General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pumpkinman Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder City, Nevada
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m
Overall Rank = 30/435
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 6:00am and rode bike down the hill to T1 and got set up.
Event warmup:

Couldn't go for a jog like usual because running shoes were at T2 in a completely different place, just got everything set up, put on the wetsuit and went for a couple short swims. I felt a bit panicky at first, probably due to wetsuit tightness and how warm the water was, but I was able to calm down.
Swim
  • 15m 52s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall good swim. I still need quite a bit of work to really compete for an overall.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong Transition area. Felt like I was running forever with the bike. Also not a lot of room to run, barely room for two people along the racks. Bike start was a bit uphill. Fortunately I was in the right gear and didn't have trouble getting going.
What would you do differently?:

Overall a good T1
Bike
  • 49m 51s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course was poorly marked in a couple spots. Two turns weren't marked at all. Tons of people missed one turn, I missed it but turned around when several people started coming back yelling that we missed a turn. Overall I only lost about a minute or so. Some lost a good deal more.

Considering there was no way I could have possibly figured out where that turn was, no complaints on the bike course.

One of my long term goals is a top AG bike split, I was 2nd this time, only getting beat by the guy who won the overall, who absolutely crushed me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Another looooooong transition area. Snuck up on me a bit, almost didn't get my shoes off in time, but managed. It felt like longer than 1:09. I had trouble getting my shoes on.

I need some new racing shoes. Tongue got folded up on my left shoe and gave me a nasty blister on the top of my left foot. I want to look into some shoes that have tri specicic tongues so this doesn't happen. I didn't get quite enough water on the bike due to all the climbing at the end. I couldn't resist taking a swig in T2 which is a no-no.
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I was still a bit rattled from the mix up on the bike course, but got my head back where it needed to be in a couple minutes. Overall I think the people ahead of me were worse off than I was, so it probably helped me out a bit.

Blister from my shoes not good.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race massage and some stretching. Lots of laying around, drinking beer and coffee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim is still my achilles heel, although I am still steadily improving. Awesome bike leg and a decent run. AG Winner!!!!!!!!!

Event comments:

Packet pick up was a mess. I waited in line for an hour to get a race packet. That combined with the mystery turn on the bike course made a lot of people unhappy. Otherwise the race went well, especially considering the logistical issues with two seperate transition areas. Cool Shirt!

Last updated: 2011-10-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:52 | 820 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 158/435
Performance: Good
I didn't feel confident until about halfway through the swim when I found a nice groove. Swim course wasn't too crowded, and I liked the rectangular design. It made sighting easier.
Suit: Yes - Full
Course: Rectangular - enjoyable swim course aside from the warm water. I enjoyed that the water was fairly clear and shallow at the start, could see the bottom for quite a ways. I also was able to pick up a cement curb on the bottom from the boat dock for at least 100yds at the end and followed that in at the end.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:09
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:51 | 12.4 miles | 14.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 20/435
Uphill. Very difficult bike course. T2 was 2000+ feet higher than T1.
Wind: None
Course: Rollers, followed by 6 miles of climbing.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:09 | 03.11 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 34/435
Course: Fairly flat course, poured water on my head at the water station out and back, and drank a swallow of water. The uphill bike course took its toll on my legs. I didn't have a stellar run. My race plan was to crush the bike as much as possible, so I had a feeling this would be the case. Judging from the times, everyone was in the same boat though, and my bike split made the difference in the race for me so no complaints.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-10-17 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-10-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3727032

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great report and congrats on the AG win!  The bike leg is CLIMBTASTIC!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed