View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Total Time = 4h 26m 18s
Overall Rank = 14667/
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 666/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am to start getting dressed and eat my breakfast. For years I ate oatmeal before long training runs and on race morning, but I've eaten so much of it the last 6 years that I couldn't do it for this race. During training and this morning, my breakfast was a Cashew Cookie Lara Bar. It doesn't sound like much before a marathon, but it works for me.

Left the hotel around 6am to walk the few blocks to the race start. Since Chicago is such a big race, I wanted to make sure I found the proper coral and still have time for the port a potty visits that I know I do.

Found the coral easy, hit the port a potty and sat on the curb with my garbage bag on. It was a tiny bit chilly at the start, but not cold by any means. I knew I would warm up as the race went on, so I was in shorts and a tank. The trash bag kept me warm until the race started.
Run
  • 4h 26m 18s
  • 26 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Running with 35,000+ people makes the course a little crowded. For me, I think that may have been a good thing as it kept me from going out to fast. As soon as we started and went under the first bridge, I was glad that I had decided not to wear the arm warmers as I was already hot. I had been hoping for cooler weather, but like all races, you deal with what you get on race day.

When I hit mile 1 and saw a 9:54 split I was happy. My best time prior to this race was 4:44 and I was hoping to just get a 4:3X. The 9:54 may have been a tiny bit fast, but it felt good and I didn't feel like I was pushing the pace or anything. I told myself to just maintain that feeling and see what happened.

The first few miles of the course were pretty amazing with all of the spectators lining the course. This was my 12th marathon and I definitely think it had the most crowd support of any. It made me not think about the actual running.

I had a bottle of water with me prior to the start. I had planned to chunk it as I started running, but made a decision to hang onto it until I was sure I wouldn't need it. I had run with a bottle of gatorade in my hand during training, so it was nothing unusual for me. The aid stations were plentiful and I really didn't need the water bottle, but I was glad I held onto it. I warmed up real quick.

As the miles ticked off and I continued to see sub 10 miles I was happy. I ran a lot of miles in training for this race and it was paying off. Around mile 8 or 9, I kind of felt like I need to pee, but sometimes when I have that feeling and keep running it goes away. I told myself that if I saw a port a potty that was open, I would detour; if not, I'd keep going. Well, between 12 and 13, I saw empty port a potty's and got in and out quickly. I went from sub 10 splits to a 10:39. Not bad with the quick break. The next mile was back to a sub 10.

Another thing I had never done in all 12 marathons was to run every step of the way. One year at Disney I only walked maybe 3 minutes total, but I still walked. Around 15 or 16 of this race I began to wonder if this was the race I could finally do it. I decided to slow the pace just a bit so that I could keep going longer. At 16 I had my first mile over 10 minutes, but it was low 10s and I was still happy.

Throughout the course, it never really thinned out and the aid stations were crazy, but I was able to work my way over, grab my gatorade, and head back to the middle without every stopping my run. I grabbed gatorade at almost every station because the heat was coming on and I wanted to make sure I stayed hydrated.

Around mile 20 I wondered if my body would give in to walking. I told myself to just make it to 21 and see how I felt. I did this the next few miles. Just one more. Just one more. I knew at this point I would get a PR, but how much of one was the question. Mentally calculating my splits, I figured that if I kept running, not only would I PR, but I would be in the 4:2X range. At 23 I told myself - Just a 5k. You can suffer for 33 more minutes (because at this point I was running 11 minute miles). I was so close and I wasn't going to allow myself to walk. At mile 24 I started to get excited and picked up the pace a little. At 25 I picked it up even more. I was going to finally have a marathon where I ran every step of the way. When I had the finish line insight, I began running even faster. I was so happy to cross that line and know that I had not only run every step, but had reached a new PR as well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I trained hard, putting in long miles in 100 degree heat this summer. I paced myself fairly well from the beginning, hydrated well, and mentally stayed strong. One thing that helped with that was me mentally planning my facebook post for when I was done. I knew I couldn't post about running the whole thing if I didn't actually do that, and I really wanted to post that. Funny how things motivate you.
Post race
Warm down:

The finish area was quite a stretch before you actually got out to where the public was. I walked through the chute, got a mylar blanket in case I got cold, got my medal, and tried to find a place where I could sit for a bit. I bent over to stretch and an EMT asked if I was ok. Yeah, just stretching. I saw everyone with their free beer and thought about one, but the smell got to me at that point and I decided to pass. Finally made my way out of the finisher's chute and sat on a curb for a bit to call the family.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race as well as the city. The city of Chicago really supports the race and the crowd support was awesome.

Last updated: 2011-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:26:18 | 26 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 666/
Overall: 14667/
Performance:
Ave HR: 166 Max HR: 173 Mile 1: 9:54 Mile 2: 9:58 Mile 3: 9:51 Mile 4: 9:27 Mile 5: 9:30 Mile 6: 9:49 Mile 7: 9:19 Mile 8: 9:45 Mile 9: 9:44 Mile 10: 9:44 Mile 11: 9:46 Mile 12: 9:50 Mile 13: 10:39 (potty break) Mile 14: 9:47 Mile 15: 9:51 Mile 16: 10:02 Mile 17: 10:06 Mile 18: 10:20 Mile 19: 10:32 Mile 20: 10:44 mile 21: 10:40 Mile 22: 10:53 Mile 23: 11:19 Mile 24: 11:04 Mile 25: 10:54 Mile 26: 10:32 Last .2: 2:16
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-10-14 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2011-10-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3723980

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon

Awesome!  Running every step of 26.2 is no easy accomplishment.  YOU DID IT!!  With a nice new PR too!!

Congratulations!!

2011-10-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3723980

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon
PR and running the whole way! What a great day and a great accomplishment! You did train hard for this, and in the unrelenting TX heat at that! So super congrats! Well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed