Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation
Total Time = 3h 45m 6s
Overall Rank = 267/1331
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 43/157
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15. Ate a bagel with peanut butter. Washed it down with a gatorade. Out the door at 5:25.
Event warmup:

Got to the race around 6. Parked the car and stayed in the car until around 6:15 to stay warm. Walked over to gear check, checked my bag in. Decided I was still cold, so I went into the building and tried to stay warm. Ran into Mark(M.A.Burghart), and I chatted with him and Rachel and pointed them to the gear check. Started to walk toward the start around 6:45 and took down a Gatorade Prime and found the bathroom one last time.
Run
  • 3h 45m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon. I had a plan in place, but I definately had a plan B, which was to cross the finish line with a smile. I lined up with the 3:50 pacers. I planned on hanging with them so I didnt go out to fast, and I wanted to get up the biggest hill at mile 3 without burning my legs. It went exactly as planned.

The next piece of the plan was to leave them behind and run based on how I felt. I spent the next 13 or so miles running and chatting with a great guy from SE Kansas. It was his 3 year running this race and he knew the course well. The miles went by so fast.

Before I knew it we were around mile 18, he was starting to fade, and he needed to use the facilities. He told me good luck and I was on my way. At this point I was feeling great. I was even a little upset with myself, because I was feeling so good.

I turned my Ipod on for the first time, and picked the pace up even more. The next 6 miles were very uneventful. I was passing people left and right. I was surprised how many walkers there were on the last 4 miles.

At mile 25 I turned my Ipod off and just wanted to soak in the atmosphere. The crowds were great the whole way, but the rush you get as you are closing in on the finish line is the absolute best.

I crossed the finish line with a flying leap(dont know why I thought this was a good idea), just as the clock said 3:46:00. I knew I had run the exact race I had planned on since I knew it had taken us at least a minute to cross the start line.

What would you do differently?:

Not trust the Garmin. My watch was telling me I was at a 8:29 pace at the end and that the course was 26.5 miles. It was really screwing my math up along the way.

Other than that, it was a perfectly executed race plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my wife and daughter. Gave them a kiss and got a quick picture.

Heard Reecealan, and Jayhox cheering for me as I crossed the finish line. Thanks guys!

Grabbed a chocolate milk, my shirt and medal.

Had a beer with Reecealan, and Jayhox, and grabbed a table with my wife and daughter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience.

Event comments:

Awesome race and experience. Great RD, volunteers, and fan support.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-08-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:45:06 | 26.2 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/157
Overall: 267/1331
Performance: Good
5K 0:28:43 5K Pace 9:16 10K 0:54:24 10K Pace 8:47 13.1 (marathon only) 1:55:18 13.1m Pace (marathon only) 8:49 21m (marathon only) 3:01:08 21m Pace (marathon only) 8:38 Finish 3:45:06 Overall Pace 8:36
Course: Downtown Kc, Westport, Plaza, Waldo, Brookside and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes