Valley Isle Road Runners
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 4s
Overall Rank = 414/1097
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 28/94
Pre-race routine:

EARLY WAKE UP CALL! A 5:30 start time and wanted to be there by 4:30 to park and prep. Got up at 3:00 a.m., had smoothie prepared the night before, filled coffee cup and was ready to go.
Event warmup:

Snagged a great parking spot close to starting line, but it took a long time to get ready, hit the port-a-john, and it was time to go. Used first mile as warm up because they didn't line us up by pace, so there was a lot of bobbing and weaving until about Mile 2 when everyone stretched out.
Run
  • 2h 11m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Very happy with run time. Wanted to beat 2:15. I know I ran a negative split because I was averaging 10-10:30 on the way out, but 9-9:30 on return (forgot to hit the lap button on my Garmin - DOH!). Strong finish.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the starting chute earlier and get closer to the front. I probably could have made up some time in the early miles and come in closer to 2:00.
Post race
Warm down:

Truck was parked close to finish line - changed clothes and had Recoverite and water post-race with some fruit. Walked around and waited for my friend to come in about 15 minutes later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little more training and starting closer to the front would result in sub-2:00 1/2 marathon - my goal for the next one.

Event comments:

Very fun and festive race. Early start time makes it pleasant and cool for running. Flat course is fast!

Last updated: 2011-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:04 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/94
Overall: 414/1097
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with very slight inclines in a couple of places. Many aid stations, lots of music and festivities along the way. Great fun! Had apple cinnamon Hammer Gel with water 15 minutes prior to start, and espresso Hammer Gel (with caffeine) just before the turn around. Great timing and no stomach issues.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes