Have a plan that is based on realistic goals and expectations. If you are crunched for time, focus on training that will maximize the training you can do in the time available.
2011-10-12 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
I totally agree with that. I dont do Friday's as it is at the moment. Fact is was part of my business plan when I started 15 years ago not to work on Fridays. Managed about 95% of the time. 
2011-10-12 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3721623

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Another way to do intervals is time based.  I program a workout in my Garmin and it beeps for each step.  I did one with  about 45 "laps" a few weeks ago, a bit much but it's nice that it is totally brainless.  Then you can do them wherever, even if it means 45 times up and down the block.

I incorporate training into life.   Run to work, bike to work.  

I save time by running after work, by my office, so that when I get into the car the commute is better since traffic has died down.   I agree that driving to a place to run is a total timesuck and should be avoided for the time crunched athlete.    I bring my running clothes into my office in the morning, change before I leave, and put my bags in the car.  I work in a cooldown on my way back to the car so I can get in and drive right away.  I have a complicated commute so occasionally I stop and run on the drive home.  There's more variety that way.

Ruthless planning also helps.  Know your plan for the week, set aside clothes and gear for everything.  Stock up the gym bag with duplicate supplies so you don't always have to think about what goes in there.   Always prepack and preplan.

I save time if I can get to the gym in the morning and get ready for my day there.  There are many less distractions so a normal hour prep at home can be done at the gym in 20 minutes plus a swing by the coffee place.

Hope this helps!

2011-10-12 4:17 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Bike commute.
Squeeze in a run over lunch.

That's all I've got

2011-10-12 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Prepare way ahead of time. Have your clothes laying out and ready (or packed in the appropriate bag). Put filled water bottles in the fridge. Pre-pack nutrition on your bike when applicable. If travelling to ride, pre-load all gear in the car the night before. I can get up and be riding the trainer within about 15 minutes when I plan it right, so any ride less than 3 hours gets done there. I do all the prep at night after the kids have gone to bed and talk with my wife while I do it all. I run from the house when possible. I swim during lunch.  Still a lot of time and family feels the impact of it, but trying to make it less painful for them. Of course I do every workout I can early in the morning. Generally I'm done with my morning session by 6:30-6:45 when my wife is just getting up.

Oh...this doesn't help with efficiency, but I post my training plan at least a month in advance where my family can see it.

Edited by syscrash 2011-10-12 4:21 PM
2011-10-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3721645

User image

Pro

My son trains with me.  I bought my wife and daughters a horse.  Problem solved.  Nobody complains.

2011-10-12 4:21 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

My wife and I both train for IMs and have kids, jobs, and a life, so I understand your problem.  I think it boils down to you need to get efficient with your total training time.  Add in getting dressed, prep, driving, WO, and then clean up. 

1. If you are going to the pool, make it count.  a 30 minute swim can take 2 hours easily.
  2. Ride and run from the house.  Loading, driving, and unloading is easily an hour.
  3. Do more brick work outs since you are already dirty.  2 hour bike and 30 minute brick run can be a 45 minute time savings.
  4. Get up earlier.  Get your work out in before the family wakes up.
  5. Do more intensity so you get more bang for your buck. 
  6. Have a schedule of exactly when and what type of work out for every day.  It helps you focus on what you need to be doing instead of doing what is convenient.

Oh, and don't forget to enjoy it!

2011-10-12 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Missouri
Maybe bike or run in the early am before work ? I stay away from the track and treadmill and run around town and do some trail runs. I spend a lot of my time on the bike before the sun goes down, or if I have a flexible work schedule in the early afternoon. If I'm not biking or running in the pm, I'll swim right before dinner time. It sounds like you have a pretty good base for a training program. Just make every minute count when you are training...
2011-10-12 4:34 PM

User image

Do you do all of your afternoon workouts right out of the house?  Get home get changed get warmed up get on the road?

Do you do all of your traveling workouts in the early a.m.?  If you go to the gym at 3:30 a.m. there is no traffic and can save considerable amounts of time from your travels.

Do you make all of your meals in batches?  Do you put all of your gear out the night before?  If going to the lake park for brick workouts do you load everything up the night before?  Do you just let all of the maintenance go on your gear?  Do you have enough towels and training clothes to not run out if they pile up? 

2011-10-12 4:52 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

All of the above.  I run to work quite a lot.  The cool thing is that then you have to run home!  I also run to the pool a lot.  (Well, not a lot, because my swim training is pathetic.)  My kids ride their bike with me when I run sometimes.

The tough one is biking, but yeah, going hard on the trainer is a pretty efficient use of training time.

2011-10-13 5:54 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Combine workouts. I mostly do my runs immediately after biking or swimming. Saves a bunch of set-up time.

Make good use of any times when the rest of the family is already doing something else. Makes the training less of an imposition on them.

2011-10-13 7:20 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Don Fink's book Be Iron Fit has outstanding suggestions on time efficiency (overall, and particularly in regards to training; his programs are based on that too) ... check it out.
2011-10-13 8:09 AM

Master

These two items for me are hands-down the biggest time saver for long-distance tri training:

1. Organized, target-oriented training plan. Use HR, power meter, paces, etc., but you want discrete targets and goals - the workouts should together work toward that goal. You can cut out huge amounts of random training in substitute for shorter, more targeted sessions that aren't even necessarily a greater toll on the body. You can literally save hours of training time per week with this one move. So instead of just 'running for about 45-60 minutes at some tough pace' today, you'll be doing specifically '40 minutes with 3 x 10' @ such pace/HR' or biking with intervals at 'such' power.

2. Bike indoors. Hate to say it, but it's true - your bike workout times are hugely compressed on the trainer where there are no stops, downhills, or coasting, and you if you're on a targeted plan, it's much easier to hit targeted power/HR consistently. I've done over 90% of my bike miles indoors despite living in amazing bike-weather territory, but I've been very happy with my bike speed.

3. Swim less. Yes, this sucks for slowsters in the pool such as myself, but like it or not, driving to/from the pool can be a major time drag for most - I live only a 12 min drive to a local pool, and my 1hr pool workout balloons into a nearly 2 hr affair even though I waste ZERO time dilly dallying before/after water entry. Put in big time swim training if your schedule permits - otherwise, minimize it if you're time-crunched. 

I have a 14-month old now, and my wife and I both work full-time. I sacrifice nearly my entire weekend schedule and weekday evening schedule for my wife, who works very long hours and also has personal interests, which I allow her to prioritize over my triathlon training. Still, I can manage to put up good near-PR splits with limited training.

I'd say that in terms of time savings and back-for-buck, #1 saved the most, followed by #2 then #3. But #1 was the biggest yield item.

2011-10-13 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

RE intervals. You don't need a track. There appears to be no public track at all in this city, but I do do intervals. You simply find a convenient, nearby, hopefully lightly trafficked place, measure the desired distance with a Garmin or bike computer, and go at it. I do mine on a riverside promenade. I've measured 400m anduse landmarks for my "start" and "finish". You can also do time-based repeats or fartlek out on the road or trail. You get the same workout without having to drive to the track or access/buy a treadmill. And unless you race on a track, it more closely resembles race conditions anyway.  I haven't missed the track--we had a love-hate relationship to begin with, anyway.

Another helpful book is One-Hour Workouts: 50 Swim, Bike, and Run Workouts for Busy Athletes (Velo Press). It should be called, "Fifty Ways to Totally Exhaust Yourself in 60 Minutes". They are based on the assumption that you have no more than 60 minutes for the workout and make maximum use of every minute. In particular the swim ones are tough!

2011-10-13 8:46 AM

User image

Pro

Know what workouts are a priority and what the purpose of each workout is. When time gets tight and you have to miss one, you'll have an easier time rearranging your schedule.

2011-10-13 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas

1. Planning and preparation. I have running shoes/clothes at work, I carry swim wear and other gear in my truck and I keep my planned workout schedule posted where my wife can reference too

2. Lunch time runs, I actually have access to a HS pool 1 mile from my office, I can use it when I have time

3. Combine workouts-run to the pool or whatever, get some time on the treadmill if or spin bike after a swim if your gym/pool has them. Squeeze in a transition run after each bike session.

4. Has others have said-make each workout count-no junk miles

5. Respect the alarm clock-resist the snooze button!

6. Eschew the television and other time killers-or set that trainer up in front of it

7. Maximize your rest times

8. Race more-I enter allot of 5/10k races through out the year and use them as speed sessions

9. Treat workout schedules like any other priority you will "find the time to do the things you make time to do"

2011-10-13 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

For #2:  Might not apply to you since you own your own business, but I work out 5 times a day over my much break.  Saves me a boatload of training time away from the family. 

For #3:  Does your wife/kid bike?  Can you get her to do some supported rides with you?  Hang for a while and then do your own thing and meet them at the finish.  I do this with my wife.  Sometimes I will hang with her the entire ride and count the slower pace as more time int he saddle.

2011-10-13 3:08 PM

User image

Master

Looking at your logs, looks like your training time is reasonable. There are some other good suggestions listed here, so I won't harp the efficiency, work out from home thing.

Can't tell from your logs how focused you are on quality vs. quantity, but if you gave up one longer session every 2 weeks for 2 shorter but more intense sessions, it would save some time.

The only other idea, take a rest day that includes family activity.

Recovery is important to rebuilding muscle and letting your body adapt to the training stress.

Good luck!

2011-10-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3723057

User image

Veteran

Thanks for all the advice. There is more than a few good ideas that I will incorporate in my training.

Last year I put in at times 16 hours a week for the same race, granted I was just about off the couch so I had to put a lot of hours in and lose a lot of weight. I had a good winter program, so I am a lot fitter and lighter than the same time last year. 

I try to focus on quality and not so much quantity of training, and it seems to be working. 10 hours last week and the wife did not even notice. This week as you can see from my logs is recovery week, went for a shortish run and my wife even said"that was quick"when I got back 40 min later. So I seem to be on the right track. 

My daughter is very keen on the swim, not that it will tax her, she has represented our country at the last world champs so a 1.9 k swim for her is just a warmup but its that the family now is involved instead of just me pounding away for hours. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats your best ways of saving time during a training program Rss Feed