Salisbury University
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0510 and Rob arrives at 0530. Got to Salisbury around 0730. Coffee and PB bagel in the car.
Bike
  • 5h 10m
  • 100 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Well that was interesting. My first Seagull Century (aren't there a lot of cyclists in MD, VA, DC) and - to coin a soccer phrase - it was a game of two halves. For 60 miles it was lovely - wind mostly at the back and humming along at 21.5mph average (with looks of disgust from the roadies as Rob and I were in full TT kit) ... then the rest stop. Rob doesn't go over the bridge - I wait for 40 mins thinking he has flatted or keeled over in the gutter (one trip back to the base of the bridge to check if I need to give CPR) then give up and head back. Winds on the short section to the bridge (again) and then over are completely scary - hanging in there with my HED6s and my 136lbs !

Then into the wind for the next 40 miles it seems. So the average goes down and down. Carried on passing loads of people who were suffering more than me. But my legs are completely trashed and so the brick run becomes far more of a lesson in not pushing on the bike than it needed to be.

Actually the whole day is a great wake up call for IMFL. I guess the winds COULD be that brutal and 'lengthy' in PCB if they are out of the West or East but let's hope not. If they are I certainly can't hope to push that much on the bike and still manage a decent Marathon time. After 4 miles I was feeling it in my legs.

So it is all good training, all good learning for Florida.
Post race

Last updated: 2011-09-25 12:00 AM
Biking
05:10:00 | 100 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-10-16 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
Subject: Sea Gull Century

2011-10-16 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3725960

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Sea Gull Century

Oh, if you were one of those guys in full TT kit, I think I was one of the roadies who was looking on in disgust.  Only briefly, though, as you were probably were one of those folks who sounded like an approaching car with the whirring wheels, then were gone in a flash.

2011-10-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3725960

User image

Well that doesn't narrow it down as there were three or four full blown TT bike pace lines (DAs, Shivs, other high end types) running by at mach snot.

I used them as a shopping list, "I want one of those... two of those... What the heck is THAT?"

2011-10-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3726406

User image

Master
University Park, MD

DanielG - 2011-10-17 10:01 AM Well that doesn't narrow it down as there were three or four full blown TT bike pace lines (DAs, Shivs, other high end types) running by at mach snot. I used them as a shopping list, "I want one of those... two of those... What the heck is THAT?"

Well, if folks are riding in full TT rigs in pace lines, then they should be assigning themselves drafting penalties.

I saw a few cases of a person on a fancy TT set-up riding without drafting, but carrying a line of "hitchhikers" in his/her wake.

2011-10-17 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3727092

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
colinphillips - 2011-10-17 3:20 PM

DanielG - 2011-10-17 10:01 AM Well that doesn't narrow it down as there were three or four full blown TT bike pace lines (DAs, Shivs, other high end types) running by at mach snot. I used them as a shopping list, "I want one of those... two of those... What the heck is THAT?"

Well, if folks are riding in full TT rigs in pace lines, then they should be assigning themselves drafting penalties.

I saw a few cases of a person on a fancy TT set-up riding without drafting, but carrying a line of "hitchhikers" in his/her wake.

Yeah, yeah.  That was me.  Er ... well not all the time.  I confess to having a few easy moments now and then - but always in the bull horns, officer, and never in aero.  And when I was in aero I certainly had a few hitching a ride behind.  Lots of fun.  Until we turned. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sea Gull Century Rss Feed