General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Beginner needs help finding a bike! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-16 12:05 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Help - Beginner needs help finding a bike!

I am going to add tris to my racing next year and need help getting started. I am trying to find a bike and just feel so overwhelmed! My budget is about $800 for the bike itself. I think I'm going to go with a road bike for my first bike in case I decide tris just aren't my cuppa. I am open to new or used. What are some bikes to keep an eye out for? What are some to stay away from? Aside from good fit & comfort, are there things to look for when I test a bike?

I'm only 4'11" and live in a rather small town (Jackson, MS) so the market for used bikes in my size (XS or 44-48) seems to be somewhat limited and the two shops in the area don't carry much in my size for me to test. I tested one road bike (don't recall which, since I just was comparing it to a used tri bike at the time to see difference in handling) at a local shop yesterday and I felt comfortable on it but the gear shifts were problematic for me. If I recall correctly, they didn't have any other road bikes in my size on hand. I feel like I'm going into this so blind!

Thanks in advance for help!

2011-10-16 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3725604

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Subject: RE: Help - Beginner needs help finding a bike!

Do you have anyone knowledgeable to go with you to bike shop? Or try watching craigslist and ebay for good bike.  I need a bike but I trying to hold out till tax time to buy.  Im just using a cheap walmart road bike at the moment.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=271697&posts=1&start=1

Just saw this on the classified board. Might be about your size, yeah?

Edited by DigitalRain 2011-10-16 12:50 PM
2011-10-16 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
There are actually 3 shops in the area...The Bike Rack, Indian Cycle, and The Bike Crossing ( new shop in Madison) I'm also looking and also feel overwhelmed.

Edited by michael_runs 2011-10-16 4:18 PM
2011-10-16 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste (Siberia) Marie
I got my start on a Gary Fisher that I picked up for around $650, added a set of clip-on aeros, different seat, water bottle cage, and a bike computer and ended up around $775. I still have the bike and use it for commuting and racing sprint tris.
2011-10-16 8:45 PM

User image

Elite
I would search the internet to educate yourself on bikes: sizing, drive trains, differences etc before you buy. Good luck
2011-10-16 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3725619

User image

New user

Thanks for the link!

2011-10-16 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3725783

User image

New user

michael_runs - 2011-10-16 4:17 PM There are actually 3 shops in the area...The Bike Rack, Indian Cycle, and The Bike Crossing ( new shop in Madison) I'm also looking and also feel overwhelmed.

Thanks Michael! I didn't know about the new one in Madison.

2011-10-16 10:48 PM

Regular

I also am new to tri and finding a bike was really difficult.  I thought the swim training would be hard, but wow, there is a lot of craziness with finding a decent bike.  Just a new entry level road bike is $800.  What I did, was to find my fit using some measuring guides on the internet.  I can't remember the site, but there was one where you measured about 8 different body lengths to get a fit. Then I used a craigslist app for my phone and set up some search criteria for bikes in all the major areas around me.  Every new post that matched my search came as soon as it was posted.  If I saw one I liked, I did a quick internet search for reviews and current pricing. 

It took about a month, but I finally found an old Kestral, full carbon frame, dura ace components, along with shoes and pedals for $500.  I even took in a wheel to a bike shop to see if they needed to be upgraded and the guy said they were top of the line, just about 10 years old though. So sure, it's old, but it fit my budget and now I have a base to figure out what I want later when, or if, I upgrade. 

Everyone kept saying I had to test ride a bunch of bikes, which I did, but it still didn't help.  Like anything, I think you really start to know what you want or not want after a ton of time using a particular item. Just like my car, which we test drove and everything was great.  But after a year, there are features I now wish I had and some I don't.  So getting a decent used bike saved me money, is competitive enough for my first races, and is helping me understand what I will be after on my next purchase.  Good luck and be patient. 

Oh, and while being patient, I bought a $50 old Schwinn 10 speed which weighs 40 pounds.  And though it really sucks, it was functional and a great temporary trainer (especially going up hills and headwinds).

2011-10-17 4:45 AM
in reply to: #3726131

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
kilgoretrout - 2011-10-16 11:48 PM

I can't remember the site, but there was one where you measured about 8 different body lengths to get a fit.

google "Competitive Cyclist bike fit"

Oh, and while being patient, I bought a $50 old Schwinn 10 speed which weighs 40 pounds.  And though it really sucks, it was functional and a great temporary trainer (especially going up hills and headwinds).

IMHO this is a good way to start. Until you have a thousand miles of cycling under you, a fancy-pants bike won't make much difference. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Beginner needs help finding a bike! Rss Feed