Breakfast: 1 Ensure, two toasts, 1 Banana, 1 Gatorade
Event warmup:

No Warm up
Swim
  • 44h 50m
  • 1900 yards
  • 2h 21m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time using wet suit. Had very serious calf cramp when removing wetsuit that resulted in having to walk to T1 (500 meters away) and affected rest of race. Did help on bike by not being able to "push" too hard and kept me well under goal HR.
What would you do differently?:

Don't use freaking Wetsuit again, unless absolutely necessary, or practice how to take it off.
Transition 1
  • 08m
Comments:

Calf hurt pretty bad. Took my time to let it heal a bit before getting on the bike.
Bike
  • 2h 30m
  • 42.5 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Excellent ride. HR stayed below goal HR (Top of Z1) for most of the ride, although average speed was as expected. Hills at opposite sides of each lap raised HR considerably, but recovery was fast. Had very strong head winds on last lap that slowed the ride considerably to about 11 mph with an increase in HR of about 10-15 bpm.

Liquids taken (Accelerade and water) alternated every 15 minutes. Must increase food intake considerably during ride. Doing this whole thing on a cliff bar during the ride, and a power gel during the run doesn't cut it. I felt too good during the ride so I didn't feel the need to eat. I ended up the event with two extra cliff bars and two power gels in my jersey.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Took it very easy on T2. No rush.

Take more seriously and do it properly
Run
  • 51h 53m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 8h 22m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Very hot! and no water stations other than the one at the transition area. Althought the conditions of the run were announced in advance I failed to take water with me.

Take more nutrition. Only had a power gel with some water begining the run, and didn't have water again until reaching the transition area again about 24 minutes later. It was too hot.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a drill race as I'm training for a Half-Ironman in May. Had to constantly remind myself of that, and hold back no to go over my planned efforts. As a newbie, I sprayed Pam all over to ensure the wetsuit will come off easily (didn't want to take any chances, and thought spraying only the joints wouldn't be enough). The oil didn't wash off as I expected and remained on during the rest of the race. I felt hot during the ride, and it got REALLY BAD during the run. I was getting COOKED and burned bad because of the PAM oil. It felt like someone had a torch all over me during the run.

Event comments:

Race was originally scheduled to be an official event, but because of lack of support from the Puerto Rico Department of Natural Resources by not providing the permits for the swim the official event had to be cancelled and instead the race director, James Rawie, made it a personally sponsored event with the help of local businesses.

Last updated: 2004-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
44:50:00 | 1900 yards | 2h 21m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Jump of James Rawie's Pier pier towards island, 4 laps around island and return
Start type: Dive Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 08:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:30:00 | 42.5 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course was 4 loops of 10 miles each. Very good course that included two big hills, and two medium hills. Half the course was almost flat with a slight elevation all the way for 4 miles with a head wind that got stronger on each lap. The second half of the course was very flat and fast with a strong tail wind (until you reached the big hill at the end of the lap)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
51:53:00 | 06.2 miles | 8h 22m 06s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Good, couple of small hills. Open road, no shade.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No