Rocky Mount Endurance Club
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 23m 45s
Overall Rank = 25/128
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 7/28
Pre-race routine:

Arrived Friday evening. My parents drove their RV up and were camping for the weekend (and volunteering for the race!). We all stayed in the RV. 4 adults, 2 kids, and one dog. We put our dog in the crate in the car overnight. We had a nice pasta dinner, then walked up to the big meadow where some astronomers had their huge telescopes. That was too cool, to see 4 of Jupiter's moons! To bed about 10, rested pretty well.
Up at 5 to the alarm, ate PBBH sandwich, made potty break, then went back to bed until 6:30.
Event warmup:

Went for 25 minute mountain bike ride to loosen up my legs, then went back to RV. Changed into run clothes, got ready, and walked to the start with Marshall and Lainey. Warmup consisted of about 300 yards of an easy jog to the starting area.
Run
  • 4h 23m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Incredibly hard to be a good trail runner when you don't run on trails very often. I felt absolutely great for the first lap, content in the small pack of 5 in 4th-8th place. Had it not been for my left hamstring giving up the ghost midrace, it would've been a good day.

I considered calling it done after lap 2, but figured I had paid my money, and if nothing else, I could walk it all the way in from there. It was a pretty course. So I bargained with myself; walk to 24.2 and run it in from there, regardless of what hurt. So I did. I repassed 5 people during those last 2 miles :)
What would you do differently?:

a lot
Post race
Warm down:

It being a state park, I did not knowingly consume any alcohol :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

terrible hamstring issues

Event comments:

Great course. Could have used another water station out there. Long stretches of nobody. And I heard EMS did not arrive for course support.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:23:45 | 26.2 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 25/128
Performance: Below average
I was having a good run until shortly into the 2nd (of 3) laps. I was 1:03 and change through the first lap. I was 3:13:52 through 21.2 miles. Then I was done. I was actually done with any sort of speed at about mile 14, when I had to pull up and walk the uphills (there are many) and most of the flats. I could run downhill okay. So, through 21.2, I was holding a 9:09. I walked 90% of mile 20.2 and all of miles 21.2, 22.2, 23.2, and 24.2. Mile 25.2 was a 10:58, and the last mile was a 9:20 and change. I was ready to be done.
Course: I can't do it justice. Very beautiful, but EVERY footstep was technical. I had a big faceplant at mile 20 that convinced me that I was not able to run this course any longer.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-10-16 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Medoc Trail Marathon

2011-10-16 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3725963

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Medoc Trail Marathon
Sounds like the race was not ideal? Sorry to hear it. Waiting for the details, Mr. Brevity! Not good to read "hamstring issues" in a race report :-
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medoc Trail Marathon Rss Feed