General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 4 Hour Body Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-19 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Subject: 4 Hour Body

I am absolutely JACKED about the weight loss plan in Tim Ferris' book The 4 Hour Body.  I've lost 11 pounds this month after being stuck at 285ish for 2 years.  It simply boiled down to cutting out bread and sugar except for one cheat day a week.

After reading this back to myself it sounded like a commercial.  It's not, believe me. I'm just so happy to have found something that actually works for me after training my sack off for 2 years.  The book is really well set up in that you're not intended to read every chapter. You read the intro and then just the sections that apply to you.

Cheat day is pretty fun too, I overdid it a little (a lot) and it actually cured me of a lot of my desire for junk.

2011-10-19 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3729989

User image

Subject: RE: 4 Hour Body
Fatboy32 - 2011-10-19 11:32 AM

I am absolutely JACKED about the weight loss plan in Tim Ferris' book The 4 Hour Body.  I've lost 11 pounds this month after being stuck at 285ish for 2 years.  It simply boiled down to cutting out bread and sugar except for one cheat day a week.

After reading this back to myself it sounded like a commercial.  It's not, believe me. I'm just so happy to have found something that actually works for me after training my sack off for 2 years.  The book is really well set up in that you're not intended to read every chapter. You read the intro and then just the sections that apply to you.

Cheat day is pretty fun too, I overdid it a little (a lot) and it actually cured me of a lot of my desire for junk.

Maybe I'll check it out. I need to lose weight bad... I have been stuck at this weight for months! Is the book just called 4 hour body?

2011-10-19 12:01 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Thanks for the review, I got the audio and I am on disk two of three. It seems to have a ton of nutritional info of specific foods to stay away from and things you should be eating, I enjoy the practical info that Tim has put through many experiments . I will eventually get the book also!
2011-10-20 10:22 AM

Regular
Houston
Fatboy32 - 2011-10-19 11:32 AM

I got this book and lost 5 lbs a week for four weeks.  Went from 220 down to 200.  I don't follow it as much now.  With the cheat day thing, I would eat until I was almost sick.  That would make me not want to have anything bad for about a week.  Perfect.  I can tell I am still losing inches, but not as much weight now (clothes are more loose, belt is a couple notches smaller).  It talks about this in the book some.

Also I noticed that when I was doing the diet pretty hardcore, I would bonk really fast in any type of training (I didn't supplement the diet for exercise even though it is designed for someone not doing much).  I plan on hitting the diet pretty hardcore again after a couple weeks when I am done for the season. 

My goal is to get back down to 165-170.  I was there 5 years ago when I first went to college.  At that time I was on adderall, so I was never hungry.  When I got a contract with the army, I had to be off of it for a year before I could sign any papers.  I got up to 185 in that year and then when I turned 21 ... 200 lbs, real fast (alcohol apparently has a lot of calories).  During that time I went from a measured 32" waist to 36" (not pant size but actually measuring).

2011-10-26 10:10 AM

Pike NH

First my stats. I'm 64 yrs old, 6' tall and 232 lbs. I did 7 sprint tri's this season, my first year, and I'm a definite back of the packer. I bought the book and I'm reading it carefully now. I started the slow carb eating plan 2 days ago. First day I lost 2 lbs., 2nd day gained 1/2 lb. I know this is meaningless, but its my starting point.

I find the book a bit uneven. Some of the info I find compelling and useful, some of the other stuff seems far fetched and a bit egotistical. A lot of exaggerated claims are made and need to be taken with a grain of salt, the 15 minute female orgasm not least among them. The book covers every aspect of the body and promises extraordinary fat loss, muscle gain, sexual prowess, weight loss, increased strength, increased endurance, better sleep, etc The only thing it doesn't claim as far as I can tell is a 20 point jump in IQ, but I haven't finished reading it yet.

Tim Ferriss is an amusing guy and a prime example of OCD naval gazing. He has weighed, measured, parsed, examined and analyzed every part and every aspect of his body. He even confesses to weighing his s__t. I'm not kidding.

So, I'm taking the book in pieces as the author suggests and starting with the slow carb eating plan. I'll keep this link posted on my progress. I'd also like to know about progress others are making with this. Regards to all Clydes and Athenas, especially the older crowd.

2011-10-27 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City

My husband has done it and had good results (he's 6'3", about 270).  The only down side for him was it made him sweat like crazy while sleeping - he would wake up soaked every morning.

Also, I've seen how alot of medical people think this guy is a quack, but both my husband and I are doctors and we didn't read anything that was contrary to any of our training.  Nothing wrong with trying a diet and seeing how it works for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 4 Hour Body Rss Feed