General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carpinteria, California
United States
Carpinteria Triathlon
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 13m 33s
Overall Rank = 203/
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 17/
Pre-race routine:

My friend and former TNT teammate, Holly, and I had a bet going on for this race since we're pretty competitive with each other. Whoever won bought the other person In-N-Out, She had to get within 10 minutes of my time in order to win. It was a friendly wager, a little bit of motivation in order to get us both to train seriously. I still didn't take it all that seriously. Read the rest for more on this...

Woke up at a friend's place in Camarillo and barely had anything to eat. I forgot to bring some food with me. Luckily a teammate had a snack bar and I had half. When I got to the race there was a McDonald's, but I skipped going there since I wanted to make sure I had enough time to set everything up.

Drove to the race, picked up my packet, and set up transition. It's been raining all morning, so that'll really affect the race.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up. Honestly there were so many factors against me going into this race that I just wanted to take it easy and finish. I didn't train for this race at all since it's been my off season period. All I've been doing is running with one pool workout a week.
Swim
  • 39m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I still have trouble with my open water swimming. I think my problem is that I start great, but then my form erodes over the timespan. I didn't do a lot of swimming in preparation.

Holly had a good 4 minutes on me in the swim. She's a better swimmer and every race we've been in she always beats me in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more, more open water swimming, and figure out why I'm so terrible in open water compared to in a pool. Work on that form.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Never had a problem with slow transitions.

Work on my flying mount again so I can do it.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really surprised with my time. It was much better than I expected it to be. I had ridden my bike only once before this race since Vineman, which was end of July, so my bike fitness was way down. Also that time I rode my bike was earlier in the week, two days after giving a double dose of red blood cells. I had to cut that ride short since I almost fainted. It was stupid to donate blood, but my Red Cross had the ALYX machine that week and I wanted to donate since I haven't in a long time.

I passed Holly pretty early on. Her transitions take longer and I'm much, much faster than her on the bike.

Oh yeah. I forgot to charge the battery on my Garmin so I had no bike computer. I went totally by feel for my cadence.

- Don't donate blood before a race
- Actually train for the race
- Make sure your bike computer battery isn't dead
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I think I hit the mat wrong somewhere so my T2 time is combined with my run. My transition was pretty fast, but not 1 minute.

I felt that I needed to pee, but thought that I could hold it for the run since I peed in my wetsuit before. I was wrong.
Run
  • 1h 05m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where things fall apart. My need to pee increased tenfold while on the run. Lots of things crossed my mind on top of, "This sucks!" One thought was peeing while running. For some reason I didn't the race was important for me to do that since maybe there will be a porta potty. At mile 2 it was getting serious. I thought about using a bush. Unfortunately, the run went through a neighborhood and it seemed all the neighbors were up and watering their lawns. Crap. I didn't want to get in trouble. It got so bad that I was holding my bladder area and had to walk a few times since running made it hurt more. I was given words of reassurance by other participants that I could "do it", but that left a bitter taste in my mouth. "Of course I can 'do it'. I should be able to run this no problem, but it's my bloody bladder!" I was getting frustrated.

No... porta potties...until...MILE 3. Then a woman entered just when I arrived. After she was done I rushed in, emptied the bladder, and bolted out of there. This cost me quite a few precious minutes.

After that my run was good, but could have been better. I was still feeling sore and my ankles were acting up, but after the halfway point I felt a lot better and did well on the run. I was still dealing with some tightness. In my runs post-blood donation but pre-race I was experiencing ankle soreness and shin splints, which I haven't gotten in a long while. I surmised that I needed new shoes since I racked up a lot of miles on my existing ones.

Also two days before the race I did the the Los Angeles YMCA stair climb. That's 74 flights of steps. I wasn't really sore from it, but I imagine it affected me.

Here's a quick summary of things I should have done different:

- Pee when you can
- Don't donate blood before race day
- Make sure to have broken in pair of shoes that aren't worn out
- Don't climb the tallest building in Los Angeles the same week
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a little bit to get out the muscle tightness.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Man. There's so many things, but I'll just copy them from the other segments.

- Don't donate blood before a race
- Actually train for the race
- Make sure your bike/run computer battery isn't dead
- Eat a good meal before racing. Don't forget food.
- Pee when you can
- Make sure to have broken in pair of shoes that aren't worn out
- Don't climb the tallest building in Los Angeles the same week

Event comments:

They really need more porta potties on the run...

Needless to say Holly just barely squeezed by with a minute to go. If I hadn't waited for the bathroom I'm sure I would have won, but it's all good. No use complaining since a lot of the factors that went against me were my own fault, and honestly I still would have done the stair climb and I still would have donated blood. This was a terrible race for me, but a good learning experience for next season.

Last updated: 2011-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:27 | 1640 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Beach start, single loop course and back. I was in the first wave along with a lot of women. I didn't really care for this swim. The beach in general didn't seem all that nice and the water was pretty murky.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:38 | 24.85 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop out and back that was much hillier than I thought it was gonna be. I really enjoyed the bike course. It's scenic despite the overcast skies and rain. Had to take lots of caution on the roads. A friend slipped on the bike and had to go to the hospital. He's ok though. Just some stitches.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:35 | 06.21 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back loop. The first half of the course is slightly uphill. The second half is slightly downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-18 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
Subject: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed