World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 00m 11s
Overall Rank = 467/1918
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 116/240
Pre-race routine:

Up early at 3:45am for breakfast. Had some cereal (mix of rice chex and wheaties fuel) with banana and rice milk. Proceeded to drink some coconut water and then head out the door with some race drink mix of EFS and carbo pro. Got the transition by 5am for body marking and then off to my bike. Talked with a few folks while setting up my bike and then dropped my clothes off and headed towards the water.
Event warmup:

No warmup other than treading water for 15min in in the bay.
Swim
  • 1h 02m 24s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I headed to the water to pros were just about to start. The crowd was pumped, the drums and Hawaiian dancers were really loud, and the helicopters were buzzing above. The entrance to dig me beach is really small so as everyone started to funnel down the stairs into the water it got really bottlenecked. I worked my way into the water with 15mins to spare so I was forced to tread water for awhile. I lined up to the right of the Ford Explorer in the water and 2nd row front frm the start. The throngs of swimmers slowly crowded the area as the start got closer which made treading tougher and tougher. The refs on surfboards worked hard to keep people back and it seemed like the drums kept getting louder. Before the cannon went off I looked backed at the town one more time to see a sea of people everywhere screaming and jumping up and down. The sun was coming up behind us over the mountain and then all of a sudden the cannon went off.

I had to start off with a polo swim for a few seconds to locate a spot to settle in to. The water had some decent chop but being in the middle of a large group seemed to nulify the effects for most of the swim. After the initial initial chaos of the start it was still tight for space but much more controlled and it would stay like this the rest of the swim.

I had a leaky goggle early which caused me to slow twice to empty out b/c the salt water was rough on the eyes. Letting the water ouot turned in so a difficult task b/c people were right on my feet. I managed to extend my stroke long enough with my right arm to drain the left side of my googles. After that I stayed in a good groove and only got bunched up when a wave came at us slowing everyone up and causing a temporary pile up.

Once at the boat to turnaround things got hectic again b/c you had a large group of people swimming wide until the boat where everyone tried to converge as close to the turn buoy as possible. Its like 5 lanes on the hwy quickly reducing to 2. I got spooked a bit at the boat b/c I saw something black below me in the water and it took me a second to realize it was a scuba diver with a camera. After the turnaround the group widen back out and the swim got less crowded. On the last 20min of the swim I noticed my swinskin had worn some raw spots under my arms and that started to become very uncomfortable in the salt water. I did my best to focus on my stroke and check out the sea life under water. The water was so clear you could see every detail under the water. I did get spooked a few other times in the swim when the ocean floor disappeared and it was only deep blue. I am afraid of sharks so that was a little scary to me.

As we reentered the bay we managed to catch a couple of waves they helped us surge to the swim exit. As I ran up the stairs to T1 there were swimmers coming out all around me in large packs. This was definitely new territory b/c when you swim around an hour in a regular IM its not so crowded when you exit.
What would you do differently?:

Lube my arms better to avoid rubbing on the swim skin.
Transition 1
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

Felt I moved well thru T1 but it was crowded so it took me a few minutes to get organized. Once out of the changing tent it was a long way around the bikes to get to your own. I probably spent most of the time running in T1.

I missed the sun blocked people on my way out.
Bike
  • 5h 25m
  • 112 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the area of IM racing that always makes me nervous. Biking is the longest leg of the race and its almost my weakest of the 3. I tend to worry about mechanical issues along with going too hard early and ruining the rest of my race. I did have a solid bike in IMTX but my bike training for Kona consisted on a 100mile ride, an 80 mile ride, and two 70mile rides. Everything else was 30-50mile efforts. I really struggled to get motivated to bike and when I did the heat really beat me down.

So, my plan was to take the first 2hours ez to have plenty of energy to climb to Hawi and power back with a steady effort. the first 10miles thru town was really soft pedaling and soaking up the love from the crowd. Others around me had different plans b/c the masses on the bike were hammering as if in a sprint race. Once out on the queen K it was more of the same early on. I rarely past anyone while people continuously passed me. I really thought I was riding a trainer b/c i couldnt believe how far I was falling back to tons on men and women as well. However, I resisted the urge to chase people and instead enjoyed the scenery and focused on my nutrition.

My nutrition plan was to take in 2000cal on the bike. I had two 24oz bottles of EFS/carbo pro mix with 450cal each. I would also eat two EFS gel flasks with 400cal each. I started the bike with one bottle and one flask and would pickup the others in Hawi. I also took in about 14 metasalt pills and lots of water via the aero bottle that I topped off at each aid station. Lastly, I grabbed 2 bottles of coke along the way to slam thru the aid station for a few extra calories and caffiene.

The way out to Hawi was full on rollers in the hot sun. By the time we started the long climb to Hawi the heat was building along with the wind. During that time I really had to pee and was unable to on the bike. I made the decision to stop at an aid station which cost me maybe 3min but
made my bladder very grateful.

After the brief stop I was ready to roll. I immediately started to ride harder and move past riders. The wind continued to build on the climb and as we neared the town of Hawi the wind was really howling. By now the pros were bombing down the road back to town and soon after followed the top AGers who were killing it. It was a great mental break to check out how the pro races were shaking out on the 2nd half of their bike. Once I reached Hawi the winds were making it hard to hear and stuff was blowing all of the roads. Even though I had on 2 small items in the special needs bag I stopped to avoid getting blown off the road. I quickly changed out my bottle and flask and was off. One of the highlights of the bike was the fact that my extra drink bottle was ice cold. I froze the sports drink bottle the night before in a camelback podium bottle and wrapped it in foil before I dropped my bag off before the race. I was still slushy 5hrs later in the hot sun.

Once I started m descent from Hawi (exactly 3hrs on the bike at this point) I got into 53-11 on the gearing and floored it. Over the next 10miles or so I flew past most folks. I had to battle several big gusts but staying aero made it not so scary. I was really feeling good on the bike at this point.

Right before getting back on the queen K there was one final climb that was a killer. This hill was really taking its toll on people and I was no different. By now the sun was in full effect and I was roasting with no sunscreen from T1. Once on the queen K it was non stop rollers and a mild but steady wind the whole way back to town. I rode the queen k in the small ring with a high cadence until I hit the airport where the big ring was comfortable again to use. Even though I was in the small ring I was consistently dropping riders with vary few passing me.

The easy answer is bike more. However, race wise I followed my plan with a slow build and stayed aero over most sections so I am really pleased.
Transition 2
  • 05m 22s
Comments:

I was so happy to roll onto the carpet of T2. From doing such a good job staying aero my back was really stiff when I got off the bike. Not to mentioned my neck was super stiff as well. The run around transition is like a lap around the track. Once in the changing tent I gather my wits and made sure I had all my stuff. I made sure to lube up with sun screen this time.

not much
Run
  • 3h 22m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

When it comes to triahtlon racing, i can't wait to get off the bike and run. Running is my strongest leg and to me its the most challenging. With the heat and hills I knew this run course would probably be extra tough.

As soon as I ran out of T2 the crowds were massive and they got me fired up. My legs felt so fresh which caused me to really take off. I was blowing past people with a huge smile on my face. As I started the out and back I first saw Amber at this point which was a great sight to see. By then I passed mile 1 and saw I clocked a 6:20pace. I realized that was way too fast so I immediately slowed down.

I settled into a nice of low 7min miles along Ali'i. The first 10miles has its share of climbs but the spectators cheering make them no so bad. The sun was blazing early in the run so it was really hot running along the shore. I did my best to move around the road hit to shaded spots as I came across them. As I would hit each aid station I would take in water and ice along with either coke or perform. I manage to continue to trend of taking in salt tabs as well. I would also hit the sponges and carry a cup of ice from station to station. I managed to run thru most stations for the first half of the marathon.

Once I hit the 5mile turnaround on Ali'i I seemed to pickup the pace to Palani. I felt really good until the climb. Palani is not long but its really steep as soon as you turn onto it. I looked up the hill the see just about everyone walking up it. I did my best to shuffle up as it just did not seem like I was running. The people along Palani where packed in and did a great job helping everyone crest the top.

As soon as we made the left onto the queen K the atmosphere changed. The crowds were gone and the roads opened up to lots of scenery. The ocean breeze finally started to hit us vs to stagnet, humid air we had to cope with on Ali'i. It was on the queen K were you felt you really needed to focus to stay in your groove and keep moving. About now all the pros where rolling back to town and we got to see the fron of the women's race. Even more impressive was seeing the top AGers breathing down their necks.

The queen K seemed to roll on forever to the energy lab. It felt like it was uphill the entire way and I just kept praying i would see the solar panel of the lab soon. I finally started to walk a few aid stations but did a good job to getting rolling again quickly. As we closed in the lab the clouds from the mtns had rolled in to spare us some heat.

I was so thrilled to crest the last hill on the queen K to see the solar panels and make a left into the energy lab. I checked my watch to see I had hit mile 16 in 2hr flat (7:30pace) so I was pleased. However, it was in the lab that I really started to feel the wear and tear from the day. I rolled down the lab road to the turnaround where I hopped into a pottie for a quick break. The heat in the pottie was almost enough to make we pass out. I managed to get back to running in less than a minute but it was not long before what I would consider the hardest part of the race. The last mile of the energy lab is an uphill climb with your back to the ocean so you feel no breeze. I started to get very woozy near the top and had to stop at the aid station to cool off and hit the calories hard. I really felt like I might crack at this point b/c I was so weak.

After I got my head on straight, I proceeded to start the last 7mile run back to town. I started to pick the pace again b/b it seemed like we were running downhill. By now my legs were completely shot and my right achilles was getting very tender. I continued to just run and focus on the people in front of me. The last climb on the queen K before Palani sucked. As I bitched about it to the guy next to me he said "wait until you have to run down Palani!". I thought to myself, "Palani is downhill so it can't be that bad."

It was now time for the Palani plunge and man it hurt. Your quads are trashed so this was a cruel prize for getting to run downhill. I did my best to block out the pain and haul ass to try to break 10hrs. Once down Palani its a short loop around a few streets to hit Ali'i.

Once on Ali'i, someone yelled we had 2mins before 10hrs. I hit the gas as best I could but in the end I would come up short. My only regret was worrying more about a sub 10 vs soaking up the final run down Ali'i. I honestly don't remember much about it as it was a blur. As I came into the chute it was packed with racers trying to break 10hrs. I slowed as I knew I would come up short and I didnt want to cross the line in a pack. The short incline up the ramp to the finish was one last test of pain and then it was over. I was thrilled to be done and the crowds around us made you really feel special. All I wanted at this point was food!

lube my crotch to avoid so much chaffing
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled to the athlete area to gobble down some pizza, ice cream, and fluids. After collecting my stuff i rounding up the family we headed to Lava Java for dinner and spectator watching on the run course. After dinner I was so chaffed in my shorts the mile walk to my condo was pure hell. Once back in the room a hit a short ice bath and passed out. I wanted to watch the midnight finish but the chaffing was too much to overcome. The silver lining to hitting the hay early was being up by 7am Sunday to watch NFL kicking off. I love drinking beer and watching football at 7am. We finished off the post race fun sunday night with passes to the K Swiss party. Jack Murray pulled some strings to land a bunch of passes. The event was on the water at the local club Huggos. I was open bar and the pro athletes came out in full force to unwind. I was a great time and perfect way to celebrate the race!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really think if I focused my training with written out plan to follow and emphasis the bike in my training I could get close to 9:30. No IMs next year for me but look to race IM Brazil in 2013.

Last updated: 2011-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:02:24 | 4224 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/240
Overall: 0/1918
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Torque
Course: Out and back in the ocean.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:25:00 | 112 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Short out and back in town for 10miles before hitting the queen K towards Hawi for a long out and back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:22:38 | 26.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Course: first 10miles is out and back in town in Ali'i drive followed by climb up Palani to the queen K. Then queen K to the energy lab and then back to Palani and then the final scretch down Ali'i.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-10-16 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Ford Ironman World Championship

2011-10-16 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3725560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman World Championship
Nice job!!!
2011-10-16 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Very nice race!  Super impressed!
2011-10-16 8:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Great report Todde. You never told me about the chaffing.

And dude, pee on the bike and you break 10 EASY.

Great race, I plan on being in Kona again in 2013 so we'll be there at the same time.
2011-10-16 9:14 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Nice race, enjoyed your review.  Thanks for sharing.
2011-10-17 10:46 AM

User image

Expert

Great race Todde,  you did an outstanding job as usual and hay don't sweat your training, hell you have a full time job and 2 kids as well.  You kicked as usual.

Edited by jpb0009 2011-10-17 10:46 AM

2011-10-20 2:03 PM

User image

New user

thanks for sharing your race report...you did a great job brother. it was fun to follow your race and watch you come across the finish. thanks for introducing me to the sport NWL
2011-10-20 9:36 PM

congrats!!!   huge accomplishment
2011-10-21 3:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Great Race! (Great report too...) Well done on such an epic event! Smile
2011-10-21 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Nice Race! Heck of a run out there!
2011-10-21 11:36 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

WOW!  5.5 seconds less in each transition and you would've broke 10 hours!!

Great job all around!

2011-11-21 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX

Great job on such a tough course & conditions, and first-class competition.

Some things never change; it wouldn't be a jwithyco race unless there was an issue with bowels or bladder,

(Sorry about the late reading and post, but this RR slipped past my radar.)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman World Championship Rss Feed