General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 20m 41s
Overall Rank = 29/114
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/22
Pre-race routine:

I prepared my stuff the day before. I got up at 5:30 arrived at 7. I set up and milled about. Regular diet.
Event warmup:

Warmup? I am out o shape and it is freezing. It is a 5+ hours race. Figured I'd warm up on the fly.
Swim
  • 38m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was off course a little here and there but I think the random buoy placement was a little longer than in 2009 when I did this before. I had a wetsuit on this time and know my swim times are faster not slower with it on but my time here was slower. But I suppose it could have been the choppy waves and my mental focus contibuting as well but anyhoo I was 3 minutes slower.
What would you do differently?:

Some glare resistant sun-goggles would help with sighting
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Wow what a debacle. I had to sit to get my suit off. The guy next to me knocked my helmet and stuff down (crowded, not his fault). Fumble to get my stuff together. take my bike off from front rather than back. stuck behind a guy walking his bike SLOW. i ran around him and past teh mount line (two others getting on meters prior to mount line - why no penalties?) foot one on my shoe - push the band broke befre i had my other foot in place. shoe flpped i almost went down. fumble to get right. struggle to get up to speed.
my trans time is one of the 3 fastest on the day but i know it was still too slow and i lost time after teh timing mat that is really part of trans.

Move with a purpose rather than try to rush.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Faster on the bike inspite of the wind. I couldn't find one of my non vented shoe inserts and that foot remained frozen for nearly 40 miles After a slow start I rode with others when I could. I don't pace well on my own and to make it worse my computer wasn't working. I rode laps 2 and 3 with the women's leaders. I drank 24 oz home made nutrition drink on the first lap. took a 20 oz water bottle for the second. Rational Brue's race plan was to take a new bottle on the third but irrational Brue in the race said we didn't need a new bottle we have enough left. So I made a quick turn around and picked up a couple hundred yards. Toward teh end of the lap I remembered why we have a race plan.

Stick to the plan. AI should have worn socks since I couldn't find insert. Don't be so cheap and get a reliable computer.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Slow to get socks and shoes on. Not a real problem because I knew it was important to be comfortable. I took off my shirt as per race plan. I then remembered I was going to take a snickers out of the back pocket and fumble around for it, couldn't get it easily and I threw it down. I ends up I could have just left eh shirt on.

Move with a purpose don't rush.
Run
  • 1h 55m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

WINDY. I did not approach the run competitively. I have been way down in training for over a year due to an injury that continue to plague me. I Chose to just go for a run. I was hoping for an 8:30 pace or so. By the half way point I was around and 8:15 pace but when I turned to face the wind I knew I was spent. I decided to just run. I got more and more tired and sore. I was really hungry. I decide to cheer for everyone going out while I was coming in to keep my mind occupied and my spirits up. I gave a strong (not sprint) finish. I headed straight for the food.

Bonus - there were super heroes at the turn around aid station.

Get healthy. I plan to do that this fall.
Post race
Warm down:

Sloppy Joes. (Is that a warm down?)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Low training volume. No rides above 40 miles for over a year. Half running distance. No 13+ runs since April.

Event comments:

The best thing about this race is cost. Most half Irons are 5 times as much money to do. There are not the bells and whistles of the branded races but I will take cost savings over frills. The sloppy joes at the end and the life lessons I learned were the highlights.
I wish HFP would do a better job with results

Last updated: 2011-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 28/114
Performance: Below average
Suit: vortex sleeveless
Course: two lop rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:32
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:42:51 | 56 miles | 20.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/22
Overall: 27/114
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 3 loops with a spur in each. half flat, half rolling hills. one 1mile section an gravel road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:55:32 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 51/114
Course: out and back x2. mostly pavement, some grass and a touch of concrete.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-15 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Ironman Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed