United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 54s
Overall Rank = 20/684
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, grabbed my gear and headed out the door around 5:15. Drank 10 ounces of water on the way to the race, and a Gel about 30 minutes prior.
Event warmup:

I did some active stretching and a brief easy run. Ran into Paul before the race. Hadn't seen him in a year or so. Started out the race with him.
Run
  • 45m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was flat, so I just held a 7:30 pace as I knew some big inclines were on the way. I have no hills to run in training, so I wasn't sure how I would hold up. Felt strong going up the Causeway the first time. Shortened my stride and tried not to exert to hard.

Reached the top, and coasted down the other side for the next mile. Ran a loop on Tiki Island then right back up the Causeway.

Worked to gain on the runners in front of me up the hill. Caught several. Reached the top again, and coasted down the next mile. Caught a few more ahead of me.

Tried to maintain my pace after reaching the bottom of the causeway. Still had @ 3/4 of a mile to go. Pushed hard until no one ahead of me was in reach. Slowed down the last quarter of a mile as no one was near me either.

What would you do differently?:

For me this was the perfect race. I maintained the same pace for this 10K that I had in the 5K 2 months ago. My times are dropping dramatically as it cools down.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching. Then drank a bottle of water, and a coke. Ate a banana and some pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need more running.

Event comments:

This race was extremely well run, I thought. Plenty of volunteers, and the course was well marked. Plenty of food and drink afterward. I received a glass for 2nd place with the race name and date on it. I thought it was a nice touch, and liked it better than a medal.

Last updated: 2011-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:54 | 06.21 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/40
Overall: 20/684
Performance: Good
mile 1: 7:33 mile 2: 7:39 running up Galveston Causeway mile 3: 6:57 running down Causeway mile 4: 7:19 mile 5: 7:24 running back up Causeway mile 6: 7:02 running back down Causeway and in to finish last .2 2:00
Course: The course started at the Galveston daily news, up and over the causeway to Tiki Island, then back again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes