General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to train for first Olympic Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-18 7:13 PM

Regular
Subject: How long to train for first Olympic Tri?

I decided in August that I would do my first Tri sometime next summer.  My goal is to do an Olympic distance.  So is it realistic to set my sites on doing this size of a Tri by July?  How long did many of you take to train for an Olympic Tri, or any Tri in particular, if it was your first? 

2011-10-18 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3729138

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: How long to train for first Olympic Tri?
dedicated 12 weeks but do you already have a base?
2011-10-18 7:36 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

If you're planning (and acting on the plans) right now, then next summer should be feasible for an Oly. If you already have reasonable fitness in one or more of the three events, then it's definitely reasonable.

My first real tri (earlier this year) was an Oly. But i had the benefit of a good running background, plus a couple of years of cycling background. The big challenge was to learn to swim, and that seemed pretty daunting. But for others it can be running 10k that is the mountain to be climbed. But if you work at it over the winter, then you should be ready when the spring/summer rolls around.

2011-10-18 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ

I did the NYC tri this summer which is an oly and was in August. I had zero in the wasy of fitness and was in not such great shape this time last year. I started training after registering in october and really ramped it up around january. I finished in 3:04:56 I really wanted to be sub 3 hours but i felt great. I finished and that was a big deal for me.

Like others have said if you have a background in one of the sports that would help. I would have probably been in the 2:55 range had I been a stronger runner but now I know I have to work that much harder on my run for my first HIM in June. Best of luck to you

2011-10-18 8:20 PM

User image

Elite
Yes you can do it. For me I started about 8 months before with zero swim base , great running base , and moderate bike base..... So stop typing and start training!!! Lol ,,,, you got it... Good luck
2011-10-19 2:56 AM

User image

Honolulu
If it isn't until next summer, build your base and start oly training 12 weeks out.  You will be good!

2011-10-19 3:58 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

Most likely yes, but you really need to give more info for a proper prognostication.

It really depends on your goals (simply finish, finish in under 3hrs., finish in under 2.5hrs.?) and what your current fitness level is (20y.o. college swimmer, 55y.o. mom who just started jogging?).

Most people start off with sprint or super sprints but there is nothing wrong with doing an Oly as a 1st race. Even at Ironman race there is usually a few people who are doing it as a first triathlon.

Edited by mgalanter 2011-10-19 3:59 AM
2011-10-19 7:42 AM

Regular

Ok, well, I will give more info and maybe some can help me "build my base" as some of you stated I need to do. 

I'm 33, good weight, healthy, and have been working by lifting weights and cardio of running/walking since January.  I decided to do a Tri to challenge me since I met my other workout goals.  I am new to swimming, at least, the right way.  I'm not fond of running.  And I just got a road bike to start biking. 

So how do I make a stronger base?  I read a ton about LT and training in Zone 1 and Zone 2.  Still haven't done the test, but by what people say, my Zone 2 will peak at like 165.  So I have been trying to run in order to keep this below that number.  But at a half hour, my HR starts to dramatically increase, plus, I get bored.  So, do I slow down my speed (even though by this point, I"m running 6 mph, which is pretty slow, IMO) to keep in the zone?  Or just stop?  Is building a base dependent on time spent in the right zone, so the longer I stay there per workout, the better?  Or should I just stop at 30 minutes? 

I really want to run 5 miles, cause I never did this in my life.  But, my gosh, it seems like it will take forever and I'll be so bored I won't keep it up.  If I could go faster and complete it sooner, then that would be perfect!  I've been running 3 miles for weeks with no improvement.  So I must be doing something wrong.  Also, I get headaches when I run for a long time.  Any ideas how to stop these?

2011-10-19 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3729139

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Iowaman - 2011-10-18 8:14 PM dedicated 12 weeks but do you already have a base?

x2.

2011-10-19 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
If you really get so bored after 30 minutes of doing something that you need to stop, why do you want to do endurance sports? By definition, endurance sports involve doing something for a very long time over and over again. If you don't enjoy that what do you expect to get out of training and racing triathlons? It sounds like you have a motivation problem more than anything else.
2011-10-19 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3729519

User image

kilgoretrout - 2011-10-19 7:42 AM

Ok, well, I will give more info and maybe some can help me "build my base" as some of you stated I need to do. 

I'm 33, good weight, healthy, and have been working by lifting weights and cardio of running/walking since January.  I decided to do a Tri to challenge me since I met my other workout goals.  I am new to swimming, at least, the right way.  I'm not fond of running.  And I just got a road bike to start biking. 

So how do I make a stronger base?  I read a ton about LT and training in Zone 1 and Zone 2.  Still haven't done the test, but by what people say, my Zone 2 will peak at like 165.  So I have been trying to run in order to keep this below that number.  But at a half hour, my HR starts to dramatically increase, plus, I get bored.  So, do I slow down my speed (even though by this point, I"m running 6 mph, which is pretty slow, IMO) to keep in the zone?  Or just stop?  Is building a base dependent on time spent in the right zone, so the longer I stay there per workout, the better?  Or should I just stop at 30 minutes? 

I really want to run 5 miles, cause I never did this in my life.  But, my gosh, it seems like it will take forever and I'll be so bored I won't keep it up.  If I could go faster and complete it sooner, then that would be perfect!  I've been running 3 miles for weeks with no improvement.  So I must be doing something wrong.  Also, I get headaches when I run for a long time.  Any ideas how to stop these?

Two choices:

1) Just stop thiniking about doing endurance sports because the tears are going to blur your vision.

2) Find a way to suck it up.  The lack of focus is causing your HR to spike do to your laziness in posture and stride, keep your core engaged.  This is also causing the headaches because you are letting your head hang back, quit looking at the horizon and start looking 15-30 yrds ahead.

Best of luck,

2011-10-19 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3729714

User image

Veteran
I was thinking the same and it isn't my intention to hijack the tread so let me know if I should start a new one.  I started training for my first sprint which was in September back in April.  I finisihed at about an hour and a half and it was very hilly.  I was in the bottom 10% but not last.  I'm now doing my next one Saturday and hope to move up the ladder tremendously with the lessons learned.  After that I'm hoping to do an Oly next summer (maybe a couple sprints before) but was wondering how much time I need.  At this point I only swim up to 900 meters, biking 15 miles is easy in the hills, and running 3.5 is no sweat.  How should I go about moving to the next level?  Specifically what benchmarks in the three events in training should I be at.  I've been told informally if you are training at 110% of the distance you are golden, what say you.
2011-10-19 10:07 AM

Veteran

Should be plenty of time as your already have some good fitness (not necessarily cardio). I took 1 year to train for my first tri which was a HIM. I had not been in a pool in 20 years, never ran more than 3 miles and had a very good cycling background. I used the full IM (next year in June) and the half this past august as my fitness and weight loss motivation. In the process I have dropped 38lbs can now run 10m in about 1:15 and have become a MOP swimmer (don't put much time in this one as logistics difficult)

I agree with others in that you need to find your motivation or it just won't work. For me it was about running 5 miles, then 6, then 7, etc. Once you get the distance then it was about running it faster. Same with the bike and run. Most workouts are a challenge to imrpove your personal best from the one last month and so on. Everyone has different motivations and goals but if you don't know what they are or do not have the focus and dedication to stick to them it will not work for this sport as it is almost completly about the self

2011-10-19 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3729805

User image

Veteran
The motivation for the run was hard at first.  I was one of those instant gratification guys, but I think age matured me.  After I started minimalist running, the distances have increased frequently.  Now I'm wondering why I didn't do more triathlons when I was younger.  Oh ya, it was the booze.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long to train for first Olympic Tri? Rss Feed