United States
DRC Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 32m 25s
Overall Rank = 168/241
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Event warmup:

Nothing really, just some light stretching and chatting with friends/family that travelled up there to keep the pre-race nerves calm.
Swim
  • 44m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had some difficulty spotting the buoys, a problem shared by other competitors. There was a slight current pushing from the north (left to right when viewed from the beach) that was pushing us off course from time to time. Ocean swell was relatively calm with a 1'-2' swell rolling in. I ran into the water and got myself out of rythm and breath right off the bat, not my typical start, as I usually wade in and try to work my way through the pack once its thinned out. Once I regained my composure I was fine.
What would you do differently?:

Probably work on my start during the off season. Maybe do some sprints before practice to get myself out of breath to mimic this feeling come race day. Something I need to work on...being in the mix with other swimmers freak me out in the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

My stomach got a little upset from the rolling of the ocean I guess. I had to stop for about a minute once I entered the transition area to keep from ralphing. I had some trouble getting my wetsuit off of my ankle where my chip was strapped.

I don't know if there's anything I can do to improve on this. I usually have a pretty good T1. I think a combination of bad luck on this one. Not going to fret over it.

I also was racing in a pair of shoes that were only about 2 weeks old so I took the time to put on some socks just in case to protect against blisters or chaffing.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice bike course. Scenic at times, no debris. I think it was a LITTLE short according to my Garmin. Pretty strong headwind the last 10 miles or so.

Not too much. I was pretty happy with my bike. There are just others that are faster than me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Felt this was a pretty good T2 for me.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 56m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Running has always been my problem, and looking at the splits for this race, it continues to kill me. Hamstring was a bit tight coming off the bike for the first 3 miles so I wasted ALOT of time walking and stopping to stretch it out. Eventually got it worked out and shortened my stride for the remainder of the run.

I need to desperately work on my run in the off season. I'll never be fast enough in all three sports to place, but its frustrating to fall apart on the run in every race and see those in my age group pass me easily. Something to work on...
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, water, coke, sports drinks, pizza and fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My first time racing at this distance. Run was frustrating, but I learned alot, I plan on returning to this race next year and seeing how much I can improve.

Event comments:

I had a great time at this race. I used it as a warm up for IM Florida, having never done a half or full IM distance I wanted to double check just in case I have any last minutes tweaks I need to make. I think I'm ready, I'll be slow, it will be painful, but I think I'll make it.

Anyone out there that is looking to do a half iron distance course that isn't looking for an IM branded race, do this one! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last updated: 2011-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:41 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 0/241
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Ocean swim consisting of an inverted triangle. 3 buoys per leg to mark the course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:23 | 56 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A winding course, very smooth roads and very little traffic. We even had two lanes of a four lane road closed to vehicles for us for a few miles. The roads that were open to vehicles had volunteers and/or police to control traffic flow. Vehicles on the course were very considerate of those racing. Volunteers at the aid stations passing out water and sports drink were great, some even running with the bike to make a smooth pass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:56:03 | 13.1 miles | 13m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/13
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice course. The first 3 miles were out in the sun through a residential area. Some homeowners turned their sprinklers on (avoidable if you wanted) but a nice relief if you wanted to take advantage. The majority of the last 10 miles was a very prety shaded course. Plenty of aid stations with water, gels, coke, sponges, and sports drink. Volunteers were AWESOME! Small bridge around mile 7 or 8.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-18 12:54 PM

Pearland, Ohio
Subject: Atlantic Coast Triathlon

2011-10-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3728560

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Atlantic Coast Triathlon
Nice race! I agree on the bike distance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic Coast Triathlon Rss Feed